SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Winamp 3 shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some winamp screens what you all think ?

http://users4.50megs.com/winamp/

these are not fake these where posted @ http://genghis.winamp.com/~steve/wasabi/player.gif until this url was made public and it was taken down.

http://www.winamp.com/nsdn/winamp3x/
    for some info about it

[Edited by velocity on 08-29-2000 at 12:10 PM]
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winamp has always been my favourite (and the only mp3player that doesn't crash on my PC) and now it's getting even better! Man, I feel so happy!
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, I can't wait for it to come out!
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to be pessimistic here but I don't see anything different from the screen shots that signifies anything new. You can already use skins with WinAmp now and when I used the program it looked totally different anyway because of that.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG go back even further to http://genghis.winamp.com/~steve/ i mean lol this is winamps staff prvite stuff and winamp 3 beta shots where post here before i mean LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by wluke
    Hate to be pessimistic here but I don't see anything different from the screen shots that signifies anything new. You can already use skins with WinAmp now and when I used the program it looked totally different anyway because of that.
    You must have read the text on the Winamp site before you understand it... You know, the part about the new features...

"Screenshots are what they are: a bunch of pictures. No information is enclosed in it. Text, on the other site, can contain all the information you need..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.webdog.org/plans/319/ appears to be from the guy that had these images on his private page at winamp.com. Some sort of blogger he has and the rest of the winamp crew also appear to take part check out his response to this.

"I come home and what do i find?
    Postings of wa3 sample screenshots on
    betanews. grr. you learn from your
    mistakes, next time i won't make the url
    so easy."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking from the likes of the screen shot of WinAmp 3, it doesn't look drastically different, but it has to have SOME improvements. Looks like the best just got better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    You must have read the text on the Winamp site before you understand it... You know, the part about the new features...

"Screenshots are what they are: a bunch of pictures. No information is enclosed in it. Text, on the other site, can contain all the information you need..."
    I did read the little bit of text on the main Winamp page. Still there was nothing to convince me that I should start using their program again. I don't care about alpha-blended skins or scalable textures. The components features might be nice but only if third parties make good use of the developer's kit. As for enhanced playback, I didn't see any details of what they were enhancing to make my experience better. Right now Windows Media Player serves my purposes better than WinAmp ever did, but hey this is my own personal experience.

Besides if I reinstalled WinAmp which should I uninstall? Netscape or ICQ? I only allow 2 of AOL's programs to be installed on my machine at a time.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, do what you want, but I would never use MediaPlayer to play MP3s. MediaPlayer is only for playing Video IMHO...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Winamp just because I don't have to use it at all. I made a simple playlist and now it's on my Quick Launch toolbar. It never crashes on me. So yes, I will let 3 pieces of AOL software on my computer

If you want to see Justin from Nullsoft's page, here it is: http://genghis.winamp.com/~justin/

I could find other staff pages but I don't really feel like it now.. (click on the 'f' in 'feel')

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did read the little bit of text on the main Winamp page. Still there was nothing to convince me that I should start using their program again. I don't care about alpha-blended skins or scalable textures. The components features might be nice but only if third parties make good use of the developer's kit. As for enhanced playback, I didn't see any details of what they were enhancing to make my experience better. Right now Windows Media Player serves my purposes better than WinAmp ever did, but hey this is my own personal experience.

Besides if I reinstalled WinAmp which should I uninstall? Netscape or ICQ? I only allow 2 of AOL's programs to be installed on my machine at a time.
    Wayne, you only allow two AOL programs on your computer at a time? Is there a real reason or what? I can understand, AOL stinks, but I'd like to know your reasoning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm not gonna quote the whole thing again...

I just wanted to say that I find this the most unlogical reasoning I've ever heard of you, Wayne. I'm sorry if this offends you, but I don't think that you can judge programs by the company that made it.
    I would like to know what made you say this...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a long story...

Back in the early 90's I was on AOL when it was Macintosh only. There were only about 100K users and you had to pay $9.95 per hour or something like that. It was really expensive. Anyway without going into details, I have a personal problem with Steve Case, CEO and President of AOL and to this day I limit my involvement with his company as much as possible.

I don't think that you can judge programs by the company that made it.
    You judge the things you buy or use by the brand name behind it. People buy cars, laundry detergent, food, clothes and everything else this way. Why should software be any different? I like knowing that if I go buy my kids the Newest Jumpstart or Reader Rabbit title that they are going to enjoy it before I take the cellophane off the CD. I enjoy knowing that if I install Visio 2000 it will automatically integrate into MS-Office. Convenience and experience with previous products sway your opinions every day.

I try to judge programs by their performance and ability. I feel that paying the registration fee of Winamp is not a good value for its performance and ability. I stopped using Winamp when my 30 day trial expired which was before AOL bought the company and can't really see a reason for going back.

I personally would like to remove ICQ and Netscape from my machines but can't for both business and personal reasons.

I keep hoping for an International Standard for Instant Messaging so that I can pick a client that I feel serves my needs better than ICQ but still enables me to talk with my friends and colleagues (currently over 300 people on my list).

Email has a set standard why can't Instant Messaging? As for Navigator, I haven't liked it since Internet Explorer 3 was released and only keep it to check my pages once in a while for compatibility purposes. Once the Gecko Engine is ready for prime-time and a good high-quality Front-End like Neoplanet (my personal interface favorite) incorporates it then I will dump it as well. I personally have tracked programs that were bought out and feel that quality has suffered. ICQ and Navigator have become worse since AOL has purchased them and neither are worthy of the crowns they once wore. I remember when ICQ was a 1 meg download and Navigator came on two 1.44 MB Floppies. In those days they were true royalty and the best programs in their genre. Today that just can't be said.

Its not just AOL software, there are other companies out there who I feel don't put the effort into the software that they should, as in I'll never buy another McAfee product since they were bought by Network Associates. Then there are other companies that see a good product/company that is faltering and help it up. Case in point is Symantec. Symantec bought Norton Systems and since that purchase their quality has risen and the products are thinner, more robust and cheaper.

I certainly hope that AOL doesn't screw up the Time-Warner properties but I can assure you it will effect where my entertainment dollars are spent in the long run.

This is my personal opinion and I know its not going to bankrupt AOL but I feel that in today's corporate world you have to vote with your dollar. I just moved my votes to the other guy. You don't have to agree with me. Even my own parents don't agree with me (They use AOL as their ISP). But on the same token I don't have to agree with you.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wluke you know alot about web history and its roots don't yah thats cool . The guys at nullsoft have said this is only a screenshot its what is inside that makes it what it is and winamp will support free form skinning thats the big new feature. This is just a new skin. you look at screen shots of 1.x compaired to 2.x and they aint much diffrince yet the player itself is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winamp has always been my favourite (and the only mp3player that doesn't crash on my PC) and now it's getting even better! Man, I feel so happy!
    mmmmmmmmm... Are we making opinions again before TRYING something? I really see nothing big on the screenshot. Just my plain Winamp 1.etc in a skin.

I use WinAmp, but that's just because it is in my ShortCut menu... I personally hate AOL because it stops internet growth and increases the price of internet.

I can give a nice example about this... In Belgium AOL has almost no members. Therefore, Belgium has one of the best free internet providers and relativly cheap and fast broadband ISPs. In Germany for example, where AOL is much more used, internet is a lot more expensive than in Belgium. I also heard service of most ISPs aren't that good... AOL is bad news. (ie period)

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FS: I'm just enjoying Winamp since it's the only program on my PC that doesn't crash reguarly. If there's a new version and I like the specifications, I'm allowed to be feel happy, right?

Besides, if I'm using Winamp, that won't make AOL any profit, nor when I'm using ICQ. Only when I use AIM I could make them profit since it has this banner on it...

What makes me curious is this:

I use WinAmp, but that's just because it is in my ShortCut menu... I personally hate AOL because it stops internet growth and increases the price of internet.

I can give a nice example about this... In Belgium AOL has almost no members. Therefore, Belgium has one of the best free internet providers and relativly cheap and fast broadband ISPs. In Germany for example, where AOL is much more used, internet is a lot more expensive than in Belgium. I also heard service of most ISPs aren't that good... AOL is bad news. (ie period)
    You have NOT tested AOL and still you say such bad things about it. Why? I hope that you're not just acting like many other people who immediately reply 'AOHell' when they hear AOL without any reason.

In my opinion, AOL and MicroSoft share one thing: They're both the 'victim' of jokes and hatred. Whether this is fair or not isn't our decission.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I was a member of AOL for almost 3 years, and it caused no end of problems for me. It was expensive, it believe it cost something like 2.50/hour. The AOL app was big, bulky and often crashed my pc.
    AOL claimed (and still do) to be the best, and most user-friendly ISP, but who can be user friendly if they charge an excessive amount for the same thing people can get on many of the free ISPs?

I currently have ICQ, Netscape and WinAmp installed (although I don't use WinAmp, I use Windows Media Player 7 instead). I don't use Netscape either, I only use it for testing my sites.

Elledan: I agree with you that Microsoft is a victim of unfair jokes etc, but in my opinion AOL deserves everything it gets.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to agree with Wayne, ICQ has started to become bloat-ware since AOL took them over. As for Navigator - 'nuff said. It doesn't look like their is anything to radical for WinAMP 3, I will probably stick to 2.62.

Personally I like WinAMP, it is the fastest MP3 player out their, MS Media Player is slow and clunky on my PC (Dual 550, 256MB RAM) whereas WinAMP is fast on my parents PC (Cyrix 166, 32MB RAM).
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also prefer to use WinAMP over MS Media Player.

I also tried sonique but that crashed my system after about 5 minutes of use.

Before I had to reformat my HD I was able to check the amount of minutes of music winamp had played and it was around 30,000 minutes or so. However I can't seem to find where to find those details using winamp 2.62. Anyone know how to find it?

rgds,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WinAmp is the best MP3 player. Hands down.

Wayne, thanks for explaining that long story. Very interesting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith > in the playlist window in one of those little popups on the bottom there is an option to export a HTML playlist. Do that and it'll tell you.

Owen