User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HostOnce - Have you heard?

Has anybody heard of HostOnce? We have a client who is using them and their website went down a few days ago. HostOnce's phone # just goes to static, there's no email response and their support forum does work... The information we found was pretty negative so the client is moving hosting but we need to get a hold of HostOnce for the domain transfer. Any thoughts on handling non-responsive hosting companies? ... or (and the unwanted option) should we just forget about the domain and find something else?

Thanks,
    --Nick
    Nicholas Rhodes
    Asgard Development
    http://www.asgard-dev.com

SitePoint Zealot coloradojaguar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a tough call but if the hosting company can't be reached what else can you do but move on? How long have you been trying to contact them? Sorry to hear you are having such issues. Did you research the company before you signed on and how long have you been with them? I always try to leave my domain independent of my hosting. I would give it until Monday. If they had a major issues then they make take some time to resolve it or they could have just packed up and moved along. It does happen.
    Hosted solutions provider since 1998 - UK, Atlanta, L.A.,
    JaguarPC.com - Managed Hybrid Servers |
    Managed VPS Hosting | Dedicated Servers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site too has been down since 7/6/2012. I have emailed and emailed and tried calling with no response. I started a complaint with the BBB. I really just want my domain - which still says is registered under them.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Question: Why would you register with your host with all the advise here to NEVER do that?

Okay, too late for you but you could appeal to your region's controlling registrar for transfer the domain to a responsible registrar while you're searching for a reputable host.

Repeat:

I offer my common advice:

1. Establish your requirements, i.e., Linux, Apache 2.4+, PHP 5.2+, MySQL 5+ and storage and bandwidth requirements. Remember to allocate for log files, databases, e-mail (attachments) and growth.

1a. (added) If you're looking for a VPS or dedicated server, remember to ask what the host's managed services provide. Remember, a non-managed host must be monitored by you 24/7/365!

2. Know what control panels you are willing to use, i.e., WHM/cPanel. cPanel is the standard bearer for Linux systems and Plesk for Windows systems.

3. Know how much CPU time/RAM you need. If you need a lot of processing power (like Zoomla and other CMS's), this will be a major factor. These, however, are usually specified only for VPS/dedicated accounts and automatically throttled for shared/reseller accounts.

4. Know your target (the Internet is fast but some latency could hurt so the closer your server to your target audience the better) location and try to host as close to your target as possible.

5. SEARCH (using the above parameters) recording each feasible host as well how well it satisfies your requirements and budget. Spreadsheets are good for this as you can assign weighting to the different requirements and how well they were met to generate numerical scores.

6. Create a shortlist based on the database you've created in step 5 then SEARCH for comments about the host (avoiding obvious shills and websites which advertise for that host).

7. The last step (other than selection) is to contact each shortlisted host with a question (I've used .htaccess and mod_rewrite availability, which services are managed by the host, the availability of IP addresses - you will require one for each SSL you use - or ask to test proprietary control panels - they may make life too difficult for you) and record the response time and your level of satisfaction with the response.

8. Finally, you'll have enough information to make an intelligent selection.

Been there, done that (all too frequently in the past).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DK,

Thanks for the search information. I was actually with hostonce for over 5 years. I did not have this problem until recently. When I first joined their customer service was very good. Now I know much better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Albanese View Post
    DK,

Thanks for the search information. I was actually with hostonce for over 5 years. I did not have this problem until recently. When I first joined their customer service was very good. Now I know much better.

Im glad I found this, as Im with hostonce too, for 8 years! Ive not had probs like this before and wasnt sure if it was only me. Lucky for me it was time to update my site, so I downloaded the whole site structure...then a few days later couldnt connect with ftp..

Then I couldn't connect to my site with its regular address..

Today I googled my site and usually you will see loads of links to various pages in the results....but not today. Google must have spidered the web again and not finding my site live has totally dropped it from all its result pages. The only time my site is mentioned in the results.... is on others sites who have either linked to me or similar. Effectively Im off the web!

I wrote to all of hostonces email addys, TWICE now with no replies whatsoever....their support page and status page dont load either. I found a link to say the billing/accounts email addresses wont reply to anything about tech probs etc....so in an effort to get some response, I have now written to the billing email requesting a refund of hosting fees....now thats something the 'billing' email should be able to respond too

I also contacted another host service, explained that when I joined hostonce they supplied both the name and the hosting....and could the new hosts transfer it for me? They advised YES...but obviously not the content, which I downloaded anyway....and bloody glad I chose to d-load when I did as it was literally the only copy!! Bad idea that I know but my backup cd got corrupted and so cant get at the backup anyway.

So if they are down for a while, or even for good, if I hadnt downloaded the complete website, 700 pages....Id have lost all content too. As Im in the UK its too expensive to call. My plan is therefore, to give them one week more, then change hosts. To UK hosts who can be called cheaply! Or visited even...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having exactly the same problem. My website is down since a few days and hostonce is not answering any email or phone.
    You wrote that you found a new hosting provider who is able to transfer the domain even there is a lock on it.
    Would you please let me know the name of this hosting provider so I'm able to contact them as well.
    Thank you!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick1010 View Post
    I'm having exactly the same problem. My website is down since a few days and hostonce is not answering any email or phone.
    You wrote that you found a new hosting provider who is able to transfer the domain even there is a lock on it.
    Would you please let me know the name of this hosting provider so I'm able to contact them as well.
    Thank you!

Wow that was lucky I just checked for any replies to this and saw yours! The host I talked to via live chat was: ipage.com

But they just say change where the name points too. They cannot say whether the name will still be mine if hostonce have gone under

However I have since learned that while you can change the name server, in my case, hostonce supplied the name and hosting at the same time, so in effect, they still own the name, (I think). If I end up losing my domain name, as others have, I will be furious. One thing tho is that my domain name can still be got with a .co.uk extension so I may buy that version as domains now cost about £3.00

By going to hostonce/helpdesk link, there is a message saying:

Status Page

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '69.10.50.188' (10060)

/CurrentStatus.asp, line 5

Im hoping that they get back up soon and return the emails.
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jul 17, 2012 at 09:14. Reason: URL delinkified

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMHO if a site is worth being online, it's worth having a few bucks spent on it to avoid wasting time on free hosts.

Think of an hourly rate your time is worth.
    Total up hours spent dealing with issues of free hosts, searching for new free hosts, moving hosts..
    Multiply rate.
    Add value of search engine position and sales lost to downtime.
    Add value of buying a new domain if applicable.

For most people I imagine the final sum comes somewhere in between 'should have paid for a cheap host' and 'could have paid for years of good hosting'

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    IMHO if a site is worth being online, it's worth having a few bucks spent on it to avoid wasting time on free hosts.

Think of an hourly rate your time is worth.
    Total up hours spent dealing with issues of free hosts, searching for new free hosts, moving hosts..
    Multiply rate.
    Add value of search engine position and sales lost to downtime.
    Add value of buying a new domain if applicable.

For most people I imagine the final sum comes somewhere in between 'should have paid for a cheap host' and 'could have paid for years of good hosting'

Well I do see your point. But heres a couple of mine!! But just to clarify, the host we are talking about going down...is/was a paid host!

First, I totally agree. The ONLY reason I chose the free (temp) host was to restore my web presence ASAP without cost... while we wait and see whats going wrong with the original hosts.

My logic there is not paying for another paid host in a kneejerk reaction... only to find some apologetic emails from the former host saying everything's Ok now and we are very sorry! As said Ive been with them for 8 years, never had probs like this before so in my mind, 8 years is a good track record. Thats why I paid every year...

My first thought was - with the recent news that the FBI were temporarily taking some servers offline due to a virus scare, that it had included 'my' hosts...it happens! Though it doesn't seem to be the case now

Ive 2 busy websites, (fortunately the second is with another host to hostonce, and has never had the above mentioned issues, so Im glad I decided that in the beginning)

In regards to time spent finding a free host...in my case it took about 25 mins, changing dns settings, 2 mins, and re-uploading, to the temp host, was about 15 mins, so not long at all. About an hour in fact. I cant imagine why it should take any longer TBH..

Search engine listings however, were mostly lost due to me not finding out for well over a week my main site was down. Then me spending a week waiting patiently for replies from the host, so 2 and a bit weeks with no web presence while I innocently tried to track down any problems

As Google no doubt indexes sites weekly, and couldn't find mine, then yes it vanished from its results, ...bummer..but I have a tonne of reciprocal links and affiliates that still point to my site even though google needs to re-index it. So Im still in search results...sort of!

This last point about rankins etc... is not due to 'free-hosts'...its due to my site vanishing from the spider bots as a result of the host going down, etc. The cheesiest-poopiest-free-host can still host sites with top rankings, as the rankings have nothing to do with who hosts it, do they!!

Rankings are a result of many other things...

You say: "For most people I imagine the final sum comes somewhere in between 'should have paid for a cheap host' and 'could have paid for years of good hosting"

But you miss the point here, I DID PAY for years of good hosting to start with, 8 years I said I was perfectly happy, thats just on the one site, on the other site, 6 years PAID hosting so far...and still totally happy!! And once I find my next UK host who have all I want, I will be PAYING them too!

The solution I provided with mentioning the above free hosts, was to help others in the same boat as I found myself with hostonce...to get back online FAST while the main host sorts its issues.

And having said all that.... the free host mentioned is actually surprisingly good...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, joy.

Now all my emails to "HOSTONCE" billing/sales/domains are coming back as "undeliverable".

---
    "It is the calm and silent water that drowns a man"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by can-do View Post
    Oh, joy.

Now all my emails to "HOSTONCE" billing/sales/domains are coming back as "undeliverable".

---
    But did you find out if they own your domain name or is that with someone else??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by can-do View Post
    Oh, joy.

---
    Have PM'd you some news....check your 'notifications' at top of page

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems with HOSTONCE? Want To Transfer Domain, but can't get in touch? Me too.

I have reported my problem to ICANN.ORG (thanks bigbadjohn for the info)

The more people who log an issue - the more likely they will do something about it (possibly)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complaint logged with BBB.ORG - painless enough - only 1 prior complaint? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, new member who found this place while on Google looking for clues about Hostonce - I don't really have anything to add other than I'm like many others who seem to have lost what they had hosted and the domain name (and associated email addresses) they thought they had registered wasn't actually registered directly to them.

I'm been with Hostonce for 10+ years (I'm UK-based and they offered a great unlimited hosting package back then that nobody here could match) and seen a huge shift in service and a fair few blips between fully working and completely disappeared, it's a shame it's happened and I'm glad mine was just a hobby site rather than a business, I feel for those of you who have lost more than time with this fiasco.

Anyway I just wanted to be amongst others going through the same thing so here I am

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filed a complaint with ICANN and would like to know if there is anything I can do. I've also talked to the Registrar. DOMAIN.COM, LLC and they've can't help either. Any other thoughts? My domain is set to expire SEPT 6, 2012 and my site has been down since early JULY.

Thank you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Hope this helps you.

Thank you for contacting Dotster Abuse and Compliance.

As a follow up, here is a current contact email for Hostonce. They state they are working at this address to resolve the issues: billingmng@xibig.com.

Please contact us if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Dotster Abuse and Compliance
    --------------- Original Message ---------------
    From: icanncomplaints@dotster.com [icanncomplaints@dotster.com]
    Sent: 8/24/2012 9:27 AM
    To: complaint-followup@icann.org
    Cc: Powmiast@Embarqmail.com
    Subject: RE: [DN Dispute ~YME-847992]: Complaint Form - Noangle.net [ ref:_00D30S5t._50060Kofkd:ref ]

Thank you for contacting Dotster Abuse and Compliance.

1) No communications between the registrant and us on this domain.

2) As shown by the WHOIS query attached to the original complaint, the domain is registered in the name of Hostonce.com. This has not changes since at least April of 2011, which was as far back as we researched. There is no evidence that the current registrant has made changes to the ownership information of the domain to hijack the domain.

3. The complainant will have to work through the domain's owner to resolve any issue.

Please contact us if you have further questions or concerns.

Regards,

Dotster Abuse and Compliance

--------------- Original Message ---------------
    From: Compliance DN Dispute [complaint-followup@icann.org]
    Sent: 8/23/2012 4:51 PM
    To: icanncomplaints@dotster.com
    Subject: [DN Dispute ~YME-847992]: Complaint Form - Noangle.net

ICANN FIRST NOTICE REGARDING ALLEGED DOMAIN HIJACKING

Dear Registrar:

ICANN received the transfer complaint below. To demonstrate compliance, please respond directly to the complainant and provide ICANN the following records and information in accordance with Sections 3.4.2 and 3.4.3 of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA), by 30 August 2012:

1. Copies of any written communications between your registrar and the Registered Name Holder (or its authorized agent);

2. Your registrarís findings of this complaint; and

3. The steps your registrar took to address this complaint or otherwise.

PLEASE SEND ATTACHMENTS ONLY IN .DOC(X), .PDF OR .TXT.

For your reference, please find below the links to the RAA and relevant Advisory and FAQ:

2001 RAA: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/r...nt-17may01.htm
    2009 RAA: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/r...nt-21may09.htm
    Advisory: http://www.icann.org/en/announcement...nt-03apr08.htm
    FAQ: http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/re...aq-03nov04.htm

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

ICANN Contractual Compliance
    12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
    Playa Vista, CA 90094
    U.S.A.

powmiast@embarqmail.com Posted on: 16 Aug 2012 02:35 PM
    ================================================================

Complaint Form, Thu Aug 16 21:34:18 2012

Form Data
    ================================================================

Name: Jose N Proenza Sanfiel
    Organization: The Reapers Edge a Pows Screamed ECHO in Cyberspace.
    Email: Powmiast@Embarqmail.com
    Phone: 321-805-2982
    Domain: Noangle.net
    Registrar IANAID: 886
    Registrar Contact: denyeart@dotster.com
    Real Registrar Name:

DOMAIN.COM, LLC

Summary:

Im the owner of Noangle.net or at least had been for over 20 Years. Hostonce.com a reseler for Domain.com hijacked my domain ownership and now they have gone off line for some unknown reason. There is no way to contact them with a response. I and many others as i have become aware of trough http://www.sitepoint.com/.
    I need your assistance in recuperating my Domain name and that it should be transfered to me ( you can check your records back when it was created.) So that I may continue my assistance regarding American POWs & MIAs along with other veteran Issues. Im non Profit I can build the site back up but the Domain Name is where you can help.
    Please advice of what I can do to assit you in such recovery.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Cpl Pro.
    AKA
    Jose N Proenza Sanfiel

Issue:

compliance-dn-dispute

Current Whois:

REGISTRAR WHOIS:

The information in this whois database is provided for the sole
    purpose of assisting you in obtaining information about domain
    name registration records. This information is available "as is,"
    and we do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois
    query, you agree that you will use this data only for lawful
    purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data
    to: (1) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that
    stress or load this whois database system providing you this
    information; or (2) allow,enable, or otherwise support the
    transmission of mass, unsolicited, commercial advertising or
    solicitations via facsimile, electronic mail, or by telephone to
    entitites other than your own existing customers. The
    compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data
    is expressly prohibited without prior written consent from this
    company. We reserve the right to modify these terms at any
    time. By submitting an inquiry, you agree to these terms of usage
    and limitations of warranty. Please limit your queries to 10 per
    minute and one connection.

Registrant:
    hostonce.com A
    705A Wesley Pines Rd
    Lumberton, NC 28358
    USA

Registrar: Domain.com
    Domain Name: NOANGLE.NET
    Created on: 26-FEB-03
    Expires on: 26-FEB-13
    Last Updated on: 15-FEB-12

Administrative, Technical Contact:
    A, hostonce.com domains@hostonce.com
    705A Wesley Pines Rd
    Lumberton, NC 28358
    USA
    +001.910.4024678
    +001.910.4021999

Domain servers in listed order:
    DNS1.OURDNSINFO.COM
    DNS2.OURDNSINFO.COM

End of Whois Information

REGISTRY WHOIS:

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
    for detailed information.

Domain Name: NOANGLE.NET
    Registrar: DOMAIN.COM, LLC
    Whois Server: whois.domain.com
    Referral URL: http://www.domain.com
    Name Server: DNS1.OURDNSINFO.COM
    Name Server: DNS2.OURDNSINFO.COM
    Updated Date: 10-may-2012
    Creation Date: 26-feb-2003
    Expiration Date: 26-feb-2013

>>> >>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:33:58 UTC
    Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: YME-847992
    Department: DN Dispute
    Priority: Medium

ref:_00D30S5t._50060Kofkd:ref

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Welcome to SitePoint thetapeworm and thanks for sharing your experience. We look forward to you coming by more often

Regards,
    Steve
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    GS340 unless you can afford to sue the people that defuncted Hostonce then you are out of luck. By putting a claim forth it may cause them to 'try' to get your files and open transfership of the domain; however it is likely the owners have filed for bankruptcy which means you will have no to very little ability to recover any of it as the bank is managing the company and has likely seized all hardware - including those used for hosting yours and others sites -; they may have even scrubbed the drives so I'm afraid that you don't have much hope.

You may be able to get your domain back by following the advice found in post 22.

Although it is too late for many of you, PLEASE if you HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, register YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME THAT YOU CONTROL, then BACK UP YOUR CURRENT WEBSITE. Back up your site anytime you make changes to it. Don't experience this Pain and spend money on a stable host - there are some out in the hosting universe - if you don't know which ones then just ask.
    ictus==""

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rats.. I can't beleive that Hostonce is acting in this fashion... Over 10 Years of good service with latley some flaws, I thought that they got hit by the Virus of July .. but it seems it is deeper than that. Previously their contact number worked in the USA 910-402-4678 But do not try it now it is busy 100% and as mentioned contacting them is impossible with all the complaints Domain.com should do the right thing and remove all their information ( as it is deceptive and still bringing in Money = FRAUD )... I contacted The authorities in Australia along with BBB or equivalent and them Aussies did not even bother the courtesy of a reply... The WWW consortium is not doing anything about this so guess what..? This seem to be a good way to make some quick money...!! No one takes responsability and I'm sure they got their money otherwise they would at least say I'm sorry and possibly aid in recuperation of Websites lots of creativity sweat and tear's.. I REALLY CAN NOT UNDERSTAND IT.... AS I SAID.... They did respond well for over 10 Year's as they have not acted correctly Only condemnation and trouble is what they deserve... an explanation or excuse could give a person a sense of well at least I'm sorry for you or some such.. but no explanation WE ARE THINKING THE WORSE OF YOU HOSTONCE.COM . I pray that you work your problems out and be able to respond tho the Community that you was serving.! I will go to another Provider.. but before that would like to thank such community for all its information allowing for me to follow up opn this.
    <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Aug 17, 2012 at 04:09. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading this thread, I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me. I too had a domain registered with HostOnce, which I'm trying to get back, but I appear to have run into a problem.

The form that has been linked to in this thread requires me to provide legal proof of company registration - but my domain is one used in a personal capacity rather than linked to a company. Sure, I could go through the process of registering a company just to be able to provide a number, but that's an expensive proposition.

I've tried contacting Domain.com via the form that you can fill out on your website if you're not an account holder (without handing them some money I don't seem to have any other way of contacting them), but they've just ignored my messages so far.

My questions:

Does anyone have any contact details for Domain.com that will actually allow me to talk to someone?

Does anyone know if there's a separate process for trying to reobtain a domain name if one doesn't have an incorporated company through which to do it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Robert Lacey, and welcome to the forums.

I notice you're located in the UK. If your domain is a .***.uk domain, then you could try contacting Nominet for assistance. I was involved in a situation a few years back where a web designer died suddenly - and his clients discovered their domains were registered to him and not to them. I wasn't involved directly with Nominet, but I know they were helpful at the time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm afraid it's a .com address .