SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is better? Most have and use ICQ, but others feel strongly bad things about it, while they favor AIM.

ICQ is the #1 messaging services, IMO. Because:

1. ICQ's big advantage over AIM is that when you receive messages, they sit in the system tray. AIM, on the other hand, can pop up dozens of windows in the middle of your screen if several are messaging you at the same time. When you are trying to do something, this is REALLY annoying. ICQ basically isn't as intrusive.

2. ICQ's searches are more relevant. If I type in someone's name in the AIM member directory, it gives me dozens of inrelevant results. ICQ doesn't.

3. ICQ is mostly (if not completely) ad-free. AIM is clogged with two different ads on the main buddy list.

Meanwhile, MSN is still the "third" choice. It isn't as popular as its competitors, but it is still very nice. It's not in the class of ICQ or AIM, though.

What does everyone else think?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSN AIM is the best IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even notice any of the ads really...that makes no difference to me. I like MSN because it has some nice little perks and a lot of the people I talk to use it. Searches and such are something I don't use anyway...

With ICQ, I dislike having a giant number as my "username", the bulky interface and slow loading time, and the learning curve. An IM program shouldn't really have a learning curve, but ICQ was a little confusing at first for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't notice AIM's ads either, really, but they still take up space.

I'll admit ICQ has a "learning curve" for newbies, but I like something like that. It simply appeals to me. I'd take features over simplicity nearly anyday.

Regarding ICQ's giant number, I don't find that a problem. Use ICQ for a while and you'll know it before you even realize it. If you can remember your phone number, you can remember your ICQ number...

People complain that ICQ is bulky and slow loading? How is this? It doesn't cause a problem to me at all.

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I favor MSN Messenger as well, and NOT because it is provided by MSN. IMO the features and interface are superior to the other two, at least for my own needs.

AIM is alright but I dislike the way it is set up, and I am not to keen of AOL either.

ICQ... there is a lot to say but most of it has been said on earlier threads. It is bulkier than either of the other two, and consumes more precious system resources. It's not a bad program, but it could definitely be improved. Plus, I am cautious of any AOL-owned program.

They all have their downsides, but overall they all serve their intended purposes. Whatever works best for you, go with it.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ICQ 'cause almost everyone uses it. The long numbers don't bother me, especially when mine is something easy to remember like 45549000.

I like AIM second best because all my friends use it, but I don't like it because it's made by AOL

Odigo is my favorite because it works with ICQ, AIM IM, and Y! IM without having to have all three open. The user interface looks pretty decent also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I prefer MSN Messanger, because of the following things.

- Much faster then ICQ.
    - I think MSN Messanger just seems overall smoother then AIM or ICQ (in the looks and in sending messages).
    - No numbers to remember and it works with my Hotmail account. It notifies as soon as I recieve a new message.
    - You can have multiple people in one conversation, unlike AIM, but I am not sure about ICQ though.
    - In the new version of MSN, a very small box will popup in the corner when someone on your buddy list signs on. I like that a lot better then ICQ, because you just hear a sound when someone logs on and you have to open up the program to see who came on.

I don't really love Microsoft, so that has nothing to do with my opinion.

I don't really hate ICQ, I just don't like it that much. I like it better then AIM though.

Cya,

Chris Roane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSN doesn't have the features ICQ has, it doesn't have the users, and there is nothing really helpful about it, unless you use a Hotmail account (which I don't). It's a lot better than Yahoo!, though. A lot better.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the simplicity MSN IM has to offer. It requires very little RAM to use. ICQ is bloated and crams a lot of useless junk on the screen.

Still, ICQ has more features than all other IM tools, and is most widely used.

AIM is AOL Junk. I hate the interface, too newbieish

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL... My brother just used M&M yesterday for the first time, but every time he tries to shut down the program, he gets an error saying that MSN IM has made an illegal operation

I prefer ICQ over all IM I've seen/tried (ICQ, AIM and M&M) since it's the only one that seems to be REALLY dedicated to IM: AIM and M&M looks like an ugly white window with some text and (ugly) pics in it.

I HATE simplicity: I want to configure things, play with the program and optimize it for my needs. With AIM and M&M this is impossible.

BTW ICQ has two modes: Simple and Advanced, so if you're to much an ICQ-novice, switch to Simple mode (which is the default mode). In Simple mode, it's almost as simple as AIM and M&M.

For when I'm in Linux, I use LICQ, an ICQ clone. This program is better than the origional ICQ IMHO.

I'm not sure why, but programs that can't be configured the way I want and look... simple, are not for me. They only give me the creeps
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elledan, that "Illegal Operation" problem your brother had has nothing to do with the program. It has to do with your system. I actually had that same error come up for me when I opened Cute FTP, but after I formatted my hard drive, the problem disapeared.

The only reason I want to use an IM service is so that I can communicate with people online and that is it. I don't care about customization because I don't have time trying to customize an IM program. Yeah ICQ might have the most features, but I think MSN IM does its basic job the best. And as for looks, I think MSN IM wins. That probably is because I use it the most out of any IM program, though.

There is one thing that ICQ has that no other IM program has, and that is popularity. I use ICQ for one reason and that is because a lot of people I know use it.

Cya,

Chris Roane

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you nailed it, wsresource. ICQ is simply the most populair and most used IM on earth. It's #1 download at Download.com for I don't know how many months/years...

It will take at least 10 years for M&M and AIM to 'take over' 50% of the ICQ users.

It's not coincidence that the most asked question on IRC and in chatboxes is: "What's your ICQ?"
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICQ is the most common...in my opinion that's the only reason it's still out there; it got in early. Kudos to their foresight, but I dislike their program.

Simplicity and complexity can be vague words: yes, ICQ offers some more flexibility, but just because AIM or MSN are simple and easy to boot up and use quickly, it doesn't mean they are lacking in features. An IM program ought to be small in size, download quickly, and NOT be hard to figure out the first time through...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, I used ICQ for a couple of years when it first came out. It was the first one that I ever remember people suggested to download. After a couple of years and 350 friends later I decided ICQ was not for me. I stopped using it for a while and stuck to AIM, but I started using it again, somewhat.

Ravi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me which ones to use depends on the friends i have on each one. The people i talk to make it worth while not the app. I use AOL IM and ICQ I used to use Msn but there was no real need. I only have one person on my AOL IM buddy list and thats the way i wanna keep it. I still use AOL IM more than ICQ smiply because this person is a better freind that any one i have on icq. I have a very big icq list though .
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone use the all-in-one odigo ? I tried it once, was a bit busy, confused, and haven't started it up since, but may again when I have time. Good idea at least. Not sure if it supports MSM, but I seem to think it does. Hmmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally i do not use any of them i use yahoo instant messanger. Which i think is the best out of them all to be honest (When it decides to stay connected lol).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chicken
    Does anyone use the all-in-one odigo ? I tried it once, was a bit busy, confused, and haven't started it up since, but may again when I have time. Good idea at least. Not sure if it supports MSM, but I seem to think it does. Hmmmm.
    I've heard of Odigo, but not really interested in using it yet. Nothing seems to great about it.

Originally posted by Technics
    Personally i do not use any of them i use yahoo instant messanger. Which i think is the best out of them all to be honest (When it decides to stay connected lol).
    I would hope we can all agree Yahoo! Messenger is completely horrible. You guys talk about ICQ being so bloated and big, Yahoo! is the one that is, IMO. It crashes more than any of my other messengers and the little smiley faces are corny.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like MSN the best, and if I'm ever chatting, that's where you'd have the best luck finding me. ICQ, since its release, has added and bulked up and bloated itself to where its no longer just an Instant Messenger. It tries to be everything, which is just needless and confusing.

MSN IM does what I want it to, and doesn't throw in the cutesy gibberish. I tried AIM once, and after getting about a million windows open at once from people I didnt know, I decided that it was not for me

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like ICQ, been using it for a while. Someone made it a point earlier: you remember your phone number, so you can remember your icq number. I give mine out as often as I do my phone number.

I just dont trust AOL, so I dont use AIM.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Odigo, like I said, because you don't have to have 3 different IM programs open at once. Odigo works with all three (ICQ, AIM, Y!)...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like ICQ the best just because it's simple. Yeah I know people are going to say it's bloated or loaded with features, but once you've set it up it's no problem. I set it to run on startup and whenever I get an event (msg, authorization request, etc.) it just pops up and I don't ever have to use the app itself.

Also the fact that everyone has ICQ...

When I'm under Linux, well, LICQ is better than ICQ (the software) itself. Mirabilis/AOL oughta just license the LICQ code and port it..