User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile ASP Page dropdown functionality not working in Windows7 machines

Hi,

I have been supporting an application developed in Classic ASP, SQL Server 2000 in XP environment.
    Recently the application got upgraded to SQLServer 2008 R2 with Windows Server 2008 R2 environment.
    The problem has started then. In the application screen, a dropdown which was working fine before upgrade is not working now.

Usecase of user action: When user selects an item in dropdown-1, then next moment he/she should be able to click on the dropdown-2 and should be able to select any one of the item from dropdown-2 and then clicks a submit button.

After upgradation (migration), the scenario happening is as below:
    User selects an item in dropdown-1 and when clicks on the dropdown-2 , it is not working. He/she is not able to see the items in the dropdown.

Please can I get a prompt help in this regard?

Thanks
    Apln_Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ASP_Apln_Support

I'm not too sure about the impact the would have had (others will better know this) but before then please check the following:
    Look at the source of the page. Is the data on the page just not showing. This might indicate a CSS problem.
    I assume it uses javascript to drive the change in the 2nd dropdown. Are you getting errors reported there.

Please check at least these two things and reply back.
    Joe
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
    is that good men do nothing."

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a difference in security between the two versions of IIS.

I haven't set up an IIS server for about 3-4 years but there are additional things to consider and the one that trips up most ASP Classic sites is "Parent Paths". Make sure Parent Paths are enabled. By default they are disabled which means any script or file in a parent directory can not be accessed by the code that is running. This means that if you are using code to determine drop-down #2 it may not run depending on where it resides on the server.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is not working. ...Please can I get a prompt help in this regard?

Since we don't know anything about the code you are working with (javascript, vbscript ??) We don't have any error messages, we won't be able to offer much real assistance.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using an ajax dynamic dropdown? If so you probably need to edit some code somewhere.
    Doug G
    =====
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view is always the same - Anon

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gidday,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have gone through the options you have advised.
    There were no code changes done during the application migration from Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2008 R2.
    When an item is selected in dropdown-1 and when tried selecting from dropdown-2, the dropdown itself is not functioning. In a general scenario, atleast "--Select--" should come right? if dropdown is functioning. Even thats not happening. And there is no error message thrown on the page as well as on the status bar.

All question marks I could see to resolve this.

Seeking help,
    ASP_Apln_Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is dropdown being filled by javascript? Do you have any other scripts not functioning on the site since the migration. Try a simple javascript hello world on a new page. See how that goes.

<script type="text/javascript">
    document.write('<b>Hello World</b>');
    </script>
    Joe
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
    is that good men do nothing."

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ASP_Apln_Support: Did you check to make sure that parent paths are allowed in your server?

If your drop-down code includes code from a different directory that the one your page is in, it likely will not run if parent paths are disabled.
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that the values in second dropdrown are based on the value selected in first dropdown. If yes than:

If you are using AJAX to call values into second drop down, than you may need to print the response sent by AJAX script i.e:
    alert(response);
    Printing response in javascript may tell you exactly what is causing the issue.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to enable the 32bit mode.