SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Please review this site! - Directory of directories & social bookmarking websites.

About the site, I actually wanted to make a link trade/market place, because I really got tiered to go on tens of webmaster forums just to find the links that would help my sites so, I bought a domain and got my vBulletin installed but then I though, what if I would add a directory of directories too? and so I did, and you can see it in here. At first, I was thinking to add just a directory list but then i thought that a real directory would be a better idea as webmasters would find exactly the directories they need since everything is listed by categories.

I am looking for general reviews. The more complete, the better

Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

First impressions weren't too good for me I'm afraid. Although, I've spent my fair share of hoking through sites looking for links so I do like the idea of your site. I'm defo in your target audience!

I'd have to say I don't like the design too much, I think it looks a bit 90s to be honest. I'm not a designer so I can't give any useful pointers about how to fix, but I'd say the colour is wrong, looks like the colour of old paper or something. I would have been expecting blue or black or white (or some sort of nice colour) I guess. And also because this site is going to be for a web savvy audience I think it needs to look ultra modern and sleek. I think you need to have a more meaningful looking logo. It should say something about your site and what it's all about. It's not immediately obvious, aside from the small text (if this is your strapline it should be bigger, it's what tells ppl what you do) what your site is about.

When people arrive at a website they need to know in milliseconds what the site is about and where they want to click next. Because your site doesn't have much in the way of colour, or icons, or pictures, it's kind of hard to know what it's about and where to go.

Also navigation needs a little work. You have two areas of latest links which have the same info. The bigger one looks too much like google ads and I avoided looking there for a while. I did look at the sidebar one, but was expecting to see links like:
    Paid Directories
    free directories
    social networks
    etc

rather than some random links to somewhere. I don't know if I'm going to a directory site or what, so I'd avoid clicking them. Also when you hover over it just says 'read more about Dig a Business' which doesn't add any more info than I already knew. Either get rid of or make it say something about each link.

Also the actual directory links (in red) are too hard to read. Put things on different lines I'd say. In fact move these to the sidebox.

All in all the site needs some work. But it's a good idea. If you are hoping to make this a real player some time soon then it might be worth going on a design competition site or find a designer somewhere. If you are just doing it for yourself to learn then you will have learned a lot hopefully. If it is the latter then a piece of wisdom I learned is that when I made my first couple of sites, to me they looked great because of the effort I put in. Now when I look at them I cringe. (I'm sure in a few years I'll cringe at what I do now!) Everybody thinks their baby looks nice, that type of thing.

I'm sorry for being negative but honesty is the best policy. I hope I'm of some help.

If you fancied having a look at my site I'd be grateful

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...reviews-wanted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

whenever I stumble accross a website similiar to yours, I click off it straight away. It looks to much like a spam site or some kind of dodgy directory. The web seems to be filled with directory sites and offers for backlinks, so my first suggestion to you is, if you're going to have a site like this, make sure you differentiate yourself, try and do something different.

As for the design, well being honest it looks amateurish, for me to use any web based directory other than dmoz, yahoo etc.. I need to see something that looks reputable.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'd go back to the drawing board on this one.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast Red Star Web Dev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m3ckon View Post
    whenever I stumble accross a website similiar to yours, I click off it straight away. It looks to much like a spam site or some kind of dodgy directory. The web seems to be filled with directory sites and offers for backlinks
    I don't think this can be overstated. I do the same thing whenever I come across a site like this, and I'd bet good money that most people do the same.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barricades View Post
    You have two areas of latest links which have the same info.The bigger one looks too much like google ads and I avoided looking there for a while. I did look at the sidebar one, but was expecting to see links like:
    Paid Directories
    free directories
    social networks
    etc
    rather than some random links to somewhere. I don't know if I'm going to a directory site or what, so I'd avoid clicking them.
    Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by barricades View Post
    I'm sorry for being negative but honesty is the best policy. I hope I'm of some help.
    I really appreciate your honesty! After all, the reason why i asked for the review was to know the weak points.
    whenever I stumble across a website similar to yours, I click off it straight away. It looks to much like a spam site or some kind of dodgy directory.
    Do you mind telling me what exactly "looks like a spam site or some kind of dodgy directory"?!? Im asking you this because i have to know what exactly to fix so other people wont get the wrong idea.
    The web seems to be filled with directory sites and offers for backlinks, so my first suggestion to you is, if you're going to have a site like this, make sure you differentiate yourself, try and do something different.
    This is a directory of directories and it has to be filled with directory sites and related information. What differentiate this site from directory lists is that, it is not a list of some thousands of urls (containing redirected or 404 urls among them) but a real directory with (currently) 408 categories and i aim in making this directory the no.1 resource of directories and social bookmarking websites.
    for me to use any web based directory other than dmoz, yahoo etc.. I need to see something that looks reputable.
    This is off-topic. Anyway, a directory dose not provide a backlink only, but also advertises the websites. I had a few sites that were only of interest in my region and after i submitted those sites to local directories, i had an increase in traffic.There are people who use especially niche or regional directories as their second SE.

-Than you, to both of you for taking the time to review the site. However, I dont see any word about the forum and I actually designed the vBulletin first, then i added the PHPLD and designed it to match the forum. I used brown because i considered it easy for the eyes. Perhaps i was wrong. Anyway, I will wait for a few more reviews (which hopefully, will come) before changing the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Star Web Dev View Post
    I don't think this can be overstated. I do the same thing whenever I come across a site like this, and I'd bet good money that most people do the same.
    This is a review thread and if you can do a review, i`ll appreciate it.
    **You should know that commenting on other comments or agreeing/disagreeing with them is useless for the thread starter.
    Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast Red Star Web Dev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _Web_ View Post
    This is a review thread and if you can do a review, i`ll appreciate it.
    **You should know that commenting on other comments or agreeing/disagreeing with them is useless for the thread starter.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, that's fair.

I think the organization is pretty good. Landing on the site, I can see from the subtitle exactly what this site is, which is nice. I also like the embedded Alexa stats on each entry.

When I click on a parent category, it would be nice to see a selection of featured links from the children categories.

Visually, it's a bit boring. The colors scheme could use some sort of accent. I like the desaturated colors, but without some sort of accent my eyes are drawn to the brightest point on the page: the social media icons and the advertising on the right, which is probably not what you're going for.

You logo looks a bit jaggy (I'm guessing it's the font), and isn't terrible interesting.

I think the big take away is that, as someone who comes across your site, I'm not seeing much to draw me in and make me want to explore. And, since I often find sites like this to be spammy, I would likely not stick around long.

That said, this is a good idea for a directory, and would probably be quite useful to someone trying to promote a site.

SitePoint Member WebMonkeyOttawa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As previous posters have mentioned, the immediate feeling is untrustworthy. I have difficulty understanding the concept of your website - looks like Yahoo back in 1998. I even tried to develop something similar back in 1999, and it was for a search engine project. So basically, you're competing with Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo for the search market. I don't think it's worth going in that direction unless you can capture a niche market. Then you might receive enough interest from said niche website owners. For example, you can focus it on your city, restaurants in your city, homes for sale in your city, etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dear friend,

your web site is very good for medium speed internet computers. because it doesnt have any graphics are graphical tect in ur site. but remember that pleas change the links colors.

The overall concept in your site is not understandable for a while. so you need to tell your site concept in the front page or else use the tips of GUI(graphical user interface) techniques.

you first chage the background color of the main page. it is worrest at all cases. My sugession is browse some web-sites in your niche in this forum so that you can get a idea avout this. ok
    Last edited by Stevie D; Apr 26, 2012 at 13:45. Reason: Fake signature removed