SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VB4 Table of Contents links broken

If anyone still maintains this... the TOC links are broken. Any chance that can be fixed?

Example thread: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...ML-vs-HTML-FAQ
    Last edited by ralph.m; Jun 26, 2012 at 02:42. Reason: added example page (where post first appeared)

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mott View Post
    If anyone still maintains this... the TOC links are broken. Any chance that can be fixed?
    Unfortunately it looks like one of the, ahem, features of vB4 is that the "jumpto" function from vB3 no longer works, which means that the only way to get the TOC links working (as far as I can see) is to hard-code the entire URL into the link, which isn't a very sensible or robust solution. The matter was raised with the vB team a couple of years ago, and their response was, in a nutshell, "Yeah, and what do you want us to do about it?", so unless @HAWK knows anyone who can hack the vB installation to fix this system bug, I'm not sure it's going to be possible to fix the TOC links.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case, maybe it's better to remove the links altogether? Since they don't work anyway, and won't work for the foreseeable future.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    ...so unless @HAWK knows anyone who can hack the vB installation to fix this system bug, I'm not sure it's going to be possible to fix the TOC links.
    It's possible that @TimIgoe ; may have an idea. I certainly don't.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like one of the, ahem, features of vB4 is that the "jumpto" function from vB3 no longer works, which means that the only way to get the TOC links working (as far as I can see) is to hard-code the entire URL into the link, which isn't a very sensible or robust solution. The matter was raised with the vB team a couple of years ago, and their response was, in a nutshell, "Yeah, and what do you want us to do about it?", so unless @HAWK knows anyone who can hack the vB installation to fix this system bug, I'm not sure it's going to be possible to fix the TOC links.
    They don't work because of the <base href="http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/"> element in the page. There seem to be four possible solutions (1) remove that element; (2) hard-code the links to include the missing part of the URL, which in this case is "showthread.php?393445-XHTML-vs-HTML-FAQ&p=5141516"; (3) modify the PHP code to automatically do that; or (4) add a JavaScript script to fix it. What I don't know is what relies on the <base> element to function, how complicated it would be to modify vB, and how many users might be browsing without JS enabled.

Thoughts?

P.S. Perhaps this should be split and moved to "Forum Support & Feedback"?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravvitz View Post
    P.S. Perhaps this should be split and moved to "Forum Support & Feedback"?
    Good idea, Kravvitz ... and done.

Some interesting solutions you proposed there, too. Option 2 might be viable in the short term, at least. I'll give it a go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mott View Post
    In that case, maybe it's better to remove the links altogether? Since they don't work anyway, and won't work for the foreseeable future.
    +1