User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback on my freelance webdesign site / portfolio

Hello,

This is the first site i've designed since taking some time off from designing web sites. I just wanted to put together a website to showcase my work in one place and the services I offer. I wanted it to be somewhat quirky/creative but still professional enough to be taken seriously by a potential client. I'm a beginner, just designed a few sites but I really enjoy it - so any feedback would be nice and appreciated.

Thanks.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stefn927 View Post
    - so any feedback would be nice and appreciated.
    And it would be so much easier to give you feedback if you gave us the URL.
    Don't serve your porridge and then go out for a walk.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice effort. the colors are quite heavy on the eyes. and the text also quite BIG. but on the whole its looks nice. i will give 6/10 ))

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would work with the fonts a little bit. The three boxes at the bottom seems too close and possibly too big in font size. You may want to signup at typekit.com and play around with nice fonts. As mentioned above I would play around with the colors some, perhaps try kuler.adobe.com to find some greens, purples that are easier on the eyes.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is some feedback:

1. Put in links for the social media icons on the bottom
    2. Consider using HTML5 is XHTML 1.0 Strict, one or the other would be fine.
    3. Make links change on hover within the body, traditionally websites have the link color stand out, and an underline once hovered over
    4. Inconsistency of the main links for the homepage and the inside pages. The main links hover differently on these pages within FF and Chrome.
    5. Consider having a services page
    6. Also consider using web fonts for your groovy fonts
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first glance, I think this site is really fun and I'm interested to know more. You have to walk a fine line between connecting your pizza image to your web design service clearly, without hitting users over the head with different connections.

*Delete the line that says "Forget phone books." The fact that you even mention phone books makes you look outdated, which is the opposite of what you're trying to say. You might also cut the second line there (and if you keep it, there's a typo--it should be "online") to make it say "Share who you are, what you do, and how to get in touch." That's catchy--a good place to start.

*On your Featured Projects link, show the pictures at the top, and move the text about the site objectives below the pictures. This has to do with user expectation--if they click on Featured Projects, they expect to see pictures of websites you've created, so you want to deliver. The explanation is a bonus for people who want to know more details.

*I don't know what I expected, but I sort of hoped that when I clicked on the pizza, it would be a link to some place really exciting.

*I am probably a non-traditional user, but I really like the overall look and feel. Not sure if you changed fonts since the previous comments, but it looks great to me--fun and unique.

*I would like to see an "About" page, or at least some biographical information on the Contact page. I liked reading the mission, but before I would contact someone, I would like to know a little about who they are, what their credentials are, and a photo is good, too.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello friend! I found a little out of "movement" try to put animated buttons. I think it should also give more prominence to the social media icons. Another thing is the presentation of content, maybe a bit to lessen the power of titles. Also missed links. In the more you know you can improve the footer ... With some adjustments cited by staff will be pretty cool! Hug.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2 cents:

Get a better image - I don't think the cut out pizza image really works, look into stock photography!

There seems to be 10px padding at the top - lose that.

The top green bit looks a bit blurry - have you upscaled it?

I'd probably add some top and bottom padding to the nav items - they look a bit squashed in.

You cant click on the twitter/facebook icons - is this intentional??

Consider adding more spacing to the bottom 3 columns and adding padding/borders to the images.

The projects page seems a bit all over the place - consider revisiting that.

Hope this helps.
    Check out my new blog - and let me know if you have any content suggestions (HTML5, CSS3, jQuery tutorials) - http://www.display-nun.co.uk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over all, I like it.
    - as @adover said, get a different image - I would strongly recommend you go for a cartoony pizza (at least a drawn image), it would go really well with you banner splashes
    - maybe try to use jagged edges (ish) for you top parts of your green squares, on the banner, it would go well with the hill. and on the footer it would match that same hill
    - maybe try to have the green strip of your banner and foot to have 100% width, but still keeping you content wrapped at 968px
    - use a different color for your 3 heading (ie, Web Design / Development)
    - push your banner right at the top and the footer right at the bottom refere to this

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

On the whole I personally quite like the design of the page. It gives a lot of information straight up from the home page without leading me feeling overwhelmed. In saying that I thin I have to concur with a few of the posts that have come before. Im not sure if all of the content is up to par with your web design skills. The combination of the pizza, the logo and the color scheme left me a little adrift. For a second there I thought I was looking at a page advertising a kindergarten.

Also perhaps think of chunking the info on the projects page a little. To be honest Im not sure If I would read through it the way it is.

Like I said though over all I wish I could code like you! haha.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good site

i like your site but you have to improve many things.
    You have to add social media sharing site buttons
    <snip>
    Last edited by ralph.m; Jul 30, 2012 at 06:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I really like about your site is that it has something unique (the pizza). This is an idea you should keep, but do in a different way. First off, the image you are using is poorly cut out and doesn't look well. As mentioned earlier, try finding a different stock photo, draw a cartoon pizza or maybe find an icon to represent it. The second thing you should change is the header "What's for dinner.". Considering the typography and placement of the header this is the first thing a user will see when it visits your site. Combined with the pizza, I would have thought this was the website of an italian restaurant. You should change that title to describe your services, rather than a metaphor.

Your main navigation menu gives feedback when hovering over the elements, which is great. However, the links give no indication that they are clickable! First you should add some padding to the green background. Then you should maybe underline the text, or make the background around the links look more like buttons. You could do that either by using a gradient, or adding border to the left and right side. You could also add a margin to the link to separate it from the banner.

Other than that, you should try to encourage the user to take action. The "see my work"-link should "pop out" to make it easy for the user to take the next step. You should also always have a clearly visible link to a "contact me"-page. After all, this is what you want the user to do, and you don't want to make it hard, would you?