SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Please review my blog network. :)

Hello,
    Great to all Sitepoint's best coders and designers..

I've built a weblog network, for 2 months.
    You can review the site here: http://goo.gl/v0dQr

Basically I am not a designer or coder, or neither a guy with programming background. So, please sorry me if the site is not on the level to be reviewed here.
    Please give us a rating from 1 to 10 from all sides, such as: design, idea, seo, content, etc.

Big thanks.

Best Regards,
    Andhie - Knoleggs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I go through it...

* love the name.
    * content looks good from a few posts I looked at.
    * why use the sub-domains vs categories? just curious what your logic is here.
    * clicked on the guest blogging thing, didn't find any info about it... see -> https://skitch.com/oscarg/87abg/tips...stantly-sports
    * credibility on the "experts" these are pretty clear to me (they appear at least) to be made up and that's fine I think, but they're too obvious I think. just a thought.
    * when you're on main page there's a "no categories" text. should be removed IMO. css -> display:none;
    * cool logo.

Overall I think it's a great site so far. How are you doing on rankings?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ziggy, thanks for a great feedback.
    The site is in beta, and I'm really sure you will see more navigational problems.
    But, I will fix them soon.
    About the guest blog, I plan to create separated subdomain, guest-blogging-wanted.domain.com
    but it used to be a form only, to send the articles, contact, email, etc.
    I plan to make separated niche here, via subdomain.

I don't know about the ranking, but so far, most of the articles are on page 2, only few of them on page 1. Never on first rank. May be I need a good writer, and more contents.

Any ideas to improve the site ziggy?

Best Regards,
    Andhie.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow -for someone without any background in webdesign I think you've done a great job!
    From a user perspective I find your site clean, tidy, easy to read and navigate. The changing "Knoleggs" logo in the top left hand corner looks pretty cool. I suppose it's not done for all categories yet, but did notice that the letter "o" changed to some books when selecting the "Studying and school" category as well as the title next to the egg -very nice! I do have some minor comments on how you can improve it though:
    • "O" letter: different categories will obviously have different shaped logos, but this might make it hard for people to understand that it's an "o" there. I suggest either to make the category icons smaller so they can fit inside the "o" (might be hard to make them so small and still be understandable) or better yet -use the egg itself as the "o", but make it smaller of course
    • Category name: showing the name of the category to the right of the egg is cool, but you should remove the "no categories" from the main page as it looks unprofessional
    • Navigation: I don't like the small text navigation below "Knoleggs". It makes this area look too crowded and busy, and I'm not sure everybody understands that it's actually used for navigating. I believe many people are used to clicking on a page's logo to get to the main page, so how about you allow clicking on the "Knoleggs"? I'd also look into adding a simple form of navigation such as some tabs in the header area somewhere (next to the search area?). I understand that the main navigation is actually done by clicking on the "list of experts" categories so there won't really be any need for anything else than a single "Home" button which isn't much, but if you consider adding an "About" section and "Contact" that would be a row of 3 buttons at least...
    • "Knoleggs" background: I don't like the semi-transparent light gray background which looks like it covers the egg. It looks like a mistake. Either put the egg on top of it or do that and also change the background color in that area.
    • Sign up: The text-input area next to the "Sign up" button on the left bottom side -it's not obvious what to input here. I suppose it's a newsletter so you input your email address. "Free knowledge Knowledge!" isn't enough (shouldn't that be "Free Knoleggs Knowledge" by the way?. I suggest you add a brief explanation of what it is and that people should enter their email address.

Other than that I think it looks and functions pretty well

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering about the sub-domains and how that's doing because if it were me, I would have setup all the different sections as a category or folder under the top-level domain, as in:

example.com/category

vs what you have:

category.example.com/

It just makes more sense to me, but maybe the subdomain thing works. I am not 100% sure. that's my only tip for now. FWIW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Need little edit works only.

Hi Andhie,
    Please consider the following:
    1. I think you should take a careful revision of the heading words "Knoleggs is (a) multi ...whereby we evaluate the (the) depth of their ...particular niche. Qualified scale experts succinctly(?, think if this word could go with the theme of the line) recommend the best guides and reviews for your needs based on extensive research and hands-on experience."
    2. Is there any alternative sign up process beside the existing one?
    3. Spellings, selection of fonts need your careful revision
    I hope this are some issues that I feel need to be solved, hope you appreciate my review.
    Thank you,

mfdk37

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Hi guys, thanks for great feedbacks!

Really appreciate it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello Mr.knoleggs. your website design is very good for the who likes simple website designs. you should increase the size of "Recent Updates" and also change the color of this text into green color. At the right below corner please place any some images or a FACEBOOK fan widget. don't keep this place as free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

I really liked the logo of Knoleggs.com. Also, its too overwhelming. When the website opened, as an average user, I thought woo.. where do I begin? It can be more organized so that an average person like does not get confused of how and where to begin reading. There are no links for editor's pick and Latest popular.

When I saw this - "KNOLEGGS.COM → KNOWLEDGE" - I thought I am on another page, so I clicked on the home which I though to be KNOLEGGS.COM- but the pages happen to be same.

Overall, I really liked your site!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's great that you have an intro on your home page introducing the site. However, it's not really clear what to do next. Bottom left there is a sign up field, but it's not clear what I'd be signing up for. And what's the point of featuring authors on the home page? It's just not quite clear what its all about ... and thats a good way to turn people away. These authors are there to mee my needs ... but how?

I'd say simplify the text quite a bit and give some big, clear options for what to do next.