SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would appreciate feedbak on my site

I would really appreciate your feedback on http://www.microcide.com.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It seems a little text-heavy to me. I mean, those big blocks of text can be a bit off putting. It would also help to have the text a bit larger. for me it's too small.

The first thing I look for on a site is what it's for. You do have a detailed explanation on the Home page, so well done there, although I'd suggest you firstly create a simple statement of around ten to fifteen words that sums up what the site is for and place it in big type on the home page (next to the image slider, which could be half width). At the moment, I can only really find out what the site is for by reading the small text, and you may find people won't bother with that and will leave.

Rather than "Always safe and effective" as a subtitle to the logo, I'd suggest something like "safe, non-toxic antimicrobial products" or something like that—again, to make it as clear as possible what the site is presenting.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small point on the "Our Company" page: typically, you would refer to state universities as The University of Michigan (as you have), but if the name of the university comes after the place, you don't use "the," you simply say "Iowa State University" or "Ohio State University." This keeps you from alienating potential customers who prefer other universities in Iowa and Ohio :-)

A bigger point on the "Our Company" page--it doesn't say who you are or where the company is based. You have an address on the contact page, but no names anywhere. I'd recommend you add the name of the person in charge of the company, as well as the city where the company is located.

Your logo does not link to the home page, which is standard practice you might want to consider. Also, you might want to hide the blog tab until you have more information there.

As far as the home page, I agree with Ralph--I think it's better to use the home page for a general description of the site, and leave the specific details to appropriate sub-pages. Also, for me, the way the header image carousel works is too abrupt. I can't figure out why--it's not that the speed is too fast--I think it has more to do with the image shifting suddenly and the related text sliding into place behind it. You might try a basic fade for each image instead of two separate movements for each header ad.

The colors and overall layout seem logical and clear for users.

Good luck with the site!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Title tag is long and spammy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site, but I have some suggestions.

- I suggest you slow down your banners. I can not finish reading before it slides.
    - Do you sell? Why I get nowhere from your banners. Add big buttons with More Info or buy now
    - No buttons to buy on product listing.
    - From first 5 sec, I can not get what you sell. Nothing suggests me what this site is about.
    This is is what I found from glancing at your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I agreed the site is a little "text heavy". I felt a little overwhelemed with content as a result. I understand you are trying to tell us a lot, but I think the average user may be turned off by this.
    2. Having no previous experience with your company, I also kind of wanted an immediate explanaiton of who you were. The banner with your products does of course hint at it, but it still took longer than it could have. I suggest place the words "We are the leading providers of safe and non-toxic antimicrobial products." some where in the banner, big letters. It should be the first thing someone sees so they know immediately who you are.
    3. I also agree the banner scrolls a bit to fast. For the user who wants to quickly scroll, perhaps have some buttons that let you immediately go to the next slide.
    4. I think your products section was pretty well organized.
    5. The FAQ section however only had a two items, and I think there are probably more FAQs you could answer than just these two.
    6. You contact section was right on. I like having the option of using your form or being able to email or call. I noticed you do not have an @ symbol in the email address. This is probably because you dont want spiders picking it up, but perhaps have another way of indicating this. An average user might not understand there is an implied @microcide.com

But it's a great start. Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I think the site is attractive and modern.

I like the slide show, but it is large and takes up almost the entire portion of the screen "above the fold" for me. Once I started reading I figured out what the company made, but it is not immediately evident when you land on the site. I would add a prominent tagline somewhere, similar to the first sentence, so people knew right away what the company made.

I'm with everyone else in that there is too much text. I would better utilize headlines and graphics to break up the text and cut out everything that wasn't absolutely necessary to communicate your message.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    web design: I like the site and gives it 7/10. looks formal as is should be.
    seo: nice linking profile with some great backlinks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I like it. The images you selected are very pleasing and eye-catching. They represent your message very well.
    I'm not sure if you already corrected the speed of the slide after the feedback already received, because I didn't notice it being too fast.
    I agree with others that the front page is too text heavy. It seems redundant to put so much text about the products when you're going to do it again when they click on the product information. Maybe just use the title and a brief tag with a ling for MORE.
    I definitely think you should increase the space between the lines of text. It's hard to read. I think better sites use 1.5 spacing.
    But, good start!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all your front page should say, (see below) then link to other pages with your full product descriptions only on the pages of the product. if I want mouthwash, I may not want to read about soap.
    The front page wants me to dedicate way too much of my time before I know what I am getting into. use your front page to get my attention only, not to educate.
    Like a salesman saying, how would you like to live 10 years longer? OK, I am interested
    , tell me more. Your age skips all that and goes right to the boring sales stuff...
    ==========================================================================================

Welcome to Microcide

We are the leading providers of safe and non-toxic antimicrobial products. Years of research have led to the invention of products that are safe and non toxic yet kill bacteria on contact. Our products are safe because they are made only from ingredients approved by the FDA and USDA as food grade. We provide powder forms of our products whenever possible cutting down on packaging waste, and making it easier to carry along while traveling.
    ==========================================================================================

Doing this would also keep everything "above the fold" or eliminate the need for anyone to scroll down your page. Place stuff like contact, links and other things for the interested people and the search engines below the fold.
    PS my spell check did not like a few words on your site either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I like it. The images you selected are very pleasing and eye-catching. They represent your message very well.
    I'm not sure if you already corrected the speed of the slide after the feedback already received, because I didn't notice it being too fast.
    I agree with others that the front page is too text heavy. It seems redundant to put so much text about the products when you're going to do it again when they click on the product information. Maybe just use the title and a brief tag with a ling for MORE.
    I definitely think you should increase the space between the lines of text. It's hard to read. I think better sites use 1.5 spacing.
    But, good start!

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much text. I would eliminate the newsletter text on the left side, there is two paragraphs showing next to the long one one the right. The colors on the navigation bar may need a little help, mostly the hovering colors as things get a little hard to see. I don't know if I would use blue text either, perhaps a lighter grey or just black and then have your key links be blue so they stand out for people to click on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's looking good, but there are a few minor points that I think could be improved on.

It's not immediately clear what you do, are you a manufacturer or a wholesaler or a retailer. Make this really clear from the first page, so that people know why they are on your site. You have a really large space on the home page next to the top photo that you are not making use of, that could be filled with a heading, or even better make the top section a slider. This is your chance to tell people what you do.

Another minor point is that clicking on your logo should take you to the homepage, at the moment your site doesn't do this. I would also make your twitter and Facebook links a bit more prominent, at the moment they look a little squashed in right at the top of the screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your web, clean and clear in my opinion
    but i think the article text is so bold and too contrast in my eyes
    And one thing I want to suggest is the header maybe can be smaller, it's be out of sight i think

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i opened your site and found that site is really very attractive but somethings u must change up:
    CSS for navigation bar .
    slow down the slider frequency .
    add more content to the index page inorder to make it longer.
    increase the header and size of logo.
    add site search and some more social icons which will help to increase your business.

your sites opening speed is very fine and it is also well designed . nice great work so far .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OllyB View Post
    It's looking good, but there are a few minor points that I think could be improved on.

It's not immediately clear what you do, are you a manufacturer or a wholesaler or a retailer. Make this really clear from the first page, so that people know why they are on your site. You have a really large space on the home page next to the top photo that you are not making use of, that could be filled with a heading, or even better make the top section a slider. This is your chance to tell people what you do.

Another minor point is that clicking on your logo should take you to the homepage, at the moment your site doesn't do this. I would also make your twitter and Facebook links a bit more prominent, at the moment they look a little squashed in right at the top of the screen.
    I looked at your site originally on my ipad, and have just looked at it again on my desktop, and realised that you do have text and more images in the top section. I would change this so that you use javascript instead of flash, so it will be visible for all users, as on the ipad/iphone it just looks empty.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professional design, very nice, nothing to fix!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content wise site is ok, design is ok and also you have used social symbols such as the facebook and twitter although you can add more social symbols. One thing pinched me that when I clicked on blog, a new window has opened so I guess it would look better if you can manage to open blog in the same window.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the color scheme was nice and sanitary, so just right for your subject. The changing of pictures at the top was a bit too fast for me. On the menu, the 'hover' color of the text becomes very close to the background
    It might be better if it lit up more?

I was interested to see how the drop down sections of the menu would work on the touchscreen of this iPad. But they seem ok, with a quick touch just revealing the drop down options while a longer press engages the link

Nice
    John

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say I thought your page was pretty good! In the key text when it says .....antimicrobial products ( I would be tempted to add) .which kill bacteria.
    Yes you do go on to say this as antimicrobial indicates logically what it does but I dont think it would harm to spell it out

I found I focussed on the logo at the right and spent time reading the small print I was drawn to this and not the key text
    Be proud of this logo - increase its size BUT dont let text from key centre section lap into the area at the right
    so I feel that "....kills 99.999%" should word wrap and keep focus on the centre column in the page
    Can the forward and back panels have arrows?
    An image for the company location?
    I did not try it but does the submit button have precautions re non human approaches
    I thought the prod page excellent