User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique my new personal portfolio

Hey all!

http://www.webdale.co.uk

I decided being a freelance designer wasn't enough so I thought i'd design my new portfolio with a bit of a twist.

Would love to hear some feedback. It's my first proper code using Wordpress so any additions or recommendations would be most welcome. The theme was created from scratch to force me to properly learn how to develop a front-end from my original designs. It's changed a bit over the year it took to make (on and off) and I'm still tweaking.

Hope to talk to some of you on the forum soon, and thanks for taking the time to look

- Jack Webdale

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My initial thought was, wow the site looks really good, like a template I'd download, though it looks like it's a site specifically for a gamer rather than an all purpose site about you personally. If that is your intention then it looks really good.

I don't know hardly anything or nothing at all about wordpress so my comments probably won't be all that helpful in that area.

The really huge image scroller at the top seems to distract from the really important info about the main content of the site (though it looks really good). I usually tend to skip over such things because they look so much like advertisements that I'd probably not be interested in (even if it's actually only advertising content on the website itself and not something outside the site). Although if it looks visually good (like your's does) I'd probably at least look at it for the sake of the art work.

As it is, the scroller is advertising the content of your site, but still, it's really big.

I'm not sayin you should remove it but just that I personally find it a bit distracting.

Anyway, good work. I am also working with a "dark" style for my site and I've encountered heaps of problems with making it dark yet approachable and easy to read, too. I think you've done a good job with your site in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good work Jack! I think the site works well, it successfully shows your skills & should draw the clientele you're after. It's good to see you've taken the time to learn how to develop a site properly, rather than releasing it as quickly as possible.

Maybe you could look into media queries to make the site more accessible to devices like the iphone..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the website/the graphics on it, layout, effects. Really nice one.

The only thing I am now a big fan of is Flash, and the first animation on the homepage slider is flash. Other than that, everything looks and seems to be working ok.

As I go through it again, I see things: on the "work" page, hovering over a thumbnail brings up the image caption. I would expect clicking on the image caption to have the same effect as clicking on the image: take me to the full post - but it doesn't. Maybe you can check into it and if you consider that to be an inconvenient maybe you'll do something about it.
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

Really appreciate the feedback.

@cows - I'm really glad you mentioned about the Gamer feel. That's exactly what I was aiming for (I was actually applying for Video game developers at the time as it's the industry I wanted to move more toward). I took quite a lot of inspiration from www.blizzard.com in the original design idea. The top area is fairly large as it's the featured work and it holds the concept together (Plus I spent a lot on the artwork so I wanted it to be seen!).

@RyanKing Thanks! And yes, I media queries is my next step. I'm considering making a completely new design using Parallax scrolling and responsive techniques - that way I can make the artwork HUGE and give it a 3d feel while being scalable.

@sergui I know flash isn't cool at the moment, but you'll be glad to know that if you had flash disabled you'd get a flat JPEG replacement, so it works well on iPad and iPhone too. I tried using HTML5 video but the autoplay features are touch and go and the <video> tag behaves differently in different browsers. Flash was the only way I could maintain control. I checked out the thumbnail issue, it seems fine here though maybe there's a bug I havn't noticed, i'll have a look. Thanks very much for pointing it out

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jack! First off, wow! Site looks fantastic. Spot on Wordpress application. Things that stand out: Homepage content slider (I for one think it's a perfect featured showcase. Grabbed my attention.), About page 360* portrait (Never seen this before. Very cool interactivity.), Overall look & feel (Everything ties in well with each other. Site is perfect showcase of your digital skills. I like the "mascot" you've got everywhere with the logo tied into suit. Badass lol.)

Not much nitpicking to speak of. The contact area is a tad bit small and generic. Perhaps more interactivity there would help organize and filter incoming messages.

The site is full scale in mobile browser and is thus, quite hard to navigate. I have to constantly zoom in/out to get around and accidentally tap wrong links. Maybe a mobile specific site could be made.

Still an awesome job! Huge fan of this design. I feel that you've got your 'image' down. That year of work payed off.