SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many of you have heard of the Luna Network by About.com (7th largest web property)? If so what have you heard good or bad. Do they do well, pay on time etc. Anyone already with them?
    Adam Turner adamturner@onlinenetworks.uk.com
    Free Web Tools at HomepageTools.com
    $15 Domains at HomepageNames.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i signed up with Luna/About.com and they require a non-disclosure agreement so alot of the details, pay rates and specifics can not be disclosed

but from the people who I know who are also with Luna they have paid ontime and are reliable ... but there has been discussion at other forums about recent changes in the Luna pay rates (lowered) and some partner sites have had late payments... i think the gethigh forums had a thread about this

although i have signed, i am not active yet since i have to get of my current ad network but they aren't replying to me (i see sitepoint took my suggestion and borrowed my smilies from my vb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well most ad networks don't want you to talk about ad rates, but I'm suspicious about the requirment to link back with the big about.com graphic (at least it was a requirment when I looked 6 mo ago.) Also, the long forced agreements (2 years?) is very bad...

Owen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do top doubleclick's sonar, l90, flycast, everyone.net, and most other well known networks currently. However they are not completly selling all inventory, and are giving a lot of non-paying "barter" impressions on a 1:1 ratio for what they can't sell. Additionally, they originally offered a static CPM at a relatively high figure, but they took back all contracts, and now it's just what they sell. I see a flycast trend forming, but at least they're still ahead for now. The big problem is that they took on a ridiculous amount of inventory, which was unfillable by almost anybody. If your in house sales are ok though, I't suggest using them for any unsold inventory, unless you can find private representation.
    Jason M. DesRoches
    Big Resources Network
    jason@123webmaster.com
    http://www.bigresources.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the posts! I'm not asking anyone to break their NDA, I just want to know the basics like...Do they pay on time? Are their stats for impressions acurate? Do they sell most the inventory? Would you tell your mother to sign up with them? The jury is still out so post your opinion and why.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never actually been with them myself... however, seeing as we are talking about the 7th largest internet property and one of the most successful content companies online, I can't see a problem with their payment... this isn't joe's flea market we're talking about.

From what I've heard they are good, but all ad companies are in a slump atm... so...

Adam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post Adam! Great name by the way. I realise that About.com isn't a small company, but I want to be confident dealing with them, the best way to do that is customer/user recommendations. Keep em' coming.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adam,

They might be the 7th largest internet properity right now, however the fact is that they still aren't profitable, and won;t be for at least another year. They are also fairly mismanaged. In fact the rep that I was originally working with was fired 2 months after I signed with them, and he was pretty high up the chain. Also, it took about.com over 3 months to get me going once I signed, they then took back the original contracts, and replaced it with lower paying ones that didn't offer guaranteed rates.

As far as punctuality goes, at this point they do not offer live stats. You do not even get statistics such as your CPM, and impressions served until one month later. I just received my July stats last week. It will be another few weeks until I receive payment.

Additionally, no matter what their size, they have taken on more inventory than they can handle. They currently sell about 50% of the space, and leave the rest for "barter impresisons" between affiliates. Even after all this though, you'll still find yourself making 3 times what you would with flycast (although I can't give exact figures). I'm currently using them for some surplus inventory, I'll be doing so for another week or two, until my private representation starts up. I would give it the go ahead unless you have something that hasn't already been listed on this thread.
    Jason M. DesRoches
    Big Resources Network
    jason@123webmaster.com
    http://www.bigresources.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the honesty Jason, that's what we need in this industry! just being told how it is, instead of being dissapointed with all ad networks.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea...I honestly don't know much about how much inventory they sell and stats, however, the reason I went on about how they are a big company, is that NASDAQ won't like it if they fraud clients...

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talking about luna network i signed their contract a few weeks back and today they sent me a new contract with CPM rates on average 22% higher than what i signed before ? has anyone else had this happen ?

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They WANT to pay you more?

wow, I'm impressed

Adam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow prequel they offered 22% more? When did you sign the first contract? Before August?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was contacted by them to join Luna in June and i signed the NDA back in June or July 2000 and they sent me in pdf format the contract with the advertising fees, marketing fee, sprink box fee, direct marketing fee and revenue share rates at the end of July and I signed it and sent it back on August 15, 2000.

The new contracts they sent to me were dated August 15, 2000 but every single fee listed was higher on average around 22% higher than that what i signed already

i hope it ain't a typo cause i sure need the money to cover my rising dedicated hosting costs ...

oh and to clear up the confusion... i have not ever been activated on the Luna network yet... it's just contract after a new contract before i even put up the ads... that's what's confusing me ?

[Edited by prequel on 09-06-2000 at 06:38 AM]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's intresting they changed the fees in the contract like that. So you're still waiting for them to start displaying the ads then. Have you been waiting longer than the 45 days for them to start showing ads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah... that's my fault really... they wanted me to join and start in June but i have a contract with another ad agency and needed to get myself out of that contract... unfortunately it has taken until now to get out of the old contract with other ad agency 2 months of lost revenues

[Edited by prequel on 09-06-2000 at 07:40 AM]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, who were you're ads served with before? Burst...Flycast? These words are curse words on these forums...not many webmasters like ad networks as they're going worse.

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, Ad networks are definitely falling... but then, it's not much easier selling your own ads! Life is tough in the advertising market atm.

Adam

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just like to say a thank you to all those who have contributed to this thread, you're honest posts have helped considerably.