SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Homesite

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently looking at purchasing homesite 4.5 for my site. I currently use notepad so I am familiar with html. My site is becoming rather large and it is taking up alot of my time; more than I have to make minor changes to 100+ pages. I realize css would solve some of these issues but I have not had much success in getting the layout to work the way I would like it to. I am in the process of putting up my mail order catalog and I require a program that can assist me in making this task easier. I have been looking at Homesite 4.5 and would like some feedback on this program.

1) Am I looking at the right program for what I would like to accomplish?

2) How much of what homesite produces in the way of html as bloated code?

3) Ease of use? I'm not a newbie so I am not looking for a basic program but rather something that will free up some of my time on hand coding every page that I want to put on the site.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Scott
    http://www.camohunter.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Am I looking at the right program for what I would like to accomplish?
    Homesite comes with many site management tools including FTP, CSS and syntax checking.

2) How much of what homesite produces in the way of html as bloated code?
    Homesite is not a WYSIWYG editor. It is an HTML editor. The only bloated code is what you put into it. Homesite comes with a feature called CodeSweeper. This allows you to reformat your code the way you want it after creating it. This allows you to remove line feeds at will.

3) Ease of use? I'm not a newbie so I am not looking for a basic program but rather something that will free up some of my time on hand coding every page that I want to put on the site.
    I suggest that you download the trial to see if it truly will help you.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Wayne said, Homesite is a text editor. It produces only what you want it to.

If you are indeed looking for a WYSIWYG editory to help you with site maintenance, then I would suggest something like Dreamweaver, who's template and library features make it easy to maintain a consistent look throughout the site with minimal maintenance needed to make changes throughout an entire site.

Incidentally, when you purchase Dreamweaver, Homesite comes bundled with it for free.

Macromedia offers a free 30 day working demo of Dreamweaver for download as well.

Adam

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by ScottC
    I am in the process of putting up my mail order catalog and I require a program that can assist me in making this task easier
    I think it would be easier to use some kind of database and scripting language if you are putting up a catalog. See Kevin Yank's article on http://www.webmasterbase.com if your host supports PHP. If your host supports ASP, then try downloading the demo of Macromedia Dreamweaver UltraDev from www.macromedia.com. It is a special version of Dreamweaver that creates dynamic pages in ASP from a database.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I use Homesite 4.5 for 100% of my Web coding. This includes PHP, ASP, HTML, etc. It comes with syntax hilighting for every language you can think of and it can be extended a TON.

I got it for "free" with Dreamweaver3.0/Fireworks3.0 and I didn't expect to ever use it but I really love it now.

I suggest you buy HomeSite with Dreamweaver 3.0 actually, if you don't already own DW.

Hope this helps

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use HS4.5 for 100% of my work as well. It is brilliant an dI have used it since version 3. It's extended search and replace features are a real timesaver for some tasks.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use HomeSite (yet), but I would recommend it from what I've heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually HomeSite 4.5 has a WYSIWYG in it. And from the dialog box that pops up from when you switch to it, warning you of it putting in unwanted code, then I assume it does ad bloat. But thats only a small part of HomeSite and the biggest part is the text editor.

I actually only will use it for its color coding abilities. But I have found that if I have a large file it is easier just to load up notetab (www.notetab.com) to make a quick change. Otherwise though HomeSite is good for the inital coding cause it will color code your text.

Have a good day.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input with regards to my post about homesite 4.5

After having looked at Dreamweaver I am going to download the 30 day trial of this program and see if this is something that I can work with. As I understand it Homesite 4.5 comes with it when you purchase it.

My question is will this try before you buy version take over file associations etc on my computer like most other programs do when you download them?

Thanks

Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want another Notepad-on-steriods type of program, give 1stPage 2000 a try: http://www.evrsoft.com/download - decent program...although not as good as HomeSite. But hey: it's free!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the trial version of Homesite 4.5 and Textpad. Which should I buy the license for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ScottC, you say you are putting up a mail order cataloge, have you considered using a server-side database or at the very least--a shopping cart?

DreamWeaver would be your best bet for an HTML tag Editor as it does include Homesite 4.5. DW also had the advantage of keeping track of which files you make changes to and can upload those. I would suggest you create a duplicate/seperate folder for your site to use as a Testbed with DW. Never used it myself but based on what I've heard and been told, it does the job of Web site management quite adequately.

You also might want to look at SSI to "modularize" your pages. This would work nicely with a database/shopping cart situation. If you are having trouble with CSS, start a seperate post and give us the specifics. I'll bet your trouble is with Netscape!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rob

Right now I do have a very simple shopping cart on the site, where I have sections set up with a url to each product BUT I am not happy with how the shopping page looks. What I have considered doing is listing the categories side-by side with drop down menus whereby someone can click on the product they are interested in viewing. This would help shorten the page alot. This is of concern to me since I have well over 300 items to list and I cannot continue to list them the way I have it set up.

I am knowledgeable in html but anything beyond the basics I am somewhat at a loss. What I can do I have thought myself from online tutorials and books so a database type of site is not something I think I can do right now. This is why I was inquiring about Homesite and Dreamweaver cause I was looking for a way to help simplify or at the very least make it easier for me to get this catalog up and maintain.

You can view the shopping page at the following url:
    http://www.camohunter.com/camostore.html and you will see what I mean by the page being too long and not looking like a shopping environment. I am also looking into purchasing shopping cart software because what I am using now will not be adequate once I have the entire catalog up and running.

I have been toying with the idea of e-commerce for some time now and actually have received alot of favorable responses and sales from it so I have decided to go full fledge with this realizing that the site will need an overhaul and I am more than willing to learn and get it done.

As far as CSS goes I cannot get it to look decent in Netscape so I have all but given up on it. I guess I have alot more to learn about CSS before I attempt it again.

Thanks again for your helpful post.

Scott

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames86
    I have the trial version of Homesite 4.5 and Textpad. Which should I buy the license for?
    Personally I bought both. Homesite is $99 and Textpad is $27.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc
    Depending upon your finances, go with HomeSite as it does pretty-much everything you could want. If that is not in your budget, a better program than TextPad (for the same price) is UltraEdit. Download a 30 day trial and take it for a spin. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprized at what it can do.

Scott
    I'm not sure what Hypermart has to offer you, in the way of handling a shopping cart, e-commerce, real-time CC processing, etc., and wonder if you've had a look at mySQL for a database program? As far as a Server-side database program, it is one of the easier ones to learn--and Free too. Will help you to keep track of your customers and to keep the relationship alive, for more sales down the road.

If you only want to provide a way to accept payments for purchases, you should also look at doing your transactions on a Secure Server. Some Hosters allow you to use their license but if you are going to be doing, say $1,000.00 /mth in business, purchasing your own license would be best. Not sure who you've looked at for real-time CC processing and I always recommend Authorize.Net to people. They let you use their Secure Servers and can vaildate, make sure the card is not hot, and other nice goodies.

Mind you, if you don't live in the U.S. and/or have a U.S. bank account, it can be a real PITA getting a Merchant Account, which is something you would need for Authorize.Net. They are in the top 3 though, when it comes to companies that provide CC processing. I'm sure others with knowledge in this area, would agree that you can't go wrong with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Website Rob
    Marc
    Depending upon your finances, go with HomeSite as it does pretty-much everything you could want. If that is not in your budget, a better program than TextPad (for the same price) is UltraEdit. Download a 30 day trial and take it for a spin. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprized at what it can do.
    Thanks. I think I like HomeSite more, anyway. However, I have some other, more important expenses that need to be taken care of first.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stick with html all builders have there limits, and notepad/telnet have none.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont really understand the point of that last post...

Also, isn't PHPcore.com not only a misleading domain name but also a illegal subject matter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome Marc. It's so easy isn't it, to like the bigger, better, more expensive programs.
    Unfortunately, Monopoly money is not yet acceptable as common currency.

I'd have to agree with Nate, on the that post also. Everybody knows that with Notepad being able to only open one file at a time (and the 32K limit) it is very limited. Even EditPad (also Free) is a much better program, for people that like coding with a Text Editor. And we won't go into the security problems with Telnet.