SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: The Big Show...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK this is the kind of opportunity I have been working towards all my life. If this opportunity works out then I'll be able to retire a multi-millionaire in ten years.

What I want to know is why am I nervous??

The reason I am posting this is because I want to know what you guys think. I have been around here so long that I consider a lot of you friends.

The project is pretty straightforward. Take what I have been doing for the last six months, rewrite it to make it leaner and more powerful and roll it out over the Internet. I know that my partners and I can do this. I know we can make it cost effective and I know we can undersell our competitors.

The only costs that I have to put up front is $115.00 for 1/4th of the incorporation costs. The projected revenue is $10,000,000 net profit/year in 3 years. Maybe its the big numbers and knowing my ideas and skills will make it happen thats making me nervous. Maybe its doubt.

Anyway I just want to know what people think. Should I go forward with this or bail out now knowing that this might be my one chance to really create a worthwhile and profitable system that improves people's lives and provides a safer working environment.

The other question I want an opinion on is this...

Even though our first viable demo is at least 3 months away, should we develop and rollout our website now? I am thinking this could be a good asset when approaching investors in the next few weeks. What do you think? We already have a potential angel who is willing and capable of investing up to $2,000,000 in startup capital.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    Should I go forward with this or bail out now knowing that this might be my one chance to really create a worthwhile and profitable system that improves people's lives and provides a safer working environment.
    You have not presented us with any obvious reason as to why you would want to bail out. If your project enables you to become financially secure, while also helping others (as it seems it will), it sounds like a rare and wonderful opportunity.

Even though our first viable demo is at least 3 months away, should we develop and rollout our website now?
    My only thought is that if you unveil your ideas publically before you have a working product, you open the door for competitors to beat you to it. Not knowing exactly what you are doing, I don't know if this is really a concern.

Good Luck!

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd say go with it... you've already put alot of effort into it right ? well then it would be wasted if you stop now..

move forward, take it easy and think things through

good luck

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    OK this is the kind of opportunity I have been working towards all my life. If this opportunity works out then I'll be able to retire a multi-millionaire in ten years.
    What I want to know is why am I nervous??

A project that grand would make anyone nervous! The excitement of a promising and rewarding future all hinged on a major undertaking certainly comes with its share of fear, uncertainty and relunctance. You know your own skills and assets better than anyone here, and if you know that your knowledge can contribute to a worthwhile project, then by all means, seize the opportunity!

Maybe its the big numbers and knowing my ideas and skills will make it happen thats making me nervous. Maybe its doubt.

It could be a combination of all of those things, which is perfectly understandable. If anyone should have a project that monumental, and its success depends on them, of course they're going to be doubtful of their abilities. But if your company has placed enough trust and confidence in you and your coworkers to get the job done, then they must know that the success of their plan is in the right hands!

Should I go forward with this or bail out now knowing that this might be my one chance to really create a worthwhile and profitable system that improves people's lives and provides a safer working environment.

I never thought I'd hear you say the phrase "bail out" Seriously though, you know that there's a way you can help enrich others' lives and work, your company knows that you have a capability to turn it into a reality, so that leaves it up to you to go forward with the decision. My advice would be to really put your heart into your work and give it your best effort..if it doesn't end up working out the way you planned, at least you can say you gave it your all.

Even though our first viable demo is at least 3 months away, should we develop and rollout our website now? I am thinking this could be a good asset when approaching investors in the next few weeks.

You could create a basic site, but not include too many details, just to be cautious of the competition. As the project nears completion, I would add more and more information to the site. Once the program is finished, you'll have a fully-functional website to compliment it.

I hope that some of my advice can help you make a decision, however, the final choice is yours. Everyone here knows that you're the best person to tackle this job, so go for it!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be less than human if you were NOT nervous about all of this.

I second what was said earlier: I see no reason NOT to go for it. What's the worst that can happen? It fails? If that's the case, then I would definetly go for it.

Besides: it would kill me to pass something like that up...I'd always be wondering what would have happened. I'm willing to bet you're the same kind of guy in that respect.

Good luck!

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is the possibilty of becoming financially secure without having to work for years to get there, I know i'd try to do so.

Like what was said before, if you've already put a lot of hard work and effort into it, keep it going.

If you believe it can work (and by the sounds of it, it can) then by all means, go for it !!

rgds,