SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my new portfolio site

Please check out my new portfolio site, let me know what you think. http://tinyurl.com/no56bg

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks really good. Though I'm not a fan of splash screens and it took me longer than normal to find the link to continue to page, maybe if that link was the only thing in a different colour..... otherwise its really cool. hope that helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rie about the splash screen and find it an unnecessary stop before getting to your actual site. I also noticed that with Javascript disabled (some people surf the web without Javascript in their browsers for various reasons) nothing at all comes up, so you've effectively excluded those people.

I generally like your use of typography, but the two headers on your splash screen ("Fresh contrast..." and "My spot on the web...") is a bit too much. In my opinion it makes for unnecessary reading and it also looks like it links to two big sections when both of them just lead to one page. Confusing.
    The same goes for your other pages. For instance "What you've came across here is the selected showcase by designer Karim Balaa" is unnecessary and can be shortened down to just "Selected showcase". You should also reflect the content in your navigation tabs. As it now stands the "My work" tab is entitled "What you've came across here is the selected showcase by designer Karim Balaa.". I'd relabel it as simply "My work".
    Keep it simple and keep in mind that things move fast on the web. If you make people wait too long of have them find the site confusing or complicated they might go elsewhere if they're not specifically looking for your site.
    The "About me" tab reveals information about the site sections as well as yourself, so I would rename it to "About" instead.

Apart from the above I think your layout and design is clean and appealing, and looking at your work I can see that you're a professional. You should really reflect the same professionalism in your site, and I think it can be done with very little work.
    Hope you find my comments useful and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am different from the two replies before me. I like splash screens. However, I don't like your splash screen. The reason is that your main content is your design content, right? The first thing I should see is your work. The text "MY SPOT ON THE WEB" seems kind of irrelevant and gives the viewer a chance to decide not to enter before they even know what you do. Unless you're trying to show off how typefont saavy you are. Basically what i'm saying that I think your splash page should have a big picture of something that sums up your work and entices the viewer to continue. Not something that does the opposite like that.

Also I think the splash page needs to be alittle more simple. Like one of the guys before me said, he had a hard time figuring out what he was supposed to click. I looked closely and all the links go to the next page (except the social networking buttons). It just looks confusing with all that unnecessary text. I think instead of "MY SPACE ON THE WEB" and all that little text under it. It should just have the big image that sums up your work with that text description as part of the picture. You can put that description in a meta tag if you want spiders to still read it.

When I actually went onto the website I was very pleased. I like how organized the different contents are with the pictures and text and description underneath it. You have a nice site map at the bottom. The navigation seems to have a bunch of pages, but it seems organized still. I don't have anything constructive to say about it because I think its great.

Nice work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, this feedback has been great. Good points about the the splash page, I will be giving it some thought to see how I should rework it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi visual kreasi,
    I am sure this is the best site to be reviewed here at present (for me).
    1. Design, you are a designer, it's you decision to make it like yours.
    2. I really love the font, looks pro. But I think it's a bad idea to give such color for the description of each portfolio, since it's almost likely similar with background color.
    3. I love the blog, but you will get more visitors if you create great contents. Why not to make a tutorial or else?
    4. If I were you, I will use jquery to use pagination at portfolio page.

Bottom line, great design site!

Best regards,
    Andhie.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head as I look at it...

* Meh on the landing page. Just show us what you got. No mystery or anything needed. give us the goods.
    * I like the layout up top the diamond effect you created with the logo, text and back around with the social media buttons.
    * The font fits the design perfectly but I wonder if from a readability standpoint if it's too small. I'm looking on a hi-res display and it was tiny.
    * I like the single item landing pages with the sidebar there... why not add individual blurbs about what we're looking at on each page. You probably get a lot better traffic and stats that way. See: https://skitch.com/oscarg/87ane/otta...er-karim-balaa
    * Features and Recognition links should take me to where I can find them, not to the main page of the site that awarded them IMO.

Overall I think it's awesome, the content is great. I would just check it on various sizes displays to make sure it looks good everywhere. Nice job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the good feedback. I decided to remove the splash page as it was not really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggydigee View Post
    Off the top of my head as I look at it...

* Meh on the landing page. Just show us what you got. No mystery or anything needed. give us the goods.
    * I like the layout up top the diamond effect you created with the logo, text and back around with the social media buttons.
    * The font fits the design perfectly but I wonder if from a readability standpoint if it's too small. I'm looking on a hi-res display and it was tiny.
    * I like the single item landing pages with the sidebar there... why not add individual blurbs about what we're looking at on each page. You probably get a lot better traffic and stats that way. See: https://skitch.com/oscarg/87ane/otta...er-karim-balaa
    * Features and Recognition links should take me to where I can find them, not to the main page of the site that awarded them IMO.

Overall I think it's awesome, the content is great. I would just check it on various sizes displays to make sure it looks good everywhere. Nice job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

At first i must say that i had fresh feeling of the site but sorry to say that it was just only a first impression. The site look like a news paper design, We have so much colours and options, newspapers are of that type since color printing is very costly. the design is ok if yu are tying to focus the readers attention to yoour design rather than the web site itself

The most horrible thing in your web site is the font i am not able to read it surely you should think that as a user of a web site i am just clicking your design to get its details if the details is not readable then no need of licking it

so please change the font and make it readable

Vipin

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:43. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at
    http://newark1.com/
    and get some ideas
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keyword check with keyword suggestion tool

Free Keyword Suggestion Tool
    http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html

<title>Ottawa Graphic Design and Art Direction - Karim Balaa - Fresh
    Contrast</title> (70 characters [including spaces])

graphic design 1429
    web design 286
    art 4796
    art direction (not listed)

<meta name="description" content="Fresh Contrast is the online identity and
    portfolio for Ottawa graphic designer and Art Director Karim Balaa. I
    specialize in creative concepts and interactive design."/>

creative concepts (not listed)
    interactive design 1
    graphic designer 293
    -
    To help with your meta tags SEO, you may want to use some keywords that mean
    the same but have higher popularity. Use the free keyword suggestion tool
    above or another one to check your keywords
    -
    hope this helps
    falcon
    Many good Free Tutorials at:
    http://freetutorials.name

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the design! but maby you can change the font, its a litlle hard to read the font.

Greetings,
    Siemen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really looking Great with simple and Effective design and user-friendly navigation.

But Let You know my perception is why the post is going Blurred when I mouse-over on any post ?

It's great if the post increase it's brightness when you're going to click on some post.. Apart from this I really enjoy your site...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good job

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it has really valuable design, Amazing theme and readable easy contents, This site would be useful and practical for my staff.

SitePoint Enthusiast hypernovadesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great designs. Which program have you used to produce such quality images or is that a combination of few of them? Generally, the website's home page has a slick look. Very professional indeed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hypernovadesign View Post
    Great designs. Which program have you used to produce such quality images or is that a combination of few of them? Generally, the website's home page has a slick look. Very professional indeed!
    Thanks, Yeah its a combination of Photoshop & Illustrator for the most part.

SitePoint Enthusiast hypernovadesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, than I must say you are gifted as creating such great designs is not simply spreading butter on a slice of bread