SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's something I read yesterday, and thought it would be appropriate to share with you here. Google recommends "responsive design" for mobiles:

https://developers.google.com/webmas...rtphone-sites/

What's somewhat amusing and highly ironic is that the very site which makes this recommendation ISN'T actually using any "responsive" techniques. Go figure.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lutrov View Post
    What's somewhat amusing and highly ironic is that the very site which makes this recommendation ISN'T actually using any "responsive" techniques. Go figure.
    Yes, it's sad that in big companies, the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While mobile websites are becoming a fad, made so by the comeback of the "high bandwidth version"/"low bandwidth version" concept, increasingly returning to the websites these days (some of them never abandoned the concept, others are now returning to it, while others are just now considering it), it seems media queries/responsive web design are here to stay.

Let's remember us about Youtube Feather, Facebook Zero and Lite.

The only ones that could potentially be TKO'ed by this course of action are those that relied on design to hide their content problem. Hence, those that had badly planned the content and thought that CSS was going to save them. Those that took responsive web design (CSS) for mobile web sites (content).

RESS: Responsive Design + Server Side Components, clears the air up. Same content for all users, at a different price. Like going to the market and getting the same stuff as the other customer, only you'd pay what you can afford. Unnatural, for some, I know. But it feels so damn good to be a customer in that market.

Oh, and remember, always provide a Pause button for your front page slideshow!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely it is! Few days back when I was checking the data from reliable source people are using frequently different devices for browsing internet. For this purpose responsive design is very necessary. It is also observed now mostly people are using smart devices for web transaction and each time people are not comfortable with making mobile websites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now day responsive design trend...

list of tips for best responsive design http://www.netmagazine.com/features/...ive-web-design

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, Responsive web design is necessary for 360 degree marketing. You can target each physical device by mean of internet capable. By approaching responsive web ideas you have 40% more visitors then they don't use responsive websites.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipprosys View Post
    By approaching responsive web ideas you have 40% more visitors then they don't use responsive websites.
    That's quite a claim. Where did you find that figure? Do you have any details to back it up?

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipprosys View Post
    By approaching responsive web ideas you have 40% more visitors then they don't use responsive websites.
    As mentioned, that seems a bit of a wild claim. What is much more important—and much more often ignored—is information architecture, usability and accessibility.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys have a look on current trends! Most of us use different devices to browse the web, Don't we? What will happen if we can't access any website through other devices, will not I lose either business or a visitor? Also its not a good practice that a website may appear different through different devices. Probably it has also negative impact on credibility of website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Important? Yes.

Necessary? No.

In all the honesty, if you are going to hire a designer for it (and your site isn't targeted to tablet users), just get a normal website with a mobile version. It will save you money and your designer precious time.

(Trust me, I'm an engineer.)

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipturner View Post
    Guys have a look on current trends! Most of us use different devices to browse the web, Don't we? What will happen if we can't access any website through other devices, will not I lose either business or a visitor? Also its not a good practice that a website may appear different through different devices. Probably it has also negative impact on credibility of website.
    Yes, lots of people access the web on a variety of mobile devices. Including me right now. And I expect to be able to use pretty much any website on my phone. That still doesn't say anything about whether responsive design is important. A simple mobile.css is one option. Allowing the mobile browser to handle the page in whatever way it sees fit is another option. A completely separate mobile site works as well. Sure, you can use responsive design if that is what you think works best on your site, but there are other ways of making your site accessible to mobiles.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lutrov View Post
    It's not enough just to have a "responsive" design. User goals are different with mobile devices compared to desktop computers. Not only should the layout be different for a smartphone, but the specifics of the content itself should be different too. Think about what people use a smartphone for on the web. Think about a much smaller screen area. Do you really want to present exactly the same content as you do for desktop devices?

As a consumer, I don't care whether your site is "responsive". I don't go to your site to admire your design, I purely go there because of your content. I want a site optimised for speed. I want text that I can read without zooming, "pinching" or much scrolling. I want less text. I only want to get stuff done on your site and then move on to more important things in their life.
    Are you saying that "desktop users have too much time on their hands so you can put more irrelevant stuff on your desktop version just in case". No, you cant.
    If your web-site is used to get the "job done", it shouldnt offer people to read wall of text in the first place. Desktop or ipad.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dy.ro View Post
    Important? Yes.

Necessary? No.

In all the honesty, if you are going to hire a designer for it (and your site isn't targeted to tablet users), just get a normal website with a mobile version. It will save you money and your designer precious time.

(Trust me, I'm an engineer.)
    What do you mean with a site not targeted to tablet users? What sites could possibly not be tageted to users browsing with tablets?
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    What do you mean with a site not targeted to tablet users? What sites could possibly not be tageted to users browsing with tablets?
    I meant sites created specifically for tablet users. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dy.ro View Post
    I meant sites created specifically for tablet users. Sorry if I confused anyone.
    Thanks for clariyfing. I guess I've never seen a site specifically targeted to an audience using tablets.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Thanks for clariyfing. I guess I've never seen a site specifically targeted to an audience using tablets.
    Gmail for example created an iPad friendly interface when the iPad was first released.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't implement it in my sites yet, since most devices are already developed enough to display most sites right. I am thinking about learning how to do it at least, so that my clients, if they want such designs, can benefit from them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the exchanges are most interesting particularly the issue of bandwidth limitations with mobile devices. I own a cheap smartphone myself and know only to well that despite what my provider tells me I actually get better speed out of dial-up connection on a payphone in my area. However the overall concept of one template fits all devices does have some practical appeal but good implementation will be crucial. Sure you could throw a design onto a stock boilerplate, it'll work and the client will be happy.. but it wont perform brilliantly for all mobile users and I can imagine that problem spawning a whole new subset of SEO gurus.
    Lovelogic.net Personal Projects Pit - Spammers welcome

Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogo7 View Post
    I can imagine that problem spawning a whole new subset of SEO gurus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keshawn View Post
    I cannot understand this! what is the new subset of SEO?
    I'm not so sure it's a big SEO issue, though I'm happy to be proved wrong. It might rather spawn a whole lot of front end design / usability jobs, though.