SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requesting Site Dedicated Server Suggestion...

Hi Guys,

I plan to change my hosting from my current host which crashed because of Heavy Load. My Current Hosting Configuration is

Xeon 2.4 GHz Quad (X3430)
    Memory: 4 GBHard Drive(s): 500 GB SATA II
    Bandwidth: 100Mbps Unmetered*
    NO RAID

Now, I am confused between these 2 below Dedicated servers from 2 different companies. Price are same for both;

Intel Quad Xeon E3-1260L
    Memory: 16 GB DDR3 ECC
    Hard Drive(s): 2x 250 GB SATA II (possible upgrade)
    Bandwidth: 10 TB
    100Mbit Network Connection
    Set-up Fee: $0.00
    Location Romania

VS

Intel Xeon Quadcore X3440 2.40GHz
    8GB DDR2 RAM
    Hard Drive: 250GB SATA2 (7.200 rpm)
    Monthly Bandwidth: 2000 GB
    Port Speed: 100MBPS
    IP Addresses: 2
    Location Netherlands
    No Setup Fees
    Full Root SSH Access
    Remote Reboot / Reverse DNS
    Setup Time: 1h - 24h

Please Advice....

Thanks,
    Nuk

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    With what you have told us, I would do Option 1 because the Process, RAM, and Bandwidth are better. However I would upgrade the Hard Drives to the fastest I could get and I would want RAID 10 running on the data drives with a mirrored OS. I would use the Linux OS.

You have to consider the latency that will be from Romania to your location versus the latency to the Netherlands for your primary user base. You could do a network trace to determine this.

Have you also considered using a Content Delivery Network? This may help the service that you provide to your end customers.

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerStorm View Post
    With what you have told us, I would do Option 1 because the Process, RAM, and Bandwidth are better. However I would upgrade the Hard Drives to the fastest I could get and I would want RAID 10 running on the data drives with a mirrored OS. I would use the Linux OS.

You have to consider the latency that will be from Romania to your location versus the latency to the Netherlands for your primary user base. You could do a network trace to determine this.

Have you also considered using a Content Delivery Network? This may help the service that you provide to your end customers.

Regards,
    Steve
    My Primary Audience would be from US and UK. Basically I get sudden surges in traffic on specific days and my current host crashes. So I need the configuration to handle such sudden increase in traffic.

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd install your site onto a test provision of a server that you plan buying, then load test it to your predicted maximum likely level too ensure it's fit for purpose. A good reason to use virtualized servers over a dedicated server is that you can switch an instance on for a few hours to do this then switch off at very little cost, where most dedicated server companies will want a setup fee that rules this out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also go with option 1. Has more ram and 2 disks which you can setup software raid on at least.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been 4 days since I am on Option 1 and I am thoroughly dissapointed.

The server is crashing for the weekend event. All that I am getting from the host on a live chat is "Seems to be high DDOS attack in your server"..

I am paying $200 for this and this is what I hear. Terribly disappointed. I don't have enough money to try out Option 2 which is a different server until the next billing cycle. Any suggestions..

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

First are you sure that your application is NOT getting DDOS attacked? If this is happening your going to get this problem wherever you host it. Most applications/infrastructures are designed to handle DDOS attacks, however it does not sound - if you site is being attacked - that yours responds when the DDOS type traffic appears.

Steve
    ictus==""

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    nuk,

I'm about to go with a dedi from WebHostingBuzz (data centers in the US and Europe) which offer a nice range of performance and options to suit at a price which seems to me to be lower than standard (using great hardware). For instance, their basic dedi (Option 1) offers:

SandyBridge Xeon E3-1230 4 x 3.2Ghz 8MB Cache
    Supermicro 1u Rackmount (supports 4 HDDs)
    4 IP addresses included
    Tier IV Dallas datacenter
    8GB DDR3-1333 ECC
    1 x Seagate 1TB 6Gbps SATA 32MB Cache
    10,000GB Bandwidth
    100Mbps Port
    Choice of Operating Systems
    FREE Blesta Billing Software
    IPMI access

They're advertising a sale price now at WebHostingBuzz Dedicated Servers but I don't know how long that will last. That page has a link to options ("Service Upgrades") which you may also be interested in using.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    I'd install your site onto a test provision of a server that you plan buying, then load test it to your predicted maximum likely level too ensure it's fit for purpose.
    ^^^^^^^^

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd also suggest that you get your application and server fully optimized, which will require the services of a good systems administrator and developer.
    Most hosting companies supply servers with the default mysql and apache configurations, which aren't optimal. Most applications don't use caching as much as they should, or have the database structure or queries as optimal as they could be.