SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What tracking tool beside IP checking & cookie reading are there?

Hello,

I thought that IP checking and cookie writing and then reading were the only 2 ways
    for a server to keep track of a user, but apparently there is another way.
    What is that?

For example, this site is able to know who I am, even though I have cleared my
    Cookies and use a different IP than the original IP I used to visit it 1st.
    How is that possible?
    How can a site keep track of you beside IP tracking and Cookie writhing / reading?

This issue/question has really been baffling me.

Regards,

Anoox search engine volunteer

www.anoox.com

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are also the loosely termed 'supercookies' which is a technique based on multiple local data storage e.g html5 dom storage, flash local shared object, java and silverlight data caches, and also browser/OS/IP metric fingerprinting, which they use to store, retrieve and regenerate data associated with a user.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ThanX.

WOW! What are these?
    What is the best read on these other browser identification methods?

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    There are also the loosely termed 'supercookies' which is a technique based on multiple local data storage e.g html5 dom storage, flash local shared object, java and silverlight data caches, and also browser/OS/IP metric fingerprinting, which they use to store, retrieve and regenerate data associated with a user.

Anoox search engine volunteer

www.anoox.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original 'Evercookie' demo script can be found at http://samy.pl/evercookie/ (Supercookie is what the media called it)

The CSS browser history hack* portion no longer works with latest versions of Firefox & IE, visitors with older browsers are of course still vulnerable.
    *Identified by MIT students over a decade ago and re-worked by Jerimiah Grossman as a means of reading a browsers entire surfing history and his blog entry is a fascinating read all by itself

Getting a bit more advanced is the newer concept of visitor PC profiling. Not as specific as an individual cookie but rather more a way of identify which 'herd' of visitors/consumers a particular PC belongs to, though it can sometimes be very accurate! See https://panopticlick.eff.org/ Most of the script used is Javascript with help from a small amount of Flash that can be replicated with a little digging into the source code.
    Lovelogic.net Personal Projects Pit - Spammers welcome