User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my site MapYourVote

Hello everyone, I just launched a new site called MapYourVote. I was hoping everyone could check it out and let me know what you think. I'd love to hear both positive and negative feedback / suggestions. We are also working on marketing and presenting the site to try and get it out there so any suggestions along those lines would be excellent. Thanks everyone!

The url is www.mapyourvote.com

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I quickly got an idea of what the site is for, but my next question—which wasn't answered—is how it works, and what I should do next. If I can't easily understand how something works or what I should do next, I leave.

I recommend you add a How it Works link, for people like me who aren't prepared to dive in and mess around until the fog clears (which seems to be the expectation of most sites these days ... grrrrr.)
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    "click here to log in with facebook"

nope

bye

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    "click here to log in with facebook"

nope
    It's only an option for the convenience of those who want it.

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    It's only an option for the convenience of those who want it.
    well, that wasn't obvious, was it? so i bailed

besides, i saw a map of the united states... why would i hang around?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    that wasn't obvious
    True ... it does assume that this is a familiar option.

Off Topic:

i saw a map of the united states... why would i hang around?
    There are various ways to interpret that.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    True ... it does assume that this is a familiar option.
    you mean, using facebook is optional, or logging in is optional?

because if i want to use a site (rather than just lurk), i expect to have to log in

and my reaction to any site that wants you to log in with facebook is always the same -- nope, see ya, bye
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first reaction is that it seems to be too much going on and therefore too cluttered.

First of all I would remove your background image from your body. This seem to make your #page container less cluttered.
    - If you go with that then I would have your #footer stick to the bottom with the same background as your #bannerInclude

And then make your headings a lot bigger (your "Favorite ...") and give them more margin at the bottom.

However the most important thing you should do is remove the shadowBorderMid.png image from your banner. it does not look good;

I just did all that within my google inspector and the result looks a lot more fresh and modern.

I also do not think that you should have this : http://www.mapyourvote.com/Images/Logos/biglogo.png - BUT in this case it might be a personal preference, though it was the first thing I noticed and I do not think it is that important, as you already have it (more or less) at the top.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    you mean, using facebook is optional, or logging in is optional?
    I mean that logging in to the OP's site via Facebook is optional.

my reaction to any site that wants you to log in with facebook is always the same -- nope, see ya, bye
    It doesn't say it wants you to, just that you can. However, the Facebook option kind of dwarfs the regular option, I agree.

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is a "Social Voteworking site" I'm just curious, how is it as useful as Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus when it comes to social marketing? Please enlighten me, as a user, why should I use this site? thanks
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The login with username and password or login with facebook button confusion, I think would be helped if you moved the facebook to below your sites own login so it is clearer that your own login is there and facebook is a secondary option, I think with it at the top, it draws your attention to being the only login button and you miss your own smaller login button.

I like what you've done, and think you have a clean layout and I was drawn to read the questions. I think your site message from your tag line is clear about getting opinions on any topic..... however the US state map and 2012 election as the only banner image does mislead you in to thinking the site is just to do with the US Election and a forum for people to only discuss that, so you might never get to read your site purpose in the banner and realise it is more than just that. I assume the US state map and election stuff is a promo of a hot topic that people might be discussing, but you need maybe a few images rotating in the banner to cover a few topics so people realise it is promo image on one topic rather than the entire sites purpose?
    If at first you don't succeed... buy it from someone else
    Life's to short to be wasting time trying again and again!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it cool but can't don't understand what the site is really for please what tool did you use to come about it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool concept. I didn't have any trouble understanding what the purpose of the site was. Overall the look of the site is modern and appealing, although it feels a bit cluttered.

The "log in and map your vote" button didn't work for me.

It was annoying that it prompted me to sign up before I could view the results map, but offering a guest log in was appreciated. One of the states on the map was yellow, a color that was not included int he key and was confusing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOutGateway View Post
    So this is a "Social Voteworking site" I'm just curious, how is it as useful as Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus when it comes to social marketing? Please enlighten me, as a user, why should I use this site? thanks
    MapYourVote.com allows you to ask questions (polls) about anything and let the world answer. The results are then presented using a fun, fully interactive thematic map, allowing you to quickly obtain a better understanding of opinions across the globe.
    Typically the results of online polls are as simple as a number and a percent sign. There is no way to delve deeper, learn where the numbers come from, how they changed over time, or whether trends exist. MapYourVote allows for all of that, making the online poll far more useful. This is not to say MapYourVote generates completely unique data. This type of data does exists, however it is privately owned by polling companies. The public never sees it, and typically organizations must pay large amounts of money for it. MapYourVote is a bit different because it is open to the public and unlike anything else, it’s completely free. Organizations and individuals alike can post questions, let the world answer, and search for trends. If you’re a business perhaps you use this to make a business decision. If you’re a student or researcher perhaps you use it in a paper. And if you’re an individual, you may simply just find it interesting and move on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technowonder View Post
    The login with username and password or login with facebook button confusion, I think would be helped if you moved the facebook to below your sites own login so it is clearer that your own login is there and facebook is a secondary option, I think with it at the top, it draws your attention to being the only login button and you miss your own smaller login button.
    Excellent idea thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melissas View Post
    Cool concept. I didn't have any trouble understanding what the purpose of the site was. Overall the look of the site is modern and appealing, although it feels a bit cluttered.

The "log in and map your vote" button didn't work for me.
    I'll certainly look into this! What browser were you using and were you trying to login with Facebook or a MapYourVote username.

Thanks for everyone's reviews! Very helpful feedback!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a great site. I loved the concept of voteworking.. . Keep rockingg!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay so I clicked on the poll at the top about soda and I went to vote. I picked my vote - 'Other' and then the two options where 'Login and map your vote' or 'Login only'. That was a big turn off. For starters I don't want to HAVE to login for a simple vote, I'd like to get a taste of it then maybe make an account later (if you'll excuse the self promotion, that's how my site amirite works and it's much better that way).
    I agree with what was said above about the concept being obvious, but what to do is not so obvious. I get that I'm supposed to vote, but it took some clicking around to actually get to the voting part. The poll options should be on the home page.
    Aside from that, I think the design is quite nice. It's good to see lots of different choices on the home page, but as I said it would be better to be able to interact with them on the home page too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antriver View Post
    Okay so I clicked on the poll at the top about soda and I went to vote. I picked my vote - 'Other' and then the two options where 'Login and map your vote' or 'Login only'. That was a big turn off.
    Awesome feedback! Thanks everyone. We are working to add a "Guest Vote" option that will launch the guest login right on the poll page. Unfortunately at minimum a user must log in as a guest because a location is needed to "map your vote". But Guest voting will be made more seamless, and easier than it currently is. Hopefully this will solve the annoyances presented above.

Quote Originally Posted by antriver View Post
    The poll options should be on the home page.
    Also an excellent idea, and we will consider this for future development.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In simple words i have to say that Best web designing with Best content. It is voteworking site then be helpful for putting your opinion of particular product. But, still didn't get ant idea that how it used to social networking site?

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oshields View Post
    MapYourVote.com allows you to ask questions (polls) about anything and let the world answer. The results are then presented using a fun, fully interactive thematic map, allowing you to quickly obtain a better understanding of opinions across the globe.
    Typically the results of online polls are as simple as a number and a percent sign. There is no way to delve deeper, learn where the numbers come from, how they changed over time, or whether trends exist. MapYourVote allows for all of that, making the online poll far more useful. This is not to say MapYourVote generates completely unique data. This type of data does exists, however it is privately owned by polling companies. The public never sees it, and typically organizations must pay large amounts of money for it. MapYourVote is a bit different because it is open to the public and unlike anything else, it’s completely free. Organizations and individuals alike can post questions, let the world answer, and search for trends. If you’re a business perhaps you use this to make a business decision. If you’re a student or researcher perhaps you use it in a paper. And if you’re an individual, you may simply just find it interesting and move on.
    Oh I see, thanks for enlightening me, now I fully understood it.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOutGateway View Post
    Oh I see, thanks for enlightening me, now I fully understood it.
    Thanks to you for your suggestion. Can you tell me that what kind of enlightening that you get through this review? I can not understand yet, its all process. Sorry for my apologize. But, still I am confusing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone. I wanted to keep you updated with what we've done in response to your feedback on my site www.mapyourvote.com

Quote Originally Posted by antriver
    I picked my vote - 'Other' and then the two options where 'Login and map your vote' or 'Login only'. That was a big turn off. For starters I don't want to HAVE to login for a simple vote, I'd like to get a taste of it then maybe make an account later
    We've add a new feature called "Guest Vote". This button appears if you are not currently logged on. When you select an answer and click "Guest Vote", a dialog will popup asking you for your zip code/location (nothing else). This information is required to map a vote. You can then click "Submit Guest Vote" and you are done. This process actually creates you a "Guest Account" (and guest accounts existed previously) but it does so in a very unobtrusive way. Once you do this you have the option of upgrading your account to a full account but you don't have to. Guest accounts are kept as long as possible using cookies, but if you logout or switch computers, there will be no way to access your guest account. Please try it out what do you guys think of this new process? Is it better? Are you more likely to vote? Would it be better if we called "Guest Vote" "Quick Vote" or "Instant Vote" instead? Thanks for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by technowonder
    I picked my vote - 'Other' and then the two options where 'Login and map your vote' or 'Login only'. That was a big turn off. For starters I don't want to HAVE to login for a simple vote, I'd like to get a taste of it then maybe make an account later
    Excellent advise and we took it immediately. The "Click here to login with Facebook" looked like the header of that whole login widgte when really it was just one of two options. We moved that button below my sites login and added the word "OR" to make it clear it was just an option. Let me know what you think!

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I tried voting, but after submitting, the page was struggling to reload, and kept flashing. This was in Chrome for Mac.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried voting, but after submitting, the page was struggling to reload, and kept flashing. This was in Chrome for Mac.
    I'm sorry to hear you ran into problems. The site has been thoroughly tested on Chome (Safarie, IE9, IE8, Firefox, Safari) but I have not yet tested it on "Chrome for Mac". I will look in to this immediately.