SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for advice on improving looks of the website

I recently launched a forum with the features for upvoting and downvoting threads and comments, it's similar in functionality to site: reddit.com.

Website is in Georgian language. I would really appreciate your feedback and critique. Any tips on how the design could be improved (positioning, spacing, sizes, color, etc...) are greatly appreciated.

Here's the site: http://axali.info (axali means "new" in Georgian)
    Translated version: http://translate.google.com/translat...tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

Please share your opinion on how it could be improved.

Thank you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally hate the design of reddit.com so I do not think you should have chosen that style.

But if you use your right column for your top links and add a bit of color to your site. it might look a bit better.

also give the entire site more breathing space with margins (which you dont seem to have any - just by looking at it). Also I personally do not like the header and footer.

basically, it might be that reddit.com design is very popular but I have it (as it is).

So take advantage of right column, footer, header, and give everything more breathing space and your site will be better than reddit.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good, like reddit
    The color scheme is better than reddit. I would make a bigger logo

Good luck!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fully honest I do not like the theme of the site. It seems slightly messy to me and could use some work. Remember simple is the new thing for designs. Less is more so you really should work on making it stand out more but have a clearer and easier to use theme.

You seem to have a nice idea for it though so well done Keep up the hard work but the theme could be better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice website. I personally feel that it looks better than reddit.com. But seriously, the one thing I'd suggest is making some space. I found them a little hard to read. I'm not sure if it's the language too, but at least making it less messy would help.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think, so that It has to be language problem. Because still I didn't faced any problem regarding the language. If you are improving the website that regarding look then you have to be more conscious regarding the over all content and over all CSS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look & feel is just average. My suggestion is please change the color. Use some bright texture.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there are a lot of sites that use this format, so my opinion might be in the minority, but when you are trying to encourage participation in the form of comments, I think having a "down" button might work against you. I've seen discussion forums where other users could add "karma" or points or something based on how much they liked other comments. People who offer comments and don't receive positive feedback are less inclined to post again. Obviously, if their comments are helpful, you would think they would get more votes, but new users might post just once and be discouraged from further posts.

I agree with other posters that a bright color at the top might give it a more appealing look, and just a little more space between each listing would be a good idea. Can you make the up and down arrows a little bit smaller? They extend beyond the size of each listing, and it might look cleaner if they were better aligned. Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion reddit site looks awfull so you can use a more good looking template with more attracting colors. As a non-georgian speaker or reader i tought it was an ad-site like those domains without hosting.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at both the translated and untranslated sites. For what I am going to say, it applies to both. It looks like a page of advertisements. However, the information in the "Welcome to" box on the right sounds very interesting . . . it would make me want to browse the site if I happened to notice that box.

To my eye the most important change would be to put the "Welcome to" title and content as the primary part of the page (header?) and have the topics indented somewhat. Also, a little color, even muted color, would appeal, I think. Alternate topic headings (odd-even) of a bit of color even if shades of gray, would look more like an intentional website of content rather than advertisements.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of these kinds of aggregator sites, because to me it's not clear what I'm supposed to do... just read through and read article after article? SO I think it's good that you've put the information on the right side to tell me what I'm supposed to be doing there.

One challenge is the advertising page... I would have a lot more information on there for a potential advertiser who might want to work with you. Where will their ad be placed? How much will it cost? Do you negotiate rates for longer placement? That kind of thing. Maybe look at the "media kit" or "web advertising rates" which are good terms to Google, to see what could go on that page.

Overall, looks great I think.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infoglobal View Post
    Look & feel is just average. My suggestion is please change the color. Use some bright texture.
    Hi , This is annahussy, You mentioned that add some bright texture through color. Can you tell me that what kind of bright texture you suggest to choose? I prefer to go for bright and light color combination.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right and left side should be given with more margins, is the categories of your navigation menu too much?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it so?I don't think that The categories of notification will be vast according to Menu. Please can you describe me properly that what kind of changes the website must want? Thanks , I am not criticize your thoughts as well.