SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Position In Hash - Not reset?

I have a sizeable hash that I create by reading a flat file. The hash is already sorted, so I need to access it sequentially. I cannot access the values I need directly because the key does not correspond to the search I am doing.

Here is the code:
    Code:
    my $branches = 0;

LOOK: foreach $key ( keys %header )
    {

# Split line into an array using tab delimiter
        my @branch_fld = split(/\t/, $header{$key});

if ( ($branch_fld[13] eq $some_value) && ($branch_fld[14] eq '4') )
        {
        	$branches++;

print OUTFILE "A whole bunch of stuff goes here...."

}elsif ($branches > 0){

last LOOK;
        }
    }
    My thought was that I could save some time...but the result was strange. If the value I was looking for was x, this code would:

Start reading hash values:
    Key 1: value = a
    Key 2: value = a
    Key 3: value = b
    Key 4: value = b
    Key 5: value = b
    Key 6: value = x ***OK, now we start to print stuff
    Key 7: value = x ***print some more
    Key 8: value = z ***OK, now stop printing, and since $branches is > 0 then exit the loop.

This works fine for the first value I need, but let's say the next value I want is "z". Since I start the foreach again, I expect the hash to start searching from Key 1. But what happened is that it would start searching from Key 9! This, of course, means that I miss the first "z" value which occurred on Key 8.

Since Perl does not use a reset on arrays/hashes, I am a little confused here. If I simply change my code to read the entire hash every time, then I get what I want. But it adds unnecessary overhead.

What think you? Am I missing something? Is my code flawed? Or is this just an anomaly of Perl (I use PHP heavily, so I am more accustomed to resetting array pointers).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the excerpt from the man page of ActivePerl for the 'each' function.
    When the hash is entirely read, a null array is returned in list context (which when assigned produces a false (0) value), and undef in scalar context. The next call to each after that will start iterating again. There is a single iterator for each hash, shared by all each, keys, and values function calls in the program; it can be reset by reading all the elements from the hash, or by evaluating keys HASH or values HASH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks monolitik. I missed that...it is good information to know.