User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Get Web Sites to work in most browsers

I don't get it. I don't know how it is done. Why can't I get a even the most simplest web site to look and work the same in Netscape and IE.. ugh!!!!! I mean I know there are differences but short of doing browser detection and writting for different versions and browsers I really don't understand how people get cross platform websites.

Can any body help me out?

Thanks

Jimmy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post some screenshots of what you've got in both the rest of Sitepoint and I would be glad to help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my personal experience, it is usually not properly cloding tags that causes all kinds of problems. I have found that IE is kind, but Netscape is strict as far as tag closures are concerned.

Make sure that you properly indent your html, so that it is obviously where the problems are:

<table ...>
    <tr>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry my previous message got clipped..

From my personal experience, it is usually not properly closing tags that causes all kinds of problems. I have found that IE is kind, but Netscape is strict as far as tag closures are concerned.

Make sure that you properly indent your html (optimize for bandwidth later)
    <table ...>
    &nbsp;<tr>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;<td>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
    &nbsp;</tr>
    </table>

So I would say make sure your html is correct. You can use a validator such as this: http://validator.w3.org/

ezClassifieds

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more info

Thanks for the info and the offer of help.

I am looking for more specific and more technical details. For instance I know some tags don't work IE but do work in NS. Some CSS attributes work IE but NS completely ignores most everything that IE likes. I've used a browser detection script in the past and coded all the web pages for the current version of IE and NS and the two previous version as well as seperate pages for low screen resolutions. I want another choice. Something dynamic not just content dynamic but something...I guess could stick all that browser specific code in database along with the content and build it on the fly but thats really no different then creating static pages. There's this little voice in the back of my head that tells me I am missing some critical piece of information to make my life easier when it comes to the incompatible browser syndrome.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have never heard of an 'easy' way to do it. It is pretty much brute force and trial and error. If there is a magic solution, then I would be the first (or second after you), who would want to know.

That aside, I design for IE, and try to make it *not break* in Netscape. There is only so much time I can devote to cross-browser issue.

ezClassifieds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best thing to do is just go by the standards. If you author to HTML 4.0 or xhtml 1.0 transitional*, and run a validator, you'll go a long way to making sure your site works in all browsers. Other than that there isn't any one secret but more a matter of trial and error (oh, and a CSS chart that tells you what works in which browser.

Which version of netscape are you having problems with, anyway? Most people don't bother too much with Netscape 4 anymore beyond basic functionality. (unless you're like me and have clients who still use the darn thing!)

* you could go to xhtml strict, but it seems that people have more problems when they get to that level since a support for some of the more advanced code is still a little sketchy in some browsers..
    Last edited by Megs; Nov 28, 2002 at 14:20.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I'm repeating some of what Megs said, but this is worth emphasising:

What version of Netscape?

Netscape 4.x is a disaster with CSS. It wrecks stuff that looks fine in most other browsers.

Netscape 6/7 and their relatives (e.g. mozilla, pheonix, chimera, galeon) do a damn good job with CSS, provided you get the code right (validate, validate, validate)

If your customer will let you, life can be much easier if you ignore NN4, and just make everything work in NN6+. Believe me, making HTML/CSS that works in both NN6+ and IE 5.5+ is pretty easy (life gets a bit more complicated for DHTML, but is still possible with the W3C DOM). If you cover those two, odds are that it will work in Opera, too, without you having to lift a finger.

Alternatively, investigate hacks like the @import technique mentioned on this page (look for the header "protecting the innocent"). These techniques allow you to hide your advanced CSS from most of the browsers that are going to mess it up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great input and info!!

I went through today and converted some personal web apps, I run on PWS, to XHTML 1.1 Trans, Frameset and Strict ( if didn't cause my page to break). I found a great site ( beside this one ) at http://www.w3schools.com/. I would recommend everybody checking this site out. And I read through XML and XHTML articles here.

I am also going back and looking through my CSS's

Admittedly, I haven't been doing any web dev/web design work for over a year now ( two major moves...ugh!! ) but I plan to get back into the swing of things. I just need to scare up some extra work.

Anyway thanks again!!

Jimmy

And it was NS4/4.7!!