SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ScrewThePlanet website review

Hi,
    currently building this website ScrewThePlanet.co.uk and would appreciate your thoughts.
    Just to say, despite appearances this site is not anti-environmentalist, it is attempting to provoke people to think for themselves and not to accept what they are told as gospel

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman View Post
    despite appearances this site is not anti-environmentalist
    You probably need to clarify that better on the site itself, as it gives the opposite impression. IMHO, it's better to provide reasoned argument and evidence to "provoke people to think for themselves". The kind of language you use is very colored and biased, and doesn't help the argument at all. Terms like "moaners", "eco-freaks" and "yoghurt-knitters" is about as biased and red necked as you can get.

From a design point of view, the pages are quite broken. The left sidebar sits down below everything else for me, and as I resize the viewport, things fall all over the place, so I suspect you've designed this in a single window without checking what happens on larger and smaller viewports. (Things like that are easily fixed, though.)
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    thanks for the quick reply.
    I posted a note about the purpose of the website at the bottom of each main section page http://screwtheplanet.co.uk/screw-the-planet-at-home/ just above the 'comments' box earlier so you may have visited before I did this.
    I'll look at the design issues, thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! I like everything except for the black color of your slogan "Stuff the environment & have some fun", which is on a dark grey background. A bit hard to read, that's all.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, but here are some of the things I noticed, and only my opinion.

* the left side bar jumps around if I resize my window. Doesn't seem to do the right thing.
    * the sub-menu items on the navigation bar seem too small to me.
    * on the bottom left, one of your titles "CLIMATE CHANGE, ENVIRONMENT, GREEN ISSUES,GLOBAL WARMING,ECOSYSTEM,WASTE,RECYCLING,DEFORESTATION,FOSSIL FUELS" overflows into the part of the main content column.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Content: First I thought that your site has awesome content, but that was just based on your review of your site. When I read your content I didn't like it so much. I am quite bored all that "you should do this and that, because global warming will kill everyone"-stuff and I was hoping that your site would say something like "global warming isn't even true" or something like that. Proofs that you don't need to do all those hippie stuff to save the planet. So I was quite disappointed to see that your site was basically just the same as hippies sites. People can't take your content seriously, they more likely think that this is just humor and real message is "save the world". I don't think anyone would do everything just to destroy the world. I would expecting things like "Changing your boiler to a new one can save environment, but company thats making that boiler will destroy environment more than you using your old one". Of course this is just what I expect to read, so don't change subject because of me. Maybe you just should tell that your site is about how people can destroy their environment most easily. I think that currently that site doesn't provoke people to think for themselves.

Design: You site didn't look good on my normal resolution (1024x768), but it was better on 1440x900. I am not sure what is most common resolution nowadays, so maybe it is okay to design site so that people should use better resolutions. You should use more spaces. There is a awfully long text "warming,ecosystem,waste,recycling,deforestation,fossil" which breaks design because there isn't spaces. I liked your color scheme. Also loved that there were some color spot's like social media things and link color.