SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    SitePoint Zealot ozsubasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Links that won't go away

    So, having gone through all the links shown in GWT and removed those that I can that I don't believe are beneficial, I go back to GWT and they are still there. Weeks and weeks go by, and they won't go away. My understanding is that unless the sites where the links are coming from are updated, they won't get recrawled. I haven't had an unnatural links warning, so I can't notify Google that these links are gone via a reconsideration request.
    Google encourages webmasters to look at where there links are coming from, but there doesn't seem to be any machinery in place to let them know the work that has been done. Unless I am missing something?
    Ozsubasi Homes for Properties in Altinkum. Find out about the Weather in Altinkum

  2. #2
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    My understanding is that unless the sites where the links are coming from are updated, they won't get recrawled.
    I don't think that can be correct. How will Google know whether the sites have been updated unless it crawls them to find out?

  3. #3
    SitePoint Zealot ozsubasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding of that is that they can check the last modified date, is that not correct? and if there is no change, no need to crawl? Either way, the pages cannot have been crawled or the non-existent links would not still be showing?
    Ozsubasi Homes for Properties in Altinkum. Find out about the Weather in Altinkum

  4. #4
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    My understanding of that is that they can check the last modified date, is that not correct? and if there is no change, no need to crawl?

    I don't whether or not the Google bot checks the last-modified date. But if the links have been removed, surely the last-modified date will have changed, so it will do the re-crawl in any case.

    You say the links are still there after "weeks and weeks". How many weeks exactly? It can take quite a long time for Google's index to be updated.

    Also, are you sure the links have in fact been removed? Is it possible that they have been re-posted?

    Mike

  5. #5
    SitePoint Zealot ozsubasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not by any means something that is unique to my site. But unless someone has been actively trying to remove links, there is no real reason why they should even be aware of this problem. In my case the links were removed up to 6 weeks ago, but others have problems with links that have been gone for much longer (from discussions on other forums). Those of mine have not been re-posted.
    It is the very fact of the time it takes for Google's index to be updated that I am querying. Ignoring for the moment the possible reasons why a site hasn't been re-crawled,
    what I am really looking for is a way to prompt such action, or to notify Google that the links are gone.
    Ozsubasi Homes for Properties in Altinkum. Find out about the Weather in Altinkum

  6. #6
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you try re-submitting your URL to GWT so that Google can reconsider your site for indexing the pages? I think that would do. And yes, there could be another reason that the sites from which you are getting links are not updated so the obvious reason could be that they aren't crawled yet.

  7. #7
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozsubasi View Post
    It is the very fact of the time it takes for Google's index to be updated that I am querying. Ignoring for the moment the possible reasons why a site hasn't been re-crawled,
    what I am really looking for is a way to prompt such action, or to notify Google that the links are gone.
    I had a site hacked a while back and a large number of URLs added to it. I removed the added files and submitted a reconsideration request to Google. They responded quite quickly, agreeing that there was no longer a problem with the site - but it took them months to stop reporting the removed URLs as 404 errors. It drove me demented. They knew those pages should never have been there, they'd acknowledged that I'd removed them and that this was A Good Thing - then "complained" that they couldn't find them. My point being that in my experience, Webmster Tools is not always a true reflection of the situation.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Zealot ozsubasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seotrafficsearch View Post
    Why don't you try re-submitting your URL to GWT so that Google can reconsider your site for indexing the pages? I think that would do.
    My site has not been de-indexed, and has not had a manual penalty, therefore there is nothing for Google to reconsider.
    Ozsubasi Homes for Properties in Altinkum. Find out about the Weather in Altinkum

  9. #9
    SitePoint Zealot ozsubasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    My point being that in my experience, Webmster Tools is not always a true reflection of the situation.
    An interesting story, which does highlight the problem. But unless they have a different database they are using other than that shown in Webmaster Tools, SERPs could be influenced either way by outdated data?
    Ozsubasi Homes for Properties in Altinkum. Find out about the Weather in Altinkum


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •