SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru

Okay and back to the Analog VS digital. This is a VERY interesting topic. I couldn't belive that article and that Analog robots could get around. .... I think it will be a mix of both analog and digital but I dont see how something can be compltely non digital. Plus that is like taking a step back in technology.
    The natural world is non digital, so why can't you believe it? The thing about digital is that when it encounters something that is hasn't planned for or isn't programmed for it doesn't know what to do, but something analog is much more able to adapt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read that article. Maybe they could get that computer to design analog robots.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finding the solution for a problem, like faster than light travelling will demand that you use all of your imagination, creativity and knowledge.
    I don't mean to sound like a science nerd or anything when I say this but it's impossible for humans to travel at light speed.

Once we were at light speed we would have infinite mass which is hard to think about but it would essentially kill us.

As for the robots, I doubt that any computer will ever think on its own. Studies show that rats, chimpanzees, monkeys, gorillas, and humans are the only species which can think (I might be forgetting a few). All other animals rely on instincts, like "Bird feeder is here, which means I must fly to it unless a Blue Jay is there." It's almost as if birds were coded like this...

if(birdfeeder=right_in_front_of_me()) fly_to_it();

Of course no one can be sure how birds and almost all other species think but this is what most scientist's theories are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AI can be quite deadly if it can think like humans. It might go insane and take over the net(i know some of you have dreamed about) they can then bring down all the comps and that will make us unable to control it.

AI would be a good benefit to the world if it is controlled it would make things easier because it can think for itself.
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would want more than a handful of robots with AI! We've all seen Terminator - think people!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faster than light travel IS possible, but only if we do NOT excellerate to light speed. The principle is very simple: we just stretch the Space time behind us so that we don't move while the distance between us and our target gets smaller.

Yeah, I admit I'm a Trekkie But this is possible, it has been proven to work (Scientific way of course)
    Then again: nothing in science is 100% certain... But we'll see...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    Originally posted by jumpthru

Okay and back to the Analog VS digital. This is a VERY interesting topic. I couldn't belive that article and that Analog robots could get around. .... I think it will be a mix of both analog and digital but I dont see how something can be compltely non digital. Plus that is like taking a step back in technology.
    The natural world is non digital, so why can't you believe it? The thing about digital is that when it encounters something that is hasn't planned for or isn't programmed for it doesn't know what to do, but something analog is much more able to adapt.

Thats where AI comes in. Not just a program, but actual artifical inteligence where it can learn on its own. It is currently in development and they are having some success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Faster than light travel IS possible, but only if we do NOT excellerate to light speed. The principle is very simple: we just stretch the Space time behind us so that we don't move while the distance between us and our target gets smaller.

Yeah, I admit I'm a Trekkie But this is possible, it has been proven to work (Scientific way of course)
    Then again: nothing in science is 100% certain... But we'll see...
    I dont know if the principle is THAT simple

Comeon Einsteins theorys are currently being disproved (by the fact that we have shot light beams faster that light), and he was a geinous.

PS, did I just say "light" beams faster that "light"? Hmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by d3v

I don't mean to sound like a science nerd or anything when I say this but it's impossible for humans to travel at light speed.

[/B]
    Actually I think you are a bit off...can you explain your reasoning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stretch the "space time" behind us? Oh yeah, we'll just have to build a space-time stretching machine first.

Call me an idiot: but how do we do that? And yeah, you're right about the Star Trek thing: next thing you know you'll be telling me we have to create a Temperal Wake.