Would there be an appropriate way to classify containers? For example, Apache could be considered a web container whereas Tomcat and OC4J could be considered application containers... Maybe I'm over-thinking things? It gets a little hairy for me with this because some things could be construed in multiple ways (not to mention that the brunt of my experience deals mostly with Apache and Tomcat). I mean, Tomcat can do both web and app stuff...

That said, the reason I'm asking about this is because I'm creating a wiki at work which provides a way to create server pages that help keep track of things ranging from last updates performed to which apps might be installed, etc. One of our templates has a way to select from a category of "Web Containers" when creating one of these pages but due to specifics, it should probably be changed or extended to provide a clearer distinction between both "Web Containers" and or "Application Containers" as our shop does a lot of Java work among general web stuff...

I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Would "Web Container" and "Application Container" suffice? Is there such a thing as a "Database Container" (i.e. - could "MySQL", "Oracle", etc. be considered database containers?)