User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Web Design Company Website

Please only review the homepage as the sub pages are still being tinkered with and won't be done until the end of the week.

The site is not for mobile browsers yet as that won't be ready until another few weeks.

My website is http://www.invisionblue.com

1. I'm curious if the load time is fine. The site is 5mb in size because of my portfolio. I may add jquery to the images so they load when you begin scrolling instead of on page load.
    2. The inspiring space exploration vehicle is reference to the Exploring the Web reference.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <meta name="description" content="Get a unique, affordable, and creative
    website design by local Cincinnati web designer and WordPress expert Scott
    Botkins." />
    (124 characters)

<title>Creative Web Design by Scott Botkins | Invision Blue</title>
    (52 characters

Your listing
    Creative Web Design by Scott Botkins | Invision Blue
    Get a unique, affordable, and creative website design by local Cincinnati web
    designer and WordPress expert Scott Botkins.
    www.invisionblue.com/

Google search for "Creative Web Design", very competive words or title.
    What words do you think they would use to find your site ??

Your title "invisionblue" is number 1 pg 1 in google.
    How many people would look for that ??

Remember "Google" was unknown when they started, now the name is very well
    known. How do you expect to promote your site ??
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that is something I'm currently working on actually. I set it to that for the time being. What I don't want to do is spam it or have it for Google to read only instead of the user. I'm already ranked high (first and second pages) for local Cincinnati keywords.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the look of the site. I didn't have any issues with load time. I LOVE the tag line "let's design a website together," because it's so accessible. It makes me think you will listen to specific needs of your clients, instead of just slapping together something pre-packaged or worse, taking over without making it do what the client wants. The problem? That great tag line is below the fold. I think your image header should be shortened.

I also wonder (I'm not sure what to suggest to avoid this problem, either), whether it's too distracting to have all of those competing website pages in your top image with their individual logos and site titles right next to your site title. I know you want to give users the idea of what you're about right away, so I understand why you have those pictures there, but a brand new visitor is getting a lot of bengals and less invision blue.

Your basic explanation page with the space vehicle is clear and easy to read. I like the text, the font size, the color contrast, the layout--everything. The message, again, is very accessible and inviting, but definitely professional. The design quote calculator is a great tool, because visitors who are new and have no clue can gather enough information to know whether they can afford to pursue this or not.

I don't think I've ever seen a site that scrolls down through the main nav tabs. It was a little surprising, but you've got the highlight feature so I can see where I am, and it was easier to check out your basic information just by scrolling down. Will it stay that way?

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes the scrolling feature will stay that way. I've made every page have it's own unique navigation, but also a sitemap that is easy to navigate through all of the other pages so the user doesn't get lost or confused.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually did have a problem with the load time, but your site looks great. The blue is a little bright for me, but if you like it then that's your choice.

I'm wondering if you can soften the transition the grey bar as you transition from you top main slide show to the "Let's design a website together".

Also, I like the idea of what you're doing with the "Let's design a website section", but it seems like a big block of content. I don't know if there is a way to simplify it.

The home page just seems like multiple pages crammed into one. I think that you could simplify the home page somehow and link your visitors to those sections in other pages.

Overall your site looks good, but I think you can work some on the structure of breaking up the content into their own pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! Relamente I quite liked your site, the color tones in combination, the menu is nice and also scroll this site as well. The charging time is not a problem, but my speed is a little high for deizer correctly, try to get a pc with a very low speed and test yourself. At most, I think with acamento before it will be ready to get good deals! Best wishes and good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall the design appears flawless to me (which is probably what you'd expect from a webdesign company website).
    Load time is decent I'd say. The good thing is that the immediately visible portions of the site appears quickly.
    Still it might be worth working on speed. For me it took 20 seconds to load completely (onLoad event).

Since everything is in one page I'd suggest you only load what's necessary at first so the browser stops showing the "loading icon".
    There's really no reason for loading 20 extremely high resolution screenshots all at once (except for it being the easiest solution ).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design but the color combination I did not like, black and white quite depressing for me

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,
    My 2 cents:
    Overall the site is nice, I like the way it's all on one page - I didn't pay attention to the load time because I'm on a proxy so it's unfair to test on such an inconsistent connection!

The logo: Nice and simple - although I think the blue is a bit too "primary" for my liking, and it sinks into the black a bit too much, it looks like it needs something more to stand out. Also the text underneath is anti aliasing in a slightly unpleasant way - maybe make the font bolder to set it out a bit.

The menu itself is nice, although when you click on your about link, the menu changes to something completely different. I found this frustrating.

In terms of font use, it looks nice when you're using serif fonts in the first section, why did you change it to sans-serif for the headers afterwards? It comes across a little inconsistent and on the portfolio section doesn't really stand out, it took me about 10 seconds of looking to realise I could scroll left and right, so maybe provide some more visual cues there.

On the about part of the page it looks like your top padding/margin is more than your side padding/margin - I'd make this more equidistant.

Apart from that, it looks nice!
    Check out my new blog - and let me know if you have any content suggestions (HTML5, CSS3, jQuery tutorials) - http://www.display-nun.co.uk

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, good design and very effective flash video. Well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be making some adjustments that you have mentioned and laso improving the speed load this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by leandros21 View Post
    I like it, good design and very effective flash video. Well done
    I don't have a flash video on my website.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

It looks tidy and is well built, nice work.

I would cut down the portfolio though (or move it to another page altogether for loading time), I also found it a little hard to navigate, the images are taller than my screen so the images would be better to the right and left of the main images.
    The main heading is too close to the body text, needs some whites pace. Actually, that whole section looks a bit messy to me, the text and image don't really work together.

The "About Invision Blue" has a much cleaner layout and use of white space.

The form at the bottom looks a little odd as well, inputs are too rounded with not enough space, and lose the blue outline focus in webkit too.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yes, it's a nice looking site, and I like the scroll effect. I agree with Mark that the About section has a nicer style. As for the head shot, I presume that's you. It's a nice idea to have a picture like that, but it might be nicer to see you smiling more. It looks a bit like you are about to pick a fight with someone to me. Might scare some clients off.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still working on some, however I managed to take my page size from 5mb down to 936kb

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Botkins View Post
    Please only review the homepage as the sub pages are still being tinkered with and won't be done until the end of the week.

The site is not for mobile browsers yet as that won't be ready until another few weeks.

My website is http://www.invisionblue.com

1. I'm curious if the load time is fine. The site is 5mb in size because of my portfolio. I may add jquery to the images so they load when you begin scrolling instead of on page load.
    2. The inspiring space exploration vehicle is reference to the Exploring the Web reference.
    Hey what i would like to tell you that...

web 3.0 is not running now i would like to suggest your to use web 2.0 concept which is good for ranking as well. This is as per my experience.
    by the way load time is good & as folcon said you have to work on your website keyword which you will get benefits for organic ranking.

what you think @navyfalcon about web 3.0 & web 2.0 concept?
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jul 22, 2012 at 05:47. Reason: Corrected mentioned name

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the blue buttons. I think the picture of the robot with the little numbers around it (explaining bits and pieces of the robot) would probably look better if it was some kind of image of web design in the process of happening, like a page being built with the little numbers showing various aspects of web design, like HTML, javascript, flash, css, or whatever.

In the "design calculator" area you say you are not reliable for lost files etc. I think you mean to say that you are not liable. It's probably not a good idea to say that you are unreliable in any context.

I also really like the "lets design a website together" tag line. It should probably have an exclamation point behind it, though! I'm using a net book so I have a very small screen. As a result the tag line is not immediately visible because of the large web headers pics at the top of the page. It may be worth descreasing the size of those so the tag line is more prominent, but the site still looks good regardless of that issue.

Good work. Keep it up!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

I had a look at your site and in general your site looks fine, but I have a few notes:

* Speed:
    - 8 Font files: do you really need them all?
    - JavaScript files: 4 jQuery plugins: can be combined into 1
    - Image: provide a height and width to prevent repainting/rerendering the page, page rendering will be faster.
    - Image: thumbs images can be combined into a sprite, have a look here: http://compass-style.org/help/tutorials/spriting/
    - Image: run smush.it (or optigen) on your image to reduce even further.

I think that your site is fast enough, so I am not sure if this is really worth the trouble.

* Layout
    - Font rhythm / grid : I feel that the whole rhythm is slightly off, especially the spacing around the main header ( Let's design a website together ).
    Maybe you should use a grid background that actually aligns to the font rhythm?
    - Scrolling and screen-size: well done, good balance of working for smaller and large screens ( I am on an 21 inch screen, looks good ).
    - Color usage: the green button really stands out as the color is unique on the page, blue links for usability, really no comments here.

* Content / SEO
    - Light tone of voice, suitable for the type of website/company.
    - "Coming soon", I know this is in a beta stage, but I would suggest to publish each stage as a finished product. Coming soon doesn't sounds profesional. Just a detail.
    - Maybe you should provide a more clear link to the quote calculator, or build it right into the project design project form. If price is something you are competing with, it better be more visible on your site.
    - Your content is too thin for Google. You could fix that by optimizing the page for your company name and main keywordpair, then remove the other content and load each section with ajax so that the keyword rich content does not get mixed up with the content from other pages. .

In general your site is based on a pattern (1 page + scrolling navigation ) that is used a lot on the web and very effective (someone pointed out to move the content to other pages,but I wouldn't do that at all!). Maybe clients have not seen this pattern before as it is not common in other websites, so it might provide a good starting point (wow effect?).

I like it, looks clean and clear, especially the client benefits/tasks are high at the top: screenshots of projects in the header, contact info / project details / price calculator .
    Overall a well done site.

L.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Load time is fast. No problems there.

Logo is good. Menu is fine but the gray font makes it almost impossible to see on the black background.

Background images are a little dark, brighten them up and they'd pop much more on the black background and would make the whole site feel brighter.

"Let's design a website together" should be higher on the page. I also don't like the font on this portion. In fact I'd make the whole top black portion smaller by a 1/3 so that the portion in white (which looks nice) can appear above the fold (without scrolling down).

I almost feel like there is too much information on the home page, I'd like it better separated throughout the site. It all looks good but it doesn't feel like it all needs to be dumped on the home page. Make sure to have your strongest element ABOVE the fold as many people will not bother to scroll down.

Hope that helps a little. Overall though it just needs a bit of tweaking but it doesn't look bad at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the site look is very good and easy to navigate. All details view in the homp[age itself make easy to navigate.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. No problem on load time for me. I like the background images being dimmed with the bengals fixed and forward. I'm not a big fan of carousel images. If they don't appeal I find them too blatant; if they do appeal,they've disappeared. Yours, dimmed and with the shutter closinga, allows me to get your primary message (let's design a website together) first and without moving see some very nice work. I like the way the dimmed images bring in a nice amount of color without overwhelming. Although the page in my browser gives your primary message in the bottom third, it is the most prominent because of the depth of the background carousel. The menu is where I would expect it so this different design has enough tradition that I don't feel lost. The gray of the menu could be just a bit brighter, not much. As you have used it I like the "primary blue".

My impression is that there is real artistic aesthetic being applied to standard web design. If I landed here on a search (or by mistake!) I would stay to find out more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Web Designing

Hi Scott,
    i saw your site. Looks nice. Really good looking but need some color change in some templates.

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:44. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been busy with projects that I haven't had a chance to reply.

I'm going to revisit the "above the fold" issue this weekend. I'm not a fan of this technique and especially these days when everybody is using different devices, screen resolutions etc. I do have a call to action (green button) above the fold which I believe is important.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Website home page describes Three Section One About You and service then Portfolio and Then Contact us . That Looks Unique and Nice . But you Display portfolio ' Work Showcase ' with Each Inner Page , not looking good to Provides on each page .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Friend,

Your site is well, you have miss the keywords tag but the over all your site is good.