SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's a brain killer for you.

Copyright is something we are all familiar with. and i'm sure we'll all agree on the following:

1. copyright pertains to written works only.
    2. something is in essence copyrighted as soon as it's put to paper.

So who owns the copyright to a chat session? is the person who starts the chat, the person who hosts the chat, or to each individual?

Consider not only these forums but also the following:

IM clients
    IRC Clients
    other chat software

So let the games begin.........

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    technically chat isnt on paper..soo......

I would say noone owns copyright on a chat because normally in chat everyone uses everyday common words which cannot be copyrighted. If it did come down to finding out the copyright the combination of words would belong to each users. IE everything I say, the way that I said it, in a chat, would rightfully belong to me.

I think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think I would have to agree with most of what RaviJP said. Except that I don't think anything said in a chat session can be copywrited. I think that it is just like words, you can't really copywrite something you say. I believe it has to be on paper. I believe that is how it works, or atleast that is what I am guessing.

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyright pertains to any sort of works (written, sound recordings, paintings, etc... things that can be copied) not just written words.

Legally something is copyrighted to you the moment you create it unless you either explicitly place it in the public domain, agree to transfer the copyright to a third party, or in certain situations where the implication is that your works are in the public domain (Usenet is considered by many to be such a place, others' argue that the archival aspect of usenet constitutes fair use only and that original copyright still belong to the original poster. I guess that will be up to the courts to decide).

I would say that comments made in chat rooms are copyrighted by the poster unless there is an implicit or explicit agreement or statement to the contrary.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do chat sysop'ing over at Geocities before they bombed and was bought by Yahoo

I would agree with all of the views above, and would suggest that it's nigh impossible to claim ownership over all the chatting done in a chat room, unless you've specifically stated in a TOS/AUP that all words are ownership and are no longer in the public domain, et. al. If enough people knew about this, they'd just go somewhere else where there's no such restrictions and chat to their delight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that comments made in chat rooms are copyrighted by the poster unless there is an implicit or explicit agreement or statement to the contrary.
    As an example of this, 3D Realms (makers of Duke Nukem) state that on their forums any ideas posted automatically become their intellectual property.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my forums I have a statement that all posts are in the public domain unless the author includes a copyright notice of some sort.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if 1 is true, which I believe it is, then chat would be included, since people are writing things. My guesture is that the things said in a chat room, IM conversation, etc. are owned by the owner of the program/site.

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting that we are on the topic of copyright...

I refer to the email address on the contact page of SiteRoute, the owner of which is RaviJP.

http://www.siteroute.com/contact.php

It leaves me wondering, was this perhaps a Freudian slip?

mmmm... interesting isn't it?
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...hmmm...makes ya wonder how many ad inquirys they get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... interesting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im sure you know why I did that Mark, after the trouble Matt M was giving me. He truly believes we copied SitePoints PHP coding from your servers (how, I thought it was impossible?) Plus I have heard from people who have seen your coding that it isn't all that . Our coding is also alot more complex...

Sorry, that truly is embarassing, but its been fixed now. And to be honest with you SitePoint/SiteRoute has been on my mind alot, we try to differ alot from what you do...and I don't think we're anything alike.

Sorry about that
    Ravi

PS - I've very flattered that you took the time to look around the site and see how different it is.

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting thing to do on purpose - redirecting your advertising email address to SitePoint... I wish more sites would do that for us ;-)

Anyway, I'd love to write more, but I'm too busy signing up all those advertisers you sent us ;-) Thanks for that!

Good luck with it anyway, it looks like you've worked really hard to get it to this point.

Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks and pass on a hi to all the advertisers we sent your way

Ravi

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I want to know is where that neat looking atom graphic under your "projects" came from, RaviJP. never saw your site before now, looks good.

What was the topic? er..Copyright. yeah!

Didn't Bill Clinton pass a law that any electronic documents could be construed as copyrighted/legal evidence? That meaning that you didnt have to actually have a "signed" contract anymore. If there was an email agreement to deliver a product or service, and it was not delivered, then one could start a lawsuit.

I dont think you could hold a copyright over a chat log. However, if you print it, seal it, and resend it to yourself, you would have a "poor man's patent" on it.

Interesting Question!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I find out I'll post Sparkie

Rav