User Tag List

Thread: Download script

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download script

I'm trying to find a script that goes through a list of servers and chooses one to download from. I'm looking for something close to download.com's download script. I have a file that requires several servers because of bandwidth issues and I want it where when you go to the downlaod page it will choose from the list of servers the best one. I have already looked through hotscripts.com but didn't find anything. PHP would be prefered but might be able to use perl.

I'm not sure excactly what metric I want to use but just something that would check to see if the connection is made and if it is to start the download from that source and if not go to the next server.

I will be hosting a file that gets a lot of hits a day and becuase of bandwidth issues, some of the servers might run out of bandwidth for that time, so that is why I have several servers to host this file.

EX....
    Lets say 5 people want to download the file (and I have 4 servers with the file):

First person goes to download the file and the server checks to make sure that server1 is good and if so it connects him to server1. (If not, goes to server2.)

Second person goes to download the the file and the script starts with server2. If good connects to it.

Third person goes to download the file and it tries to connect to server3 first.

When it gets to the end of the servers it goes back to server1.

Does everyone understand what I'm trying to say or do I need to explain it better?

Are there any script that comes close to doing this? I have looked everywhere but noone seems able to help me.

Is there anyone here at the forums that knows php that might be able to help me?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of help do we talk here?
    - Someone to write script?
    - Someone to guide you so you can write the script?

1. Basic idea would be to show a link randomly from possible values in the databases

2. Or use a database and statistics to show a link.

MHO
    Last edited by sylow; Dec 3, 2002 at 02:19.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for someone to that could write this script for me. It doesn't seem like that hard of a script to write, but what would I know...