SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a news editing tool

I currently use NewsPro on my site, and I like it. I wish it had more to offer. For instance, I would like to be able to add a box that searches the news. I would also like to have it where it will cut off text at a certain point, with a link to read more by clicking a link, such as used at http://www.wininformant.com

I have also seen Greymatter and Moveable Type, but I was not able to confirm whether the software had those features. Has anyone used those programs? Do you know of alternative that includes the above features?

Thanks
    Last edited by Joshua Clinard; Mar 11, 2003 at 12:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moveable Type's popularity has just exploded in recent weeks - I have heard wonderful things about it. Unfortunately, it's more of a blog tool than a news publisher. Rather than letting this thread go unnoticed, I'll make sure you've seen the scripts here: http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scrip...ews_Publishing

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used Greymatter or Moveable type?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the middle of a script that has all the features you want and more ... won't be ready for a month or so though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<Advertising is strictly forbidden>>
    Last edited by mjames; Feb 25, 2002 at 21:26.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like what I am looking for. How do I get it?
    Last edited by Joshua Clinard; Feb 24, 2002 at 20:02.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you'll considerate this as blatant self-advertising, but have you taken a look to b2 ? It has the same features GM and MT have, yet it is PHP+MySQL based, and dynamically generates pages instead of creating static ones. A search box in one of these CGI programs is going to take a lot of resources (there was a thread on Aletia's forums about that), while PHP would go ok
    Then again b2 doesn't cut the text at a certain point automatically. You'd have to make it while you type the post by adding a <!--more--> comment.

But I'd agree none of the proposed solutions here are really news-oriented, they're more weblog-oriented. But erm, just like NewsPro is (a weblog tool that doesn't say its name...).

One good thing about b2 (and to be fair, MT and Blogger), is that you can use XMLRPC to post news, so you can use desktop clients like Bloggar or even a WAP service like WapBlogger to post news to your site. The latter enables you to just post from anywhere

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I decided to go with b2. I installed it and configured it in just a few hours. The thing I really like about it so far, is that I was able to add my old news articles that I had posted with NewsPro, into the database easily, and I was able to change the date/time. It was really easy to set up, so I will probably use this on another site as well, that currently uses NewsPro. I will reccomend this to my freinds.

If anyone wants to see what can be done with this wonderful script, see www.widescreenadvocate.org/news/news.php

Thank you.