SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HTML error finder

I want to check if there are any errors in my coding. My site's ranking has dropped and someone suggested me to check for html errors. Is there any site or software to check it?

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Yes, Guido linked to the HTML validator, which you should use first. Then there is also the CSS validator, which you may need too:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks people!!!

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As has been suggested the W3C validator is the best resource for this. I would like to mention that I have become a big fan of the text editor CODA, as it has a built in , line by line , descriptive error checker. It also works with HTML/PHP, for dynamic sites. So I use that as my first quickie step... and once everything seems clear give it a once ( and seldom twice ) over at W3C.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gives the following error and other similar errors. Where (Which file) to correct these errors?
    Line 66, Column 362: Attribute name not allowed on element meta at this point.
    …k, ACCA UK, ACCA world, F1, F2, F3, F4, P1, P2, Student Accountant magazine" />

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dresden_phoenix View Post
    As has been suggested the W3C validator is the best resource for this. I would like to mention that I have become a big fan of the text editor CODA, as it has a built in , line by line , descriptive error checker. It also works with HTML/PHP, for dynamic sites. So I use that as my first quickie step... and once everything seems clear give it a once ( and seldom twice ) over at W3C.
    Where can I find CODA?

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opportunist86 View Post
    It gives the following error and other similar errors. Where (Which file) to correct these errors?
    The file you validated (the html page) at around line 66). Is this a meta keyword element in your body section? We can only guess without seeing a link.

Where can I find CODA?
    Be aware that it's only for Mac. I'm sure other code editors do the same. Doesn't Dreamweaver have something like this?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    The file you validated (the html page) at around line 66). Is this a meta keyword element in your body section? We can only guess without seeing a link.

Be aware that it's only for Mac. I'm sure other code editors do the same. Doesn't Dreamweaver have something like this?
    Thanks. Its great if dreamweaver does the same.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My site is on wordpress and I don't know where do I find this meta error. My site is accapastpapers .com.pk

Mentioned
    413 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opportunist86 View Post
    My site is on wordpress and I don't know where do I find this meta error. My site is accapastpapers .com.pk
    You have two meta keyword entries on that page, so maybe it's warning you that the second one doesn't belong there. It looks like a plugin of some kind is entering it.

You also have the words "ACCA Past Papers" appearing at the top of the page, which seem to be sitting just below the <body> tag, which need to be removed. You'll have to dig into the WP files to find where all these bits reside.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two meta keyword entries on that page, so maybe it's warning you that the second one doesn't belong there. It looks like a plugin of some kind is entering it.

You also have the words "ACCA Past Papers" appearing at the top of the page, which seem to be sitting just below the <body> tag, which need to be removed. You'll have to dig into the WP files to find where all these bits reside.
    Its All in one seo plugin. Thanks for your help by the way.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I'm sure other code editors do the same. Doesn't Dreamweaver have something like this?
    Yes, Dw has a built in validator and highlights invalid code in code view.

I find this addon for Firefox useful though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't argue with the w3.org validator. It is technology-agnostic and singular of purpose. If I might chip in here, I've built a validator on top of validator.nu, which is also what the w3 uses. It's called http://html.validator.pro. It doesn't do anything fancy, but extends the w3 validator with the capability of multiple pages, such that you might be able to check every page within a website in one go. Hopefully it can speed up your workflow and make life easier for you. Please let me know if you find it useful or not.

Best Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jan 7, 2013 at 14:27. Reason: Email address removed