http://projects.gnome.org/gedit/screenshots.html # Screens
    http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binar...32/gedit/2.30/ # Download

I use it on my Linux & Mac boxes

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PHPEd which you have already tried by the looks of things, but I find Eclipse buggy, bloated, slow and generally not that nice to use. I hate it with a passion! The only thing I miss from Smarty is the Ctrl-Shift-R functionality (find resource), which works well.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    I use PHPEd which you have already tried by the looks of things, but I find Eclipse buggy, bloated, slow and generally not that nice to use. I hate it with a passion! The only thing I miss from Smarty is the Ctrl-Shift-R functionality (find resource), which works well.
    I've been using Eclipse for 4 1/2 years and I can't say that the current versions Indigo/Juno are buggy and not bloated compared to other IDEs. If one is to download just the core, PDT and Web Tools it can easily be run a a single processor, single core, with 1 Gb of RAM. Where instability can come in is the version of Java used. Of course PHPEdit is a solid tool and Eclipse, being an IDE will not compete with the speed or the simplicity of it.
    ictus==""

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Eclipse and had problems. Would keep crashing for me. I then moved on to phpDesigner and don't regret it one bit - though it's not free. Has the required colouring and intellisense. Has more [such as debugger], but that's all I've required yet. I use for PHP, [X]HTML, CSS, Javascript.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Stormrider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Eclipse at work - and I used it years ago as well - and it has many of the same problems. For example, you hit Ctrl-S to save, but your 'save' action gets queued behind a 40 minute 'Building Workspace' action. It's a complete joke when it does stuff like that!

PHPEd is also an IDE by the way (as is PHPEdit, which I have never used).

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    I used Eclipse at work - and I used it years ago as well - and it has many of the same problems. For example, you hit Ctrl-S to save, but your 'save' action gets queued behind a 40 minute 'Building Workspace' action. It's a complete joke when it does stuff like that!

PHPEd is also an IDE by the way (as is PHPEdit, which I have never used).
    Ah PHPEd and not PHPEdit, sorry .

Were you using Eclipse on Windows or Linux?

I have only every used it on Linux and had very few such problems on Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSuse. Java compatibility has been the only problem but currently it is very stable on Sun Java 1.6.29 32bit.

I will have to look over PHPEd and see what advantages it may bring over Eclipse; however having the power to switch between Java, HTML, CSS, PHP and C# on in the same environment has been really good for me. I am however glad that PHPEd is working well for you.
    ictus==""

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, Netbeans doesn't have the issues you guys (and/or gals) have been talking about.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ice2kewl View Post
    I tried Eclipse and had problems. Would keep crashing for me. I then moved on to phpDesigner and don't regret it one bit - though it's not free. Has the required colouring and intellisense. Has more [such as debugger], but that's all I've required yet. I use for PHP, [X]HTML, CSS, Javascript.
    BTW you can set up different debuggers for PHP and other languages in Eclipse. The PDT package comes with a debugger that you can simply enable in the preferences (with little fuss) and will allow you to profile your code in the local or an external browser.
    ictus==""

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have used the following editors:

1. Aptana
    2. HTML Kit
    3. Net Beans
    4. Coffee Cup HTML Editor
    5. JEdit
    6. Notepad++

I've never used Vim, the biggest issue with me is having all the best plug-ins installed. The auto-complete is a big issue, likewise with the shortcuts for quick coding. So far I am really loving Notepad++. It's by far the best editor for myself. I use this with FingerText and it's by far the most productive.

I found NetBeans too hungry on memory. HTML-Kit has an issue with UTF-8. Aptana was selective on opening files, occationally it crashed, but had a great interface and took much less memory than NetBeans. So for my I stuck with Notepad++.

Off Topic:

I did not mention Dreamweaver I should have mention it somewhere. WYSIWTF!
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenarules View Post
    I like class / interface names in teal, but function names in black. In addition, only ONE seemed to have a good set of options for automatic coding conventions (Netbeans for the win there), so I could specify if I wanted opening { on a new line or not, and things like that.
    Hi there,
    Did you look at http://www.htmlvalidator.com/ ?
    It might be what you're looking for.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My IDE of choice is PHPStorm.

http://www.jetbrains.com/phpstorm/

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by esn003 View Post
    Hi there,
    Did you look at http://www.htmlvalidator.com/ ?
    It might be what you're looking for.
    Actually, no, I haven't, as it's over 50 bucks. But you know what? It actually looks like a must-have tool for HTML validation, regardless of what it can do with PHP. Thanks for sharing that.

I Should also mention that Microsoft Expression Web has built in basic PHP highlighting, if I hadn't yet. Kind of interesting.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Serenarules,

CodeLobster is well worth a look and it has a free version.

http://www.codelobster.com/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed code lobster (my pc is beginning to look like an IDE farm, lol) and I found it pretty nice. The intellisense was responsive, picked up my own code, in addition to things inherited from PHP itself. Formatting was nice, and there were several good options in the preferences dialogs. Code folding introduced a boxed elipses, which could be hovered over for a popup showing the folded code. There were still some limitations on syntax highlighting options however. As show in the attached image, setting the "Interface Name" option, under the "PHP" set, only affected appearance while defining the interface. When defining an implementation, the interface name is affected by "Class Name", which makes both class name and implemented interface the same color. Odd. Perhaps they can fix that if brought to their attention. Otherwise, a nice little editor, once you close down all the un-needed docked windows.

code-lobster.png

Keep the suggestions coming guys. I'm a bit ill at the moment (bronchial infection), but next week I'd like to compile my findings in a little table, which I'll post here, comparing features and faults of each product. Maybe that will help others zone in on the right tool for them.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Serenarules

I like your comprehensive report.

Here is another free editor: BlueFish

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

No rush for the report and hope you get well soon.
    Last edited by John_Betong; Jul 13, 2012 at 18:50. Reason: spelling: not my fortay

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I use Scite for PHP / HTML / CSS / C / C++, etc. Its not an IDE, just a simple text editor with syntax highlighting. I think you can turn auto-complete on, but I don't use it....
    Its OSS, so fits your budget well!

http://www.scintilla.org

Regards,

John

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have SciTe as well. Though I won't comment on it, as I already commented on Notepad++, which also uses scintilla. For the most part, all editors based on scintilla will have the same options, even if they are accessed slightly differently within the host program. Please refer the page below for other editors based on scintilla. If listed there, I probably won't look at it, unless there's something truly unique about it. But I like your taste in simplicity. =)

http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaRelated.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For PHP coding I've been using Aptana Studio and like it. It's free too.