Threaded View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ranking drop, what am I doing wrong?

Hey guys,

I originally posted this in another forum, but TechnoBear told me this is the appropriate one.

I'm really confused and I hope the forum experts can help me figure out what's going on. My site <snip/> recently been hit with a huge drop of ranking of my Google results position and I have no idea why. Originally I thought this is a result of a penalty, but after submitting a reconsideration request, Google replied that there's no manual penalty for my site.

Searches like "price drop alerts" or "shopping comparison alerts" used to return my homepage as one of the top 3 results. Now I'm pretty much not there for these searches and even searches like "idealchooser price drop alerts" returns my site at the 5th page and even that isn't my homepage. The rest are other mentions of my site in different directories, reviews, etc.

The only changes that happened around the time of this huge drop are:

1. I recently added many (few thousands) local search results pages linkable from my site, accessed from the homepage "Categories" menu item (top right). Could this somehow broke something?

2. And of course Penguin (Google's latest algorithm update) was released, could this be the reason?

Any idea why these things would drop my ranking? Anything else you can think of that I'm doing wrong?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, as I'm far from a search results expert and would be really happy to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mittineague; May 7, 2012 at 22:05. Reason: removing unnecessary link