SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can I GPL some of my WordPress theme and not the rest?

Hi,

GPL has got me confused and I'm hoping that someone(s) can shed light on this.

For example, if I create a commercial theme for WordPress, I understand that the PHP code is GPL'd by default -- at least this is my understanding.

But what about the stylesheets, sample images, gradient images, icons, and layout? Are those also put under GPL by default, or can I specify a different license for those elements?

The theme won't be distributed *with* WordPress, but it really doesn't do anything *without* WordPress.

Thanks for any insight!

Cranjled

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is this article from around 3 years ago, judging by the comments to that article there doesn't seem to be a consensus. IANAL, you should consult a lawyer who deals with copyright if in any doubt.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for that, SpacePhoenix. I have spoken to a couple Copyright attorneys and their opinion is that it's gray area and not really settled on way or the other.

I didn't read through the comments knowing all too well what those types of topics *can* spiral into, but the article makes some good points and does answer my question.

Thanks again!