SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the link to the five second test - http://theclicktest.com/test/ofmckKUAKx04DCod

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Aurel,

it looks good. however, I think more simplistic fonts should be used as current fonts are very hard to read.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi @J in Calgary,

I need you opinion in this
    - If I keep this brown sidebar, how important is it to fade it. I just want to know that if I do not fade it out would it be distracting.
    - at the moment I am going to keep it fade out, I just wanted to know your opinion on it

ps - the test from the Five Second Test has 15 responses and 8 of them have chosen the orange sidebar - but I am going to keep the brown sidebar

Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as i see i found the site very very difficult when i viewed it gtom my iphone,the sidebar were cut off from the side and the main content also is very nattow.
    It coukd be posdible that you might had not created the site keeping mobile devoce in mind

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    @akurtula

Further to @Ralph.m's post and other references to the HTML validation errors.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...tml-validator/

I noticed that your design tools are similar to mine but lacking in an online validator. Take a look at the above Free Firefox addon which validates after the page has been displayed and shows either a red or green icon in the lower right corner. Happiness is a green icon

I used your email facility to send a message and after posting was presented with <b> tags in the heading. Not very professional.

[hr]

Overall I like the site apart from the font colours which was I think was not sufficient contrast.

[hr]

Mod please note I have not connected to the HTML Validator and just impressed that it is such a magnificent tool.
    Last edited by John_Betong; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:07. Reason: spelling: not my fortay

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your work looks more professional, need to concentrate more on design phase. good luck

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Duplicate post not intended

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sms2luv View Post
    As far as i see i found the site very very difficult when i viewed it gtom my iphone,the sidebar were cut off from the side and the main content also is very nattow.
    It coukd be posdible that you might had not created the site keeping mobile devoce in mind
    No, I did not implement anything for mobile. But I kind of do have mobile planed on paper.
    Few things that I would do is:
    - remove the sidebar
    - simplify the logo and the banner in general.
    - remove the grid from the portfolio page

But when I do decide, I am going to try and re-do most of it by trying the mobile first method as there are a lot of pointless detail that would not need to be loaded on mobile devices
    ** Which as far as I understand what I would need to do is put the existing css in the media quires and then create the mobile css without any media query. Something along those lines (I'll read more into it)

Thanks for your input

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keronpollard View Post
    ... need to concentrate more on design phase. good luck
    What do you mean
    Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post

I used your email facility to send a message and after posting was presented with <b> tags in the heading. Not very professional.

I am not 100% sure what <b> tag you are referring to. If you are talking about the contact form at the top, and if you tried to send me a message through that, I can say that there is no functionality to that form yet.
    I have a feeling that I did not understand what you mean, if so, I'd appreciate it if you could clarify it for me

after others mentioned the validation problems I did get a similar plugin for Chrome.
    Thanks for your input

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just before someone corrects me. I know that "mobile first" should be undertaken from the design stage, but its to late for that in this case

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akurtula View Post
    No, I did not implement anything for mobile. But I kind of do have mobile planed on paper.
    Few things that I would do is:
    - remove the sidebar
    - simplify the logo and the banner in general.
    - remove the grid from the portfolio page

But when I do decide, I am going to try and re-do most of it by trying the mobile first method as there are a lot of pointless detail that would not need to be loaded on mobile devices
    ** Which as far as I understand what I would need to do is put the existing css in the media quires and then create the mobile css without any media query. Something along those lines (I'll read more into it)

Thanks for your input
    You can also go for @media screen for mobile

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I am not 100% sure what <b> tag you are referring to. If you are talking about the contact form at the top, and if you tried to send me a message through that, I can say that there is no functionality to that form yet.
    I have a feeling that I did not understand what you mean, if so, I'd appreciate it if you could clarify it for me

after others mentioned the validation problems I did get a similar plugin for Chrome.
    Thanks for your input
    On the home page using both Firefox and Opera the title shows the following:

PHP Code:

<title>

AurelsLaba personal Blog of Aurel Kurtula | &lt;b&gt;Hi&lt;/b&gt;! I am &lt;b&gt;Aurel&lt;/b&gt;, this is my playground for my &lt;b&gt;thoughts&lt;/b&gton &lt;b&gt;web design&lt;/b&gt;

</
    title
    >>> ...validation problems I did get a similar plugin for Chrome.
    Are the errors in my cache or your validator is not working correctly?

screen_dump_aurelslabco_uk.jpg

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it. thanks for letting me know, I'm sure there could be some php function that removes the b tags. I'll get into it

Thanks a lot John

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I got it. thanks for letting me know, I'm sure there could be some php function that removes the b tags. I'll get into it

Thanks a lot John
    If you are unable to remove before displaying then try strip_tags()

http://th.php.net/manual/en/function.strip-tags.php

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes that's the kind of thing I had in mind (though did not know about that function)

I'll take care of it soon

Thanks for letting me know

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it has to fade when it's brown (I mean, it's not so distracting from the posts), but it could fade. Whatever you like.

I had the same result on one of my click tests, too--8 to 7! Kind of frustrating not to get a more definitive answer. I did see your test, and wanted to recommend that next time you do a click test, screen capture exactly the same part of the screen (there were different posts), and try to have them side by side instead of one on top of the other. However, that didn't help me get a clear answer in my case (it was a color preference check, too).

hi @J in Calgary,

I need you opinion in this
    - If I keep this brown sidebar, how important is it to fade it. I just want to know that if I do not fade it out would it be distracting.
    - at the moment I am going to keep it fade out, I just wanted to know your opinion on it

ps - the test from the Five Second Test has 15 responses and 8 of them have chosen the orange sidebar - but I am going to keep the brown sidebar

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J in Calgary View Post
    I did see your test, and wanted to recommend that next time you do a click test, screen capture exactly the same part of the screen (there were different posts)
    I noticed that too right after I finished submitting it.
    But I have started to like the sidebar being brown and on top of it your explanation is solid so I am going to keep it as it is.

I will try another test soon - but as I said the use of brown does sound logical and it does look good enough.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice website, just the font needs to be a bit smaller.
    Also try and remove the search to the top right maybe instead of under the banner.
    Chat Arena - General Forum!
    - www.chatarena.org