SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSN DOESNT allow javascript ; you have to upload the code to your file cabnit and linkto:

for example:
    http://www.msnusers.com/YourCommunit...omething.html.

A whole lot of MS Passport users who use communities know about this annoying problem.

If you have questions about MSN Web Communities , e-mail me@
    webmaster@tsd2community.every1.net

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally confused as to the reason behind this post? It is not a response to a question and you don't seem to be an employee of MSN.

Second since Javascript is embedded in HTML and processed at the client (i.e. Browser) how can they prevent you from using it?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am glad to see I am not the only one confused by this post and if the great Wayne is confused what chance have the rest of us got?

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much of a chance, I'd say...

I'm as much confused as you are
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a scan of one sort or another. Notice he used the username "Webmaster" - trying to trick people into reading his message, perhaps?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a scan of one sort or another. Notice he used the username "Webmaster" - trying to trick people into reading his message, perhaps?
    Then again what if he was just trying to be helpful to people? Sure, it may have been a little out of place but I doubt this is a scam.

And we read all messages, don't we? so it would be somewhat pointless for him to trick us into reading it...

I think y'all are looking a bit to deep into this. I may be wrong though........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I think you are reading into to it too far too. It is just weird when people start topics to inform people (like the "Make IE site up and bark" post).

BTW, how did HE get the username Webmaster!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, maybe I'm just a paranoid freak (actually I AM a paranoid freak ), but I think its obvious that this is one odd, suspicious-sounding message. I personally did not visit the link, to be safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your joking. Its a blank page. It is just a random url he typed to show his example. I cant belive how paranoid you guys are...

BUT, if someone was a geinous that would be a good way to get someone to download a virus or something. Make a link look fake, like this http://www.somedomain.com/file.zip as an example. Thatd be cool, hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thats my point. I just figure its not worth the risk - especially when I'm on someone else's computer!

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It very well could be just an innocent post...but what about this thought

As new websites are created as we 'speak' in matter of minutes and close just as fast, that one of their creator's current promotional 'tools' is to sign up for multiple forums as sounding boards and $ Click Throughs, in order to post a message and a link...

If that is the case then as long as they follow the rules, don't spam and act just like any other contributing web designer, then they are using using something that has grown considerably recently to their advantage - Forums, ChatRooms and NewsGroups. When you figure the number of readers every day and if you are only creating websites as if you were Day Trading in Websites, then they have tapped into an immense marketplace...which continues to grow!

Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebKat
    It very well could be just an innocent post...but what about this thought

As new websites are created as we 'speak' in matter of minutes and close just as fast, that one of their creator's current promotional 'tools' is to sign up for multiple forums as sounding boards and $ Click Throughs, in order to post a message and a link...

If that is the case then as long as they follow the rules, don't spam and act just like any other contributing web designer, then they are using using something that has grown considerably recently to their advantage - Forums, ChatRooms and NewsGroups. When you figure the number of readers every day and if you are only creating websites as if you were Day Trading in Websites, then they have tapped into an immense marketplace...which continues to grow!

You make a very good point, except in this particular case, 'Webmaster' was not spamming because he didn't give his site's URL. He only gave his e-mail address and invited you to e-mail him if you were having the same problem that he (most likely) had.

MSN DOESNT allow javascript ; you have to upload the code to your file cabnit and linkto:

for example:
    http://www.msnusers.com/YourCommunit...omething.html.

A whole lot of MS Passport users who use communities know about this annoying problem.

If you have questions about MSN Web Communities , e-mail me@
    webmaster@tsd2community.every1.net
    That msnusers.com URL he gives you isn't his site. I guess he could be spamming because you could look at his e-mail address and visit tsd2community.every1.net, but if that's spamming then saying "Hi" would be considered illegal.

Just a few thoughts..

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, No, No...I didn't mean to imply that he was spamming at all, or that it was a legit URL or even that it was a correct email address that was used!

The message appears to have no purpose - at least for us! Heck he/she may not even understand what they were talking about...or they did and sitting back reading all the replies to a silly post! One thing that I have found is that people like to begin controversial discussions (not just forums) just for the sake of it, even if they don't care about the subject matter themselves just to get people riled up and see there it leads!

But that is not the point...

It only made me think that forums are becoming such a booming place to promote websites when traditional ways have been exhausted! It's clear that forums are becoming a major source of website promotion or there wouldn't be 'clickable' signatures at the bottom of each message...

It is sad that we are becoming more suspicious as to the reasons behind cyber-behavior but you just don't know anymore who is actually behind user names and messages left anymore...

But so far it is still ok to say Hi
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have a new thery on theis post. Maybee he was just someone who wanted to post something he new we all wouln't undersatnd and then sit back and laugh as we all get worked up by it. j/k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, then: mission accomplished!