SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everybody,

I currently run a daily humor ezine with over 12,000 subscribers, called Loogy. To me, it's a business, and I'm always trying to make the most money I can from it, as well as provide top quality content to my readers.

However, recently it's dawned on me that the potential for a general topic list (such as humor) isn't very great. I'd say, the very most you could charge is $5 CPM, whereas targeted lists such as iconocast.com (a newsletter geared towards internet marketers) charge over $100 CPM. That's 20 times what I could potentially make, and I'm delivering daily, while they're only delivering weekly!

I'm starting a newsletter geared towards webmasters called http://www.askwebnerds.com hoping to start my own webmaster forum, as well as a webmaster newsletter written by myself.

Does anybody here have any success publishing a general topic list? Or, from a profit perspective, is a targeted list the way to go?

Any ideas?
    Edwin Day
    http://www.loogy.com

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try some advertising brokers such as BURST or Advertising.com or Oaknetpub.com to sell ad space in your general list.

A targetted list is the best way to go, although I think that there are WAAAY too many sites and ezines for webmasters already out there. You'd definitely have to specialize further, for example PERL programming or Web Databases or something.

Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt's right, he was lucky enough to start early. Personally, I don't visit many webmaster sites because I have already find the ones I like and have no interest in others.