sorry if this is asked a lot.. i found a lot of threads with the same problems but could not find a solution that worked for me.

So I'm new at this and I was just making a test database.. just getting used to things. And I kept seeing this error on the home page of phpmyadmin that said "Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole by setting a password for user '.root'." Here's a screenshot: screen-capture-2.png

First, I tried going to the security page.. but there was no options to change or add a password. screen-capture-1.png

So I was all wtf. And opened the config.inc.php file and here is what it said: (added the lines for reference)
29 /* Authentication type */
30 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'config';
31 /* Server parameters */
32 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
33 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
34 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
35 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'socket';
36 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;
37 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;
38 /* Select mysqli if your server has it */
39 $cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';

So I changed some things and I've gotten the following errors:
changed socket to tcp, added a password, and changed line 37 to true, false or left it blank.
1. screen-capture-3.png
2. screen-capture-5.png
3. screen-capture-6.png

2. when I click on the link "./config.inc.php" it takes me to the page - http://localhost/phpmyadmin/show_config_errors.php
and on the page it says: Starting to parse config file...
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php on line 37

line 37 is: $cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = ;
But when I put true or false in there it gives one of the errors above.

3. will not take my user name and password.. it refreshes and shows error #1 or 2

Also, I am on a mac if that makes a difference. And also, I am a super php noob so if you could be as specific as possible that would be awesome.. thanks in advance for your time!