User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please have a look at my Irish Gift website designs

Hey there, I'm holding a contest to redesign my website. (This is how the site looks at the moment: www.traditionalirishgifts.com)

I've a bunch of entries in and I'd really like some constructive opinions on what looks best and what works best.

I should point out that the designers haven't been completely sticking to the brief and there should be 6 Guinness related categories (and images) plus another 16 Categories (and images) which I'll need to add in when I've chosen the style.

I want the site to look like it's been professionally designed and not just some dopey website thrown together by someone in the back office of a dodgy gift store who's attempting to learn some html

If possible please put yourself in the position of someone who is looking to buy either some Guinness related merchandise, an Irishy novelty gift or some fancy Aran sweater and please give me your critique of the following.

Entries can be seen here: http://www.traditionalirishgifts.com/designcontest.php
    Last edited by TechnoBear; May 10, 2012 at 06:29. Reason: Clarifying links

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the last one (14) most. It is the only one that is really professional among the designs. It has a consistent style, nice fonts, uses contrast well to emphasize/de-emphasize certain elements. It is not afraid to use whitespace. The "search by price range" feature is obvious and easy to use. Best sellers are emphasized well enough but not too much (like, for example, in 12). The cart (which is the most important feature of an e-commerce site) looks very easy to use.

To be honest, all the other designs are rather unprofessional both aesthetically and from a usability/marketing point of view.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like #2 and #8 (although I notice they have some typos and punctuation errors). I like #14, too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Your site is really coming along. To me, it doesn't look like it was thrown together in a night (for sure), however, it doesn't look like you spent thousands on it (do you want this look?)

Here are some of my thoughts:

* Instead of the green background, can you have a green irish-themed, sort of washed out/transparent repeating designs? You can find this cheap online, custom made, probably $50 price range on free lancer sites or sitepoint
    * I would push the log in to the top right (small, minor detail, but keep it separate from the other links) - do you have a lot of repeat customers? What makes a user "log in"? Have you used Google Analytics to check the path of users on your site, do they log in?
    * On your homepage, you have a giant thumbnail list of images, which is great! But mixed in there are categories, and individual products. I would keep these separate. You don't want to confuse your potential customers. The average time a new visitor spends on a new site is (not known for sure), 30 seconds to make a judgement?
    * How can I trust my secure credit card, etc., numbers on your site? Do you accept credit cards? Are you verisign (or cheaper competitor does the trick, too)...have some sort of images like these on your footer
    * At the bottom "we're here to help", i like this!! But theres no contact us, phone number, or e-mail listed in there either. How are you there to help?

Hope this helps,
    MRT

SitePoint Enthusiast Mediaplay1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good! the only issue I see is a good amount of empty space in the upper right corner of each page that needs a picture or some text for a filler. The widgets cause the page to load very slowly but nothing can be done there, slow loading does effect Google search results a bit leaving you a little further in the back pages unless you have much quality content with great SEO. You have a nice store front going and the only thing you are missing is some good Irish tea for sale. I wish you the best of luck with your niche website!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I wish I could edit my first post.

THE LINK TO FOLLOW IS THE 2nd ONE!!!!!!!!!

The 1st link is a link to the site as it is now - IE the site we're getting rid of.

PLEASE look at the 2nd link and let me have opinions

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barricades View Post
    God I wish I could edit my first post.
    Hopefully, I've helped there.

SitePoint Enthusiast Mediaplay1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I looked at the wrong link before, Great idea with all the models ! I think #14 is the best and #13 is good but a little dark, Im sure you have the secure order feature going in place. Great job so far, I am not a website master but if I was a general shopper looking for Irish gifts I could stay and browse #13 for awhile as it is attractive