User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wow, still more great posts coming in.

A collective welcome to all of you new members! It's great to see you here.

Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Well guys, this was a fun exercise, and I have to admit, it's difficult to pick a winner! So many good points made, and many good explanations of various points. Firstly, before announcing the winner, kudos to the following people:

- r937 (#1), for first spotting the mismatch of the class in the HTML and id in the CSS.
    - edbrenner (#2), for spotting the erroneous hex code and the <hl> typo.
    - tebzil (#3), for the missing apostrophe on Its, the bacground typo, the missing question mark,
    - tonyhouse (#5), for pointing out the need for the period after "top div", and mega kudos for spotting that HTML and CSS should be capitalized. (That was one I was hoping to catch you all out on!)
    - pdmeyer (#6), for spotting that the float on the H1 would cause the container div to collapse and thus also prevent the background color from showing up.
    - delr2691, for noting the extra "Code:".
    - anekola (#10) for asking why the h1 is floated at all. Perhaps there are other elements inside that top div that the OP hasn't told us about?
    - galvao (#18) and RyanKing1809 (#22), for longer explanations of the hex code situation.
    - RyanKing1809 (#22) for a longer explanation of the float/background color situation.
    - r937 (#1), for pointing out the missing SQL. Shocking!

A few Notes

- it's OK to set a color with background: (as noted by hmudesign, #23). Indeed, it can be more reliable that background-color sometimes.
    - there either needs to be a period after "the top div" or "Its" should not have a capital I. I would argue that a period is required there, as "I have a problem with the top div" really is a complete idea that does not run on well into the next statement. So I favor a period there. (The use of a capital I was a clue to that.) delr2691 and lillyanka also suggested a colon instead, which is better than a comma, so is a viable alternative ... though I prefer a period.
    - I would argue that the comma after "red" is required, as there's a natural pause there.
    - there are two instances of "its". The first is a contraction of "it is", so requires an apostrophe. The second ("its background") does not require an apostrophe. It is indeed possessive, but "its" as a possessive is an exception to the rule of an apostrophe for possession (as noted by Bursh in post #13).
    - in terms of the HTML, often in forums you get a snippet of code to work on, so I wasn't concerned that there's no doctype in the example.
    - HTML and CSS should indeed be capitalized. They are initialisms created from "hypertext markup language" and "cascading style sheets". (These names don't need capitals when spelled out.) These are initialisms, rather than acronyms, as they are pronounced letter-by-letter, rather than as a new name (like UNESCO, which is an acronym).
    - in terms of the "Code:" that appears before each code block, that's inserted automatically by the system, so not much we can do about that, even if it's not ideal. Hoever, the extra "Code:" after "html" was certainly an error.
    - Using .top h1 would also target the h1, but since there's normally only one h1 on the page (unless you are using HTML5), you might as well just target it with h1 alone.

Winner

Congratulations to @hmudesign (post #23)!

As I said, it's hard to pick, and there were lots of good explanations, which I encouraged. No one actually listed every single possible error, but of the errors I saw, hmudesign only missed the closing <hl>. hmudesign's post is a nice summary of the errors.

What I liked about this post was the the crisp, clear way the errors were indicated. Even though they weren't explained as such, the initial point about the background property being appropriate for setting a background color only was nicely expressed.

Thanks again everyone for participating!

We hope to run some more of these quick comps in coming weeks.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Awesome job @ralph.m ; I think we can declare this a success! If you PM me your preferred email address for receipt of your prize @hmudesign ; I'll get that organised for you. Congratulations.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all still missed an obvious one guys (we might use again later) but some great attempts and well done to hmudesign.

Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xhtmlcoder View Post
    You all still missed an obvious one guys ...
    Go on, spit it out!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Yes Ralph, alot of work went into this by you and the posters. Way To Go! It was fun. The open format was amazing as it drew surprisingly different results (shades of detail, and different takes). Please know one that participated in this thread, ever correct my grammar, syntax, spelling as I could only wish you strength Nice work everyone, and great job Ralph!
    ictus==""

Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    For anyonw who's interested, we have a new Spot the Error competition here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...26#post5161226

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged