SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion - stop making your email addresses for book offers look like spam.

I'm surprised that Sitepoint - of all places - is using email subject lines like this:

50% SAVING + FREE PHP poster with Kevin Yank's New 'PHP & MySQL' Book

and "from" email addresses like this:

sitepoint-yuudpl1euldhurtu1y@cmail5.com

Our GWAVA5 company spam filter (which is where all of these go even if I try to set them as "ham") rates this as "Spam threshold 4" with a score of "0.95". I don't see anything higher than Threshold 5 and a Score of 1.0 for actual spam. It's not suprising given these well-known spam triggers: capital letters - "50% SAVING" - "FREE" and the fact that "cmail5.com" does not match the domain sitepoint.com.

Charles

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_i View Post
    I'm surprised that Sitepoint - of all places - is using email subject lines like this:

50% SAVING + FREE PHP poster with Kevin Yank's New 'PHP & MySQL' Book

and "from" email addresses like this:

sitepoint-yuudpl1euldhurtu1y@cmail5.com

Our GWAVA5 company spam filter (which is where all of these go even if I try to set them as "ham") rates this as "Spam threshold 4" with a score of "0.95". I don't see anything higher than Threshold 5 and a Score of 1.0 for actual spam. It's not suprising given these well-known spam triggers: capital letters - "50% SAVING" - "FREE" and the fact that "cmail5.com" does not match the domain sitepoint.com.

Charles
    Fair call Charles. I'll pass that on to our marketing team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you are still doing this. FYI EVERY one of your Xmas offer emails to my work place lands in the spam filter because they are all from different addresses? And what's worse, the "From" address does not match Sitepoint.com - an obvious spam trigger - today they are from createsend5.com, and cmail1.com. What's worse you can't even mark these addresses as "ham" because they keep changing, like a professional spammer. Why?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I see you are still doing this. FYI EVERY one of your Xmas offer emails to my work place lands in the spam filter because they are all from different addresses? And what's worse, the "From" address does not match Sitepoint.com - an obvious spam trigger - today they are from createsend5.com, and cmail1.com. What's worse you can't even mark these addresses as "ham" because they keep changing, like a professional spammer. Why?
    I don't know and I can't explain this. Unfortunately @HAWK ; will be a few days away and she's the only one with direct contact with HQ. I'm suspect that she doesn't have an answer. It may be a simple case of experimenting with different mass mailers to see which statistics are more accurate and which one works better.

Regarding the titles, I suspect that the campaign was planned in advance but I'm sure that Hawk passed you comments and they will take it into consideration for future campaigns

Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Hi Charles, the createsend email addresses are the result of Campaign Monitor, which is the service that we use to manage our email campaigns. I passed on your feedback re titles to the marketing team when you first posted, but they have written those emails as the result of careful studies into what has and hasn't worked for us in the past. I appreciate that they're not your thing.
    Last edited by HAWK; Oct 8, 2013 at 16:44.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    Hi Charles, the createsend email addresses are the result of Campaign Monitor, which is the service that we use to manage our email campaigns. I passed on your feedback re titles to the marketing team when you first posted, but they have written those emails as the result of careful studies into what has and hasn't worked for us in the past. I appreciate that they're not your thing.
    I won't dispute the studies that your marketing folks are using, but I just deleted the email I received, spooked by "sitepointbroadcast.createsend5.com" domain. Then I saw here that it was legit. I assume your marketing studies account for recipients like me.
    Last edited by HAWK; Oct 8, 2013 at 16:44.

Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatlarkin View Post
    I assume your marketing studies account for recipients like me.
    I hope so!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is the first time I've bothered to investigate whether these emails are yours or not - up until now I've assumed they were spam and deleted them all. When I normally get nicely-crafted HTML emails with images sent to my inbox from SitePoint, these basic text-only ones just don't give the impression that they are built by guys who know what they're doing - they just look like typical spam.

Mentioned
    955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyiBM View Post
    I think this is the first time I've bothered to investigate whether these emails are yours or not - up until now I've assumed they were spam and deleted them all. When I normally get nicely-crafted HTML emails with images sent to my inbox from SitePoint, these basic text-only ones just don't give the impression that they are built by guys who know what they're doing - they just look like typical spam.
    Hearing you. I'll send this the way of the marketing team again, as we have new people in the company that may have different ideas and or solutions.