SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Review my Joomla! website - Corporate Guru

Hello Everyone,

I have recently created a website called Corporate Guru: www.corporateguru.org

It is a website which has financial analysis of Corporate Press releases with insider's view and prediction of what a company might do in future.

The website is in beta level. There are huge changes that has to be done. I am running out of ideas for making it more attractive and useful for users.

Do provide your valuable reviews!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, your site is nice, the only thinks that I dont like is the yellow logo on head pic, I don't like font, try other fonts I like try this or something similar http://www.dafont.com/revolution-saji.font

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Don't take this as a criticism, but it always fascinates me that people say things like this in a review request ...

It is a website which has financial analysis of Corporate Press releases with insider's view and prediction of what a company might do in future.
    ... but don't say it on their website! Or at least prominently on the home page. If I were to stumble on your site, I'd have no idea from looking at the home page what it's about and why I should stay, so I'd probably leave. You need to make it clear straight away. Often you only have a few seconds to catch your audience before they leave.

There's plenty of nice space under your site name for a nice description of the site and its purpose.

By the way, make sure to include text for the main title, rather than just an image. Text in an image only can't be read by those with images turned off or by blind visitors. And if you think blind visitors don't matter, remember that Google is one of those.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do not like the yellow text too much on the logo. And the header is as generic as it can be.

Also as you scroll down, all the content seems to be just "there" it doesn't feel like it flows. As a visitor... I'm not sure where to go next or what to do after I hit the page.

The "Welcome" link on the top left takes you back to the homepage... essentially in the same spot where you are. Did you intend for that?

I would increase the "current" article on the left to "latest articles" and show more... because you're already showing the latest article in the center column.

The category catalog heading has a "+" and that takes me to the top of the page... why? what is that for?j

That rotating book widget is neat... but a bit confusing to use. I would go with a more traditional and proven approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mydiscogr View Post
    Hi, your site is nice, the only thinks that I dont like is the yellow logo on head pic, I don't like font, try other fonts I like try this or something similar http://www.dafont.com/revolution-saji.font
    Thanks! I am still experimenting with the fonts. Banner sucks, I know!

Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m
    ... but don't say it on their website! Or at least prominently on the home page. If I were to stumble on your site, I'd have no idea from looking at the home page what it's about and ....
    Thanks a million for the valuable insights. Currently I am trying to experiment with Joomla!. The point of disabled vision people going through my website never occurred to me. Thanks. I think reaching that stage will take another week...!

I am also working on intro page to include phrases like "financial analysis", "Corporate Actions", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggydigee
    I also do not like the yellow text too much on the logo. And the header is as generic as it can be.

Also as you scroll down, all the content seems to be just "there" it doesn't feel like it flows. As a visitor... I'm not sure where to go next or what to do after I hit the page.

The "Welcome" link on the top left takes you back to the homepage...
    I am changing the banner soon! Did you try for "read more" button which is visible after every article?
    Regarding:Welcome link - I am trying to put some content about the website and remove About us.. let me know how does it sound?

[+] is for showing subcategory. I am trying to add more..

Trying to add more widgets.

Thanks a lot guys!! Keeping giving me feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Nice site but header baner is weak.
    There should be a white, clean banner with a simple font text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the banner needs work, but overall I like the site. It would be nice to integrate social network sharing options at the bottom of your front-page articles. I think it will also improve the aesthetics of the page... People like noticing their ability to share content easily.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey bro, I am just sharing my personal opinion here. Not to hurt you or underestimate you or your site. These are not even advices. Just some honest view or opinion and what I think about your beautiful website.

Logo – I couldn’t find any logo or somehow I couldn’t see any unique logo. If there is no logo then I thing you can work on your logo a bit. Personally I think a good unique and attractive logo can establish the identity of your website and is important in making the website known and keeping it known by the public.
    Banner – Ooopss. Take care of it bro. too simple and common.

Favicon – needs a better and clear favicon I think. I think a good and clear favicon helps in branding process.
    Color Combination – I think your site’s color combination is good. It’s clean and clear.

Title – I think you need some attention on your page title tag. better and targeted keyword is required I guess.
    Overall a nice site.

Good luck brother.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to list every problem in the first page.
    1.What's with the white space at the top?
    2.The banner header is aligned badly.
    3. Why is the search button at the top?
    4. Is there actually a logo. Please add a good title tag. Don't use "Welcome to ______" Instead, use something like "Home-Corporate Guru | Keyword | Keyword"
    5. You don't need a You are here: home for the home page
    6. The alignment of the left sidebar is off, especially the gateway.
    7. make the link a:hover colors the same, please.
    8. The follow us: images are messed up when hovered.
    9. Please write with right grammar, there were at least 20 mistakes.
    10. Make all text color the same, please
    Good ideas, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by andywhizwang
    Please write with right grammar, there were at least 20 mistakes
    Can you please point out the mistakes? I would be glad.

I am changing the entire banner and theme of the website. Great idea about removing "You are here"..

Quote Originally Posted by Obosh
    Hey bro, I am just sharing my personal opinion here. Not to hurt you or underestimate you or your site. These are not even advices. Just some honest view or opinion and what I think about your beautiful website....
    Thanks man! Much appreciated. I have actually started implementing the ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by DaynaDeruelle
    integrate social network sharing options at the bottom of your front-page articles. I think it will also improve the aesthetics of the page...
    I have added the buttons for "Follow us".. Trying to put bookmark buttons too..

Thanks a lot for pin pointing the improvements.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of things come to my mind:
    - With the first glance, I'm not able to tell what the "corporate guru" does or is about. You could consider adding some sort of one sentence pitch under the corporate guru text. After eventually finding the "about us" section, I understood that it's a news site.
    - I assume that for this site the "category catalog" is the main way to navigate the site? If so, I would bring this to the top the page, e.g. as a horizontal navigation bar right under the picture where it's very visible and easily accessible.
    - You could save a lot of space in the left side navigation by bringing all the login/registering related components e.g. to the top right corner of the site.
    - The search function should probably have the search button after the input field, right now it feels a bit weird to enter the search term and then click on the top of the input field.

Hope this helps!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting concept for a site idea.

While I am typically a fan over function over form, I think your site may be lacking too much form, and it districts from the overall function of the website. The header image is far to large and causes valuable content to fall "below-the-fold" on the screen, meaning you have to scroll a ways to view your content. The header image also leaves little to be desired, the star-burst a clip-art image almost fly in direct contrast to the whole "corporate" idea.

I would suggest some simple gradients and non-pixelated images for your top banner. Create some consistency across your site with accent colors and pallets used across your entire site.

Your content will always be the driving force with your visitors, so make the area for viewing larger and emphasize the text.

This is your site at the W3C Validator, you have a few errors to check out: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...alidator%2F1.3

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am no expert and certainly dont know nothing about "financial analysis of Corporate Press releases " but if you would like my honest opinion as a visitor to your website i am happy to give my view.

My initial thought was that unfortunately, it didnt grab me.

The first thing i noticed and disliked was the header/logo/search bar (as obosh already commented there was no unique logo) which at first glance was unappealing and looked unprofessional im afraid.

Moving down, the website improves and i found it a good layout that I think you could really work on and improve.

I didnt see any keywords or much content that grabbed me or explained in brief what your website was about so if I were to stumble upon it I wouldnt know what your site was really about. There was quite a lot of grammar mistakes too.

Sorry I dont mean to put it down, I think you have good foundations to build a great website but it does need a lot of work and there a lot of helpful comments in the above posts too.

Good luck with it all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot people! I really appreciate your view!

I have recently made few changes. Added few badges and other links. Also added few backlinks. I am trying to work on graphics and banner. Logo is getting ready.

Keep giving me your feedback.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I like the concept for the website, but the web design is a big issue here.

The main issue I immediately see when I enter the site is the Header really looks awful. It looks very old-fashioned, the font is off, the logo is bad. The search bar is just kinda plopped on top of the header in a disorganized way. This is the first thing the user sees so this really affects the perception of the site. For me, a financial site should NOT look cheap and this one does.

The boardroom image slideshow seems pointless and also contributes to the old-fashioned cheap theme. I'd kill it.

Many of the images you embed in your posts look out of focus. Don't put an image if it's not a high-res good looking image as it kills the perception of the site.

The Category Catalog (strange wording) is too low in the sidebar, it should be near the top. The registration box maybe should be on the right side, it blends too much into the sidebar.

I also don't understand why sometimes the font is black and sometimes it is blue. The design should be totally consistent.

Hope that helped! Didn't mean to be too harsh.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Cool. Good replies here, but the thread is a bit old now. Thread closed.