Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi new site needs ur review

Hi, I've just finished (still in beta) my new site,

well the problem is to drive people inside, so I made some post to service such as reddit etc.
    althougth the feedback on google analytics is good just after these posts,
    after a day visits go down soon... and my site still have 2 or 1 visitors

so according your experience it is my site "not really useful" or just ok at the beginning...
    any suggest/experience are welcome

site is http://www.webmaster-toolbox.com

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi the concept is fine and it works well but the design is very basic. I would start off with thinking about a better logo and then building your branding around that.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I tried to have a look at your website to write some comment, but unfortunately is not opening.
    I wasn't been able to look at it. As soon as I see the website again, I will definitely write something.

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Tried my ongoing test site and clicked the "css detail and beautifier" "view" button which opened the following error page:

http://www.webmaster-toolbox.com/dis...hns-jokes.com/

I also tried the following site and got some strange messages?

http://www.webmaster-toolbox.com/
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all for comments

to: John_Betong, yes you right I have some bugs around ... but I hope to remove them
    to: Trazzy, this are important news my site is under gae, so maybe some people tell me that's no really good server get right...
    to: ozhef, yep I was ispired by metro style of windows 8 but maybe is too minimal

But my question is:
    1) If you've found my site useful.. or not
    2) If you have similar experence, I've posted on reddit.com and traffic go up, but after a day, go down from 300 to 2 3 visit a day... It is also according your experience positive or negative, any suggest... personal experience ?

Thanks again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used these kind of sites, but I guess I can see the use of them. A quick word on your design though, the small bit of text you have on the "frontpage". Why is it such a light shade of grey? It blends in with the background, which means a part of your visitors are likely to miss it. Give it a bit of confidence and bring it forward

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic and to the point. For those who use such a non-discript website, you may want to provide user reviews, and examples of what you can accomplish by using the site. I do find the sidebar on the right very accessible but white space still separates this from the main view. I like the gist of the site and look forward to the non-beta version.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to behati: you right I'll change grey thanks :

mattmny8:
    you get the point! "user reviews, and examples of what you can accomplish by using the site": you bring me on right way! maybe users dunno what they can do with my site! now I'm preparing a video to describe how to use it, than a review "how to..." (right?) (can you give me a url of that kinda site)

I don't understand what you want really mean with "I do find the sidebar on the right very accessible but white space still separates this from the main view"

and last thing, according your experience is a good idea using google app engine as hosting, one of these guy found my site down... then I not find such kinda site (like mine) hosted by google.

any idea how to use twitter into right way

thank u so much!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To help reviewers help you, it would be good if you could give us more information.

1. What needs reviewing?
    2. What does your business do?
    3. Who is your target market?
    4. What specific concerns do you have?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What needs reviewing?
    the site graphics and service if is "credible" is useful as is now

2. What does your business do?
    utility for webmaster and web programmers

3. Who is your target market?
    webmaster and web programmers

4. What specific concerns do you have?
    maybe that site is not userful or not at the level of others site and How to drive in traffic
    I never kickstart a site like this before

Thanks for your interest and for specific questions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that an explanation of what the site is actually used for would be good on the front page as well as a how-to guide (maybe below the search bar).

I like the navigation scheme idea but I don't think it is useful for this site. I would go with no navigation but instead a single link to the about page and then a home link on the about page.

Obviously light gray text on light gray background isn't gonna be a good thing. (Try #666866)

This may be the pixel pusher designer in me but the "start" button seems to be a px or two below the search bar.

On the plus side I really do like the simplistic layout and the idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a design of your site a lot. Using that site was simple enough. I just think that your site would need more actions. Currently only information I didn't know is response time. I have made my sites html and css, so there really isn't any need for me to see them and if I want to see them I just open my text editor and look at them. There is a small point of your site: it shows what my css do, but I prefer check out what my css do for my site.

Maybe you could add some actions to site. Example backlink checker, pr-checker etc.

Nice site anyway, just useless to me.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yallow: " I would go with no navigation but instead a single link to the about page and then a home link on the about page" sorry but I don't understand well this concept can your explain me better? thanks

mrcap: you get the point, I made some utilities that help to extract some information of a site, and I'm realizing that people use this utility for the our sites, so a javascript beatutifier and so on has no really sense, so maybe is more reasonable to add some others utilities like backlinks and other tools. (right?)

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    illegible grey text on white background far, FAR below accessibility minimums, uselessly large input box... (too big for my 1680x1050 laptop?!? (admittedly I only have about 1024 browser width available after portrait mode tabs) completely counterintuitive given the total lack of navigation or even a GOOD explanation of what the site is (that or I can't read the explanation), the pointless social networking BS on the side has broken placement (appearing UNDER my scrollbar here in Opera, jumps all over the place when hovered or on reloads/subpages) and takes WAY too blasted long to load, and you waste code *****ing about old browsers when there is NOTHING on that page to even warrant doing so; well, unless you count the pointless HTML 5 for nothing idiocy; a laugh at best when it's also using Paul Irish's stupid malfing IE sniffer around the HTML element.

The heading use makes no sense whatsoever (you're not starting a subsection with "tools for webmasters" so what makes that a SEPARATE heading?) much less the presentational image in the markup.

Also doesn't serve much purpose for me, since as a Opera user I can just open the "info" pane and get the same information.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deathshadow60
    thanks for your honest review and I'll download opera to fix that problems:

p.s.
    so you tell me to do not use paul irish? If so what I can use?

thanks

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mydiscogr View Post
    p.s.
    so you tell me to do not use paul irish? If so what I can use?
    From what you are doing there in terms of content on the page, there is NOTHING that warrants any form of browser sniffing, or extra markup. Likewise there's no real reason for HTML 5, the javascripted shims, or the dozen other oddball bits of bloat. If you need to target the HTML tag for no javascript, versions of browsers, then need IE conditionals in the MARKUP, then need the silly X-UA-Compatible meta, and THEN need a javascript shiv just to make the page work...

Well... it's an indicator something is horrifically wrong with your scripts and markup.

Though to be honest, I'm stuck asking "what markup?" or more specifically "what content?"

I mean, from the endless pointless tag bloat, to the nonsensical run-on "HomeAbout" (which is what having no space and no block-level tags between those anchors means), to the pointless (and head scratching) nofollow on the "about" link, total lack of scripting off fallbacks, use of scripting in one of those "page loads are evil" noodle-doodle nonsense...

There's nothing even worth saving there. At the very least make it an ACTUAL form with a submit instead of playing all the goofy "scripting for nothing" nonsense.

I mean, if I was writing the same page, I'd neuter it down to:
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html
    	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    	lang="en"
    	xml:lang="en"
    ><head>

<meta
    	http-equiv="Content-Type"
    	content="text/html; charset=utf-8"
    />

<meta
    	name="description"
    	content="Free site analysis and information extraction"
    />

<meta
    	name="keywords"
    	content="webmaster,tool,designer,analysis,info,information,javascript,css"
    />

<meta
    	name="viewport"
    	content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0;"
    />

<link
    	type="text/css"
    	rel="stylesheet"
    	href="/theme/screen.css"
    	media="screen,projection,tv"
    />

<link
    	rel="shortcut icon"
    	href="/favicon.ico"
    />

<title>
    	webmaster toolbox  - tool collection for webmasters
    </title>

</head><body>

<div id="heightWrapper">

<ul id="mainMenu">
    		<li><a href="/">Home</a></li>
    		<li><a href="/about/">About</a></li>
    	</ul>

<h1>
    		Webmaster Toolbox
    	</h1>

<p class="informative">
    		Tools for webmasters and web designers, site analysis and website info, javascript and css beautifier
    	</p>  

<hr />

<form action="/analyze" method="get" id="analyze">
    		<fieldset>
    			<label for="analyzeURL">
    				insert url or web page for analyse: http://www.address.com
    			</label>
    			<input type="text" id="analyzeURL" name="url" />
    			<input type="submit" class="submit" value="Start" />
    		</fieldset>
    	</form>

<!-- #heightWrapper --></div>

<hr />

<div id="footer">
    	<a href="/policy/" rel="nofollow">policy</a>
    <!-- #footer --></div>

</body></html>
    Which is about a third the markup, and then use a normal form submit; You're wasting time on javascript/ajax nonsense for no good reason, and it's actually COSTING bandwidth as a result.

Well, along with all the other goofy slow scripting for nothing. You aren't doing anything that warrants the presence of javascript in the first place; much less AJAX which turns it into a slow broken inaccessible mess. You practice minimalist semantic markup, with separation of presentation from content, the difference in bandwidth use of massive scripting for AJAX and other trickery vs. a simple normal page-load often favors the classic site building approach.

Laughable since AJAX and it's kine are sold to the suits and the ignorant as "saving bandwidth".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really really thanks for your help, this is my first works as you can see, I'm a c#/c++/python programmer, so I have little experience about web, and I have a book about html5, but you clearly speaks is from your experience, so I should stay away from harvard/Mit geek face, which maybe want only sell me something, thanks

Non-Member bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mydiscogr View Post
    I'm a c#/c++/python programmer
    That explains a lot. When I started doing websites a little over a decade ago I started out with a programming background as well -- Twenty or so years of programming at the time -- from ASM to ZPL. As such I WANTED client side to work like everything else I was writing, and dived for the javascript as if it was the best thing ever.

Then found out that when it comes to accessibility, doing an entire site in what was called DHMTL at the time (a term that's fallen into disuse) was a giant steaming pile. Took me another two or three years to come to terms with the various mental hurdles involved in building a page in a manner that's useful to as many people as possible, costs as little to host as possible, and delivers content first.

That's something people with programming or art backgrounds often have trouble grasping; I know I did at first since I came from BOTH. The bitter pill to swallow is the majority of visitors go to websites for the content, NOT for the goofy javascript animations and tricks, NOT for the goofy graphics hung around the content, but the CONTENT... and content means plain text marked up semantically -- with very rare exceptions (image or video galleries).

I actually pity people trying to start out right now -- IMHO you have no business learning HTML 5 until you grasp 4 STRICT and concepts like semantic markup and separation of presentation from content -- of course once you grasp those you end up looking at HTML 5, scratching your head and going "and what exactly is the point of this?"

Which often seems to be what you said -- it's something new and shiney they can use to put new editions of books on shelves and get bums in seats at lectures; HTML 5 certainly has nothing to do with writing cleaner more efficient and accessible websites.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just buy xhtml book, I'll follow your advices, because you have a background of programmer, and you have a clean vision, althought to me is seems more logic to learn html5, I start to learn xhtml (right?), and you have right! CONTENT!CONTENT!CONTENT! next time I made a fix update for server side code and other fixes, then "update layout", this is my first "serious site" and I hope to learn more in future.

Thanks Again

p.s. what do you think about reset css "reset.css"??

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest, if the goal is to present the site in English, get a native English speaker to check over and correct your copy for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the website first came up I was waiting for the rest of it to load (thinking there was a problem). Then I realized that what I was seeing was the whole page. There is way too much white space. To me, it made it look unfinished. The logo is just to plain and simple; looking like it came from a template for novice website builders. I think you need something that draws attention and is a bit more polished and professional looking.

And, at first glance, I was quite sure what the purpose of the website was. The sentence "Tools for webmasters and web designers, site analysis and website info, javascript and css beautifier" is way too small and is lost on the page. Someone should be able to know right away what this site is for.

I also found the social media buttons on the right very distracting, and out of place. Don't know if you really need all of them. If you do use them all or some I would suggest a less prominent placement on the Home page.

I clicked on your "About" link and you don't really give much information. I'd like to know what your credentials are in regards to web design and why you think I should use your site instead of others like it out there.

I believe you need to find a more professional look, feel and approach to the site. But mine is just one opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you also need to make something that would tell web owners some recommendations ... it would be usefull
    Submit your URL for free at Open Directory www.livewebmap.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really thanks for review could you show me a site with professional look, which I can get inspired ?

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    @mydiscogr

really thanks for review could you show me a site with professional look, which I can get inspired ?

http://www.sitepoint.com/
    Last edited by John_Betong; May 22, 2012 at 23:54. Reason: spelling: not my fortay :)
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

Be sure to congratulate Wolfshade on earning Member of the Month for August 2014

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rickibarnes View Post
    I would suggest, if the goal is to present the site in English, get a native English speaker to check over and correct your copy for you.
    Ops where I'm wrong? R U English?