SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Video not playing on iPhone and certain browsers

Hello: This site has been up for a while, and the video on the home screen works on most browsers, but someone just contacted me that it won't work on their iPhone... is there a plug in needed or different coding to help it be more universal?

** edited to add website: www.steveheckaman.com **

Thanks

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    To reliably play video on all browsers, you need to serve up different versions of the video. A Flash version will work in most browsers, but not on the iPhone. At the moment you have a .wmv file, which doesn't run on a lot of browsers. You could either use a standard Flash setup with fallbacks for iPhone, or perhaps go the HTML5 <video> route, as described here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/what-do-you...t-html5-video/

http://designfestival.com/implementi...back-in-html5/

Or, if that's all too overwhelming, I'd recommend you upload the video to YouTube and than embed the video on your page. YouTube automatically presents the video in a range of formats that make it viewable on all devices. A lot simpler.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option would be is to select a video sharing platform that encodes the video content to play in all formats (high quality) after you upload it and then easily allows for sharing.