SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which version do you like best?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • version 1 - red header

0 0%
  • Version 2 - blue header

0 0%
  • Version 3 - red header, shadow containers

0 0%
  • Version 4 - red/ shadow/ blue text

0 0%
  • Version 5 - blue/shadow/blue text

0 0%
  • Current website theme, plain, white

0 0%
  • None of them - needs to be redesigned completely

1 100.00%
  • Other - please specify in a post

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bluepindesign.com - personal portfolio website - POLL

Hi there,

Link to version gallery

Link to current site

Please review and state your impressions, don't forget to vote the option you like most.

Arguments and positive/negative critique are welcomed.

Thanks!
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I can see what you are trying to do with those designs—to identify better the different sections of the page. But I would also suggest you make the message about what you do a bit clearer. I'm not too keen on relying on slideshows to clarify what you do. You have important information (about being a web designer etc.) in images only, with no fallback text. It's always a good idea to see what your site looks like with JS, images and CSS off (in all combinations). You might get a shock. Remember that blind users (like Google!) won't see what's in those images. I know you have some paragraphs lower down that sort of explain what you do and offer, but I often find that's too late—I've already moved on.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right, separate the sections for the user to be able to visually separate the content from the rest and focus on the main content.

Regarding SEO, it's true, not well implemented in this website. Images won't feed search engine's hunger for information.

There are some things I am not too interested at this point: SEO and my contact information being present there. This was supposed to be a very simple presentation website, mainly to show my portfolio, that's it. The home page is mostly just to be there... I wonder if I shouldn't put the portfolio section straight on the home page for now... what do you thing? Have a 2 page website or max 3 page including About? Or are my ideas too radical?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiu.mihu View Post
    There are some things I am not too interested at this point: SEO and my contact information being present there.

I wonder if I shouldn't put the portfolio section straight on the home page for now...
    If the main aim is to be a portfolio site, that's probably a good idea. I was just admiring Boag's Headscape site the other day. I think it presents their offerings really well, yet it's a pretty simple site.

They make it really clear on their home page what they do, and have their latest work there on show.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, it is a nice website, indeed. An example to follow.
    That recent work on the home page is not a bad idea at all. I have wordpress in the back end, so I can use the database anyway I want, including having the latest projects on the home page. And yes, my design needs some color splashes, not only colored text here and there. Back to the drawing board .

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiu.mihu View Post
    Back to the drawing board .
    I know the feeling. One thing that helps is to start with the content first, as that helps to inform the design. Perhaps it's worth asking what you would say to a potential client if you have 5 or 10 seconds to get your message across—basically one sentence. Whatever that message would be should probably be in big type at the top of the home page.