User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about Matt Wright's formmail.pl

I've installed this on a site and it's working fine now. Only thing is, I installed it because I thought it would be more secure than using, say, a FrontPage generated form that places the target email in the HTML code. I thought that using this cgi script, a visitor wouldn't be able to see where the form is going. Is there another way to have a form on my site and prevent the user from seeing where it's going?

Also, how is it that I can upload the formmail.pl file to my server without it corrupting. It was initially added by admins at my host, I tried to download, modify it and upload it, and it would no longer work. I only changed HTML code and not part of the cgi code.

Any clues on these questions?
    TIA.
    tigrvision

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is an anoyance of Matt's formmail script that it still requires you to place the recipient address in the form. I am sure it would be very easy to alter the script to be able to override the posted form variable with one hard coded into the script - but as I am not a perl programmer I cannot offer to do this.

Also, in which mode did you ftp the file to your server? ASCII or binary. You should probably be using ASCII.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The newest replacement for Matt's formmail does what you want. Search for nms-formmail or go to our support section of our website--we have a copy for downloading there.

Basically it is a better version of formmail and Matt endorses it. When you install nmi-formmail there is an option to use aliases for your email address. So on the form on your site you will have a hidden code like email=mongoose. When the nms-script is run it matches up mongoose to the email address in the script itself so no one will see where the script/output is going. Because no sees the script itself your email address is hidden. The most they can see is the word mongoose, which doesn't mean a thing.
    Richard @ www.e3servers.com
    Multiple Domain Hosting & Web Hosting (Unlimited Domains)
    Reseller Hosting -- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee