User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Please could you view my PC review site

Hiya,

This is my very first post on the forum so a big hello to everyone on here

I would appreciate if somebody could take a moment to view my website and give me some feedback on likes/dislikes.

The site is only a little over 1 month old so I have lot`s of content to add still.

Don`t be afraid to tell me it`s complete rubbish, lol. I am still learning and relatively new to web design.

http://cgi.topseystar.plus.com/index.php

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It coming along nicely. good work. keep it going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rle View Post
    It coming along nicely. good work. keep it going.
    Hey, thanks a lot! it`s comments like yours that inspire me to keep going. Are there any improvements you have in mind?

Did the homepage have a welcoming feel to it? only for me I am not so sure

Thanks again.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to change fonts I don't like it too much, but anyway seems good and html is clean

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your site and idea. It's not cluttered and people visiting will immediately understand what it's about.
    However, there are a few changes I'd suggest:
    • Remove the hits counter and "under construction" from the main page if you want to do away with the amateurish feel (websites are generally never "completed" anyway since you add/change its contents now and then, so being under construction is a given). Hit counters have no use for visitors and can actually be of a disadvantage as people might judge the site as "not worth looking at" until the number is very high. I'm no expert in the field, but do believe Google analytics can give you those kind of statistics if you're interested in keeping track of visitor counts.
    • Remove the navigation at the bottom of the page. There's no need for duplicate navigation (top and bottom) which just confuses people.
    • Remove the explanations of the various sections from the main page. If you've labelled the navigation buttons properly (which you have) it's self explanetory anyway. Keep things short, simple and to the point. If you have other information relevant to introducing the site, there's where you can put it.
    • Remove the gray background of the "PCpartreview" logo. Make it transparent (useful if you want to change the site's background color) or just change it to the same white background color as you use on the site now.

Hope this is of help. Good luck with your site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To mydiscogr - I appreciate your comment. I am going to try a few different fonts this evening and see how it looks.

To Pyxxel - Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest your thoughts on improving my site. I have acted on your advice already.

I removed the hits counter which does in fact make the site look less amateurish, you were right. I will be using Google analytics at some point to monitor the traffic once I have a proper domain.

I removed the duplicate navigation from the footer. I will work on making the footer more attractive with other links that have relation to the site.

I`m going to look at replacing the explanations on the home page with other content. I`m not sure exactly what i`m going to use but im sure i`ll come up with something.

The grey background of the logo has been removed should I feel the need to use a different color scheme.

Again I appreciate your comments there and will continue working on the site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to be of help
    Looks a lot better already!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm not a big fan of the design but that is purely subjective. I think it would look a bit better if you chose Arial as the font and perhaps colour your links something other than the standard blue.

That said, it's a clear interface and easy to navigate. If your content is good... people will not be bothered that it doesn't look as good as ZDNet
    architxt.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ architxt and previous posters - I appreciate all your comments on my site but have decided to take it offline. As my HTML, CSS & PHP knowledge is very limited I must continue reading and learning the languages better. I will hopefully then come back with a much better site. I think I have gone into this trying to run before I can walk. Thank you again for all your support though, it was highly appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @frank32uk, good luck with your project!

If you're main goal is to be a publisher (as opposed to a web designer / builder) then you should consider using an existing design and CMS. If you use WordPress, for example, there are a tons of themes you can choose from - and you can probably find one that suits the type of website you want to build. It might not be a perfect match but it will be sure enough. The biggest difference being... many many many hours saved
    architxt.net