SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    what is the different with payment gateway and merchant account ?

    What is the different with payment gateway and merchant account ?

    What if a merchant account without payment gateway ?

    They both has same fee: setup, monthly, and per- transaction.

  2. #2
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,117
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subasoji View Post
    What is the different with payment gateway and merchant account ?
    A merchant account is something you set up with a bank. It's sort of like a regular bank account, but the banks tend to set a lot more rules you have to comply with before they give you a merchant account.

    A payment gateway is a service that is set up to process the credit card transaction. It stands in between your shopping cart and your merchant account.

    So, someone chooses to buy something through your cart. Once they enter their credit card details, the payment gateway receives the information, checks with the customer's bank that it's all OK, approves the transaction, and directs the payment to your merchant account, where you can collect it.

    Without a gateway, there's no way for the money to get from the customer to your merchant account. The merchant account doesn't do any work. It just sits there, waiting for money to arrive.

    The gateway and merchant account each have their own fees, because they are separate services.

    If all this is too much hassle, there are alternatives like PayPal—which provides a cart, gateway, and a kind of merchant account all in one. After the purchase, you can move the money that PayPal has collected into your regular bank account.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

    Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

    Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subasoji View Post
    They both has same fee: setup, monthly, and per- transaction.
    Not really... The fee structure is usually fairly different. For my gateway (Authorize.net), they charge a flat monthly rate and then a very small per transaction fee. Where I pay the vast majority of my processing expense is to my merchant account provider, who charges around 2.0% of all the transactions I process.

    I've been in the eCommerce field for years, and still occasionally get the two mixed up. So don't feel too bad. :-)

  4. #4
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2floor of the answer is perfect, the gateway and merchant account each have their own fees, because they are separate services.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    A merchant account is a back-end account that facilitates transferring from a credit card to your bank account. It has no interaction with a customer. A payment gateway is what would integrate with your website or what would allow your customer to enter their information.
    Originally posted in this thread.

    Hope that helps
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jul 17, 2012 at 10:52. Reason: Quoted copied content to give credit to original poster.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    401
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what's misleading is that Authorize.net (Most references are to authnet) also provides merchant accounts, which they tend to advertise the processing rate in addition to their gateway fee. This leads to the notion that a payment gateway is one in the same with a merchant account.
    Merchant Equipment Store - Merchant Services, POS, Equipment, and supplies.
    Merchant Account Blog | Ecommerce Blog

  7. #7
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the best articles I have seen that explains the differences between gateways, processing companies and several other entities involved in payment processing is at http://storecoach.com/blog/whats-dif...essor-gateway/

    As a matter of full disclosure, I do occasionally write unpaid articles for the above-mentioned blog, which is why I know that article exists.

  8. #8
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    A merchant account is something you set up with a bank. It's sort of like a regular bank account, but the banks tend to set a lot more rules you have to comply with before they give you a merchant account.

    A payment gateway is a service that is set up to process the credit card transaction. It stands in between your shopping cart and your merchant account.

    So, someone chooses to buy something through your cart. Once they enter their credit card details, the payment gateway receives the information, checks with the customer's bank that it's all OK, approves the transaction, and directs the payment to your merchant account, where you can collect it.

    Without a gateway, there's no way for the money to get from the customer to your merchant account. The merchant account doesn't do any work. It just sits there, waiting for money to arrive.

    The gateway and merchant account each have their own fees, because they are separate services.

    If all this is too much hassle, there are alternatives like PayPal—which provides a cart, gateway, and a kind of merchant account all in one. After the purchase, you can move the money that PayPal has collected into your regular bank account.
    Thanx for the information dude! You explained in such a nice manner that i as really easy to understand the concept,


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •