SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Where can I find info on how to make or create the code for the "text" type of navigation I see on SitePoint and many other Web sites.

For example, I am speaking of the one that looks like this,
    Home / Living Room / Furniture / Tables

Is this a "Cut & Paste" script??

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can't be done with HTML unless you write it in every page. You'd need a database (usually MySQL) and use PHP or a similar language.

I have seen a Javascript that will do the trick, but I wouldn't use that because it might not be reliable.

Maybe someone has made a CGI script, but I really really doubt it is possible.

Move on to a MySQL database!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are breadcrumb scripts available in PERL that parse your directory structure and show it on the screen. Check out script indexes such as CGI Resource Index/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he is looking for something fantstic or script related. Something more along the lines of:

<FONT SIZE="1" FACE="arial">
    <A HREF="home.html">&nbsp;&nbsp;HOME&nbsp;&nbsp;</A>|<A HREF="livingroom.html">&nbsp;&nbsp;LIVING ROOM&nbsp;&nbsp;</A>|<A HREF="furniture.html">&nbsp;&nbsp;FURNITURE&nbsp;&nbsp;</A>|<A HREF="tables.html">&nbsp;&nbsp;TABLES&nbsp;&nbsp;</A></FONT>

Note: You can put this inside a table cell to have a colored background. This may not be what he is looking for, but I think it is.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That certainly could be done but the manual labor involved makes me shudder. I would much rather use a script that can be called from each page that generates it dynamically based up either directory structure or categories in a database.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Matt Kaufman (a member on these forums) made a breadcrumb script which took the current URL and split it up so that if you were browsing (example) /articles/promotion/fourth-dimensional.htm then it would show:

articles > promotion > fourth-dimensional

If that's what you'd like then I'm sure he would give it to you. It's in PHP and about 20 or so lines.