SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now don't anyone go ballistic with this question, please. This whole subject caused me to check a page I hadn't updated lately. On it I list a few HTML editors. The whole Tools and Tips section of my personal site is geared toward newbie hobbyists, not web developers. I wouldn't presume to make suggestions to experienced people. This is more like a place to send people that ask me question about setting up a site..simple suggestions, with links to helpful sites and as often as possible, free or cheap software. So, anyway, I noticed that on this page, I was recommending a couple of packages that are either not supported any longer or not available at all. Obviously I need to update. Does anyone recommend..for newbies and people who just want to do a personal site, any free WYSIWYG editor other than Netscape Composer or Front Page Express? Does anyone know if there are any current free ones that also allow you to access the HTML easily and without complications?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with notepad, but used Frontpage Express (version 1 or 2 - a long time ago this) to create tables quickly.

We then used notepad with Server Side Includes to speed up updating the site

We then used a FREE copy of Dreamweaver 1.0 (cover CD - WOW!) with dreamweavers libraries to generate the pages with the benefit of easy update and none of the server workload drag of SSI (we got busy!).

We now use Dreamweaver (still 1.0) for almost everything, but still tidy the code in Notepad every now and then (well, textpad shareware at http://www.textpad.co.uk for the anti gates lobby).

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer
    Does anyone recommend..for newbies and people who just want to do a personal site, any free WYSIWYG editor other than Netscape Composer or Front Page Express? Does anyone know if there are any current free ones that also allow you to access the HTML easily and without complications?
    I haven't tried this editor yet other than downloading the files with plans to 'try it soon' but this is a free WYSIWYG editor that you could review to see if it has potential - IMS Dwarf - from Virtual Mechanics.

General Opinion from Webkat...Reviewing and comparing the WYSIWYG Programs and Text Editors should be considered from the standpoint of the level of expertise of the person using it. Your view will be completely opposite from the beginner if you have been building websites for a long period of time. Opening textpad with an HTML reference book and attempting to build a website for the first time has overwhelmed more people than you can count...

I remember downloading SiteAid, a free HTML editor, when I first began. Combine that with my knowledge of HTML only being able to make a hyperlink, you can see how the thought of actually being able to make a web page can seem impossible. Working with a WYSIWYG helped me to learn to create a web page without totally becoming discouraged and just quitting - but I never thought of those types of editors as a 'crutch'.

If that is the case, then everyone with spellcheck functions on their word processors disconnect them now...because my idea of a 'perfect' WYSIWYG is to be able to creat tags/codes that normally would have to be imput by hand. Spellcheck isn't perfect or it would know 'whether from weather' - but is necessary if anyone here has typed an article on a regular typewriter

As some here know, I began with a free online program, moved on to FP98 to finally am working with Dreamweaver. I have also have tried almost every trial versions of many of the editors out there. In my humble opinion of experience when you are just starting out learning to build websites, WYSIWYG editors combined in conjuction with learning HTML, are probably the best way to start in the beginning in order to visually see just what you are doing.

As you learn more, you will naturally want more control over your work and that's what we are all trying to do is to find the best one for each of us...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only started with Notepad because the company I was working for at the time wouldn't provide any software for me. I had to learn from help files I found on the net. Today, I would DEFINATELY NOT learn using notepad again! I would probably start using FrontPage as I found that more friends can help if when using an MS application. Like it or not, more people use MS apps than any other.

Still, anyone reading this will know of Sitepoint forums so there's always someone to help you, whatever unusual software platform you use.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webkat, thanks. I've downloaded that one, too. I haven't figured it all out yet. My contention is that learning to work with this type of thing is just as hard as learning HTML. In fact, that's how come I learned HTML, but different people's minds work in different ways. At the very least, though, it does look like it would be an easy and ok way for people to put up a photo album or some articles so after fooling around with it some more I think I'll include it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll get stoned for saying this, but AOLPress actually creates fairly decent code for a free WYSIWYG editor.

You can get it here.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was actually the only free WYSIWG I was recommending, but although it's still available, they say they're not supporting it anymore, nor developing it either. I still have it listed, but it looks like it's days are numbered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Bimjo
    I'll get stoned for saying this, but AOLPress actually creates fairly decent code for a free WYSIWYG editor.

You can get it here.
    It is an AOL product... So it is bad

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok guys... I have decided to give DW3 a chance. A real chance. I will design a site with it soon.

But if I don't like it... Well... even if I like it... I LOVE FP2000

Christophe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint has some reviews of both FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver 3...You guys might want to read them and see there opinion/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freesources
    Originally posted by Bimjo

You can get it here.
    It is an AOL product... So it is bad

Christophe
    Just because it's from AOL doesn't make it bad...well never mind it does

AOL Press was an OK editor, it makes good code and its very easy to get good with. I just don't like it for some reason. I don't know what it is. Oh yeah, it's made by AOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I could never figure out AOLpress. I guess that was when I was first learning this web stuff though. I guess I got confused abou uploading and uploading to your aol account. I think they tried to have it intergrate with AOL. And that confused me. Propietory software like that is bad in my opionion just like FP extensions because once its time to move on you are back at square one and know nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally used AOLPRESS to make my ecommerce site and for a really baisc site it worked great. As to good code though...I am in the procees of redoing the site by hand just to learn and the code that aolpress spewed out seems just terrible.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded AOL press and played around with it. I never actually made a site with it, though, so I couldn't say about the code. It seemed like the code would be fairly straightforward and I believe there are some options you can set for the HTML. I think in the end there aren't too many WYSIWG editors that are really any good and very few free ones.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pine by far.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by necrominator
    pine by far.
    I have never heard of an HTML editor called Pine. The only program I know called Pine is a Unix command line email program. I am curious as to where we can see what Pine has to offer the world of Web Design. I am always on the lookout for a better editing system.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pine is a unix email program. There is no such thing of a pine html editor. I belive necrominator has been spamming the boards with irrelevent posts to promote his [illegal] website http://www.phpcore.com...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is highly questionable and unethical in some schools, and is more likely to get you an 'F' instead of an 'A', selling, purchasing or giving away term papers is not an illegal activity. The only way it would be illegal is if they are plagarising and stealing someone's copyright or he doesn't have the right to redistribute which again steals someone's copyright.

I can't find any proof of such with this site. But I would like to point out that anyone posting nonsense and illogical answers through the forums always gets put on my monitored list and has their posting habits watched.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own Dreamweaver (haven't learned to use it), Frontpage (not too thrilled with), HotDog (Great...maily use the Supertoolz) and HomeSite which I love because I know how to use it. I started using Netscape Composer, but it adds to much crap!

Use what you like is my credo!

Doug

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.....freesources......wating.......

Have you done it yet?

Dying to hear of your conversion to Dreamweaver - let us know!

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to SitePoint (and fairly new to web design also-2yrs). Interesting site.

I, like many of you have tried both....both have pros & cons. I find them both to be fairly similar.

I do like to experiment with any software I can get my hands on. There is SOOOOO much out there:

- Micrografx WEBTRICITY....Real fun to use, espically like Simply3D, however I didn't like it enough to invest in upgrade version Graphx Suite, makes for an expensive toy.

- Caligari iSpace...If your looking for something REALLY different, this is it. Rotate your web pages 360. "See your buttons in true 3D..Very Cool, and it fits well with my trueSpace3. Throw in a little "Poser" action and have a party!

- Try using MS PowerPoint to make a slideshow presentation & publish it as a website(actually any Office2000 component can be used as an html/wysiwyg editor. One of the fastest ways I've found to put together a visually impressive site. Navagation i.e. slideshow,etc is a little difficult to work with. Buttons are not very visable & hard to explain tyo website visitors unless they are PowerPoint users. Download free photoalbum template plug-in at Microsoft site.

-Adobe is up and comming as a truly "Premier" set of web tools. I already use Photoshop/ImageReady (or Paintshop Pro-there both great) for most of my photo editing (I prefer to use MS PhotoDraw for graphics-Talk about a FUN product-This one is GREAT!!)Acrobat is great for large content sites that need to be cross-platform & retain design integrity-Corporate stuff.LiveMotion should give Flash a run for it's money.

- VR can be fun too:Platinum tech.'s VR Creator 2.0 , Skypaint , TriVista's 3D Imagescene , 3Dem ,Softly3D & as mentioned earlier Simply3D. They are all fun and not too expensive. Even FontFX has a pretty cool VR creator.

- Check out the java applets at CodeBrain (I found link in GoZilla toolbar. Pretty cool stuff.

Well, I've babbled long enough.
    "Inu4ea"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <-- Uses Notepad...

i do not know what peolpe have against notepad.. maybe its because my computer is not the "BEST" in the world, but its workable..

i like to have adobe photoshop up, Raydream Studio and a few converstaions on icq going while i work.

i also like being able to have 3-4 notepad docs open, so i can copy the original code, and then save it for reference, then on a test pad i would play around with the code trying to do cool stuff, or make it load faster, or load at all...

if i was doing this with frontpage i would be using and crashing my computer because of the constant switching back and forth

plus to as far as my knoledge i didnt think you could save files to .php in DW or FP

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about FP2000, but you can save files as php in Dreamweaver. I believe that there's direct support for them in Dreamweaver 3, but even in 2 I can save and open a php file.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, you can save .php files in DW3

(DW 'expert' talking )
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of cluttering up the board with more rantings, I will just say two words:

MACROMEDIA DREAMWEAVER.

Later,
    Patrick Weatherford
    www.BottomDollarDomains.com
    $12 Domain Name Registration