SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help critique my new website for Moving Home Solutions

Please critique my new website for Moving Home

www.blueboxmoving.com

This is my start-up business that provides On-Screen Moving Quotes.

Please let me know what you think of any of the elements.

Thank you.

Clayton

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very clean, unified colors, I really like the design. A clean design, with the content straight to the point, easy to view the purpose of the website/company.
    I only wonder what's with the Quick Access bar at the bottom, on the homepage: eshop, blog, FAQ - these sections need to be activated and populated at some point.

Advice: move everything 30 pixels higher. There's like 30 pixels of white space at the top, which makes no sense to me.
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. All the Links for the Quick Access bar are fully functioning links. perhaps your page didn't quite load all the way.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Clayton

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The page loaded all the way, I suppose I just passed with the mouse over the images, which are not included in the links. Hovered over the image, saw nothing happening, assumed links were not working. Simple case of bad user assumption/input - one can never foresee what a user might end up doing or what a user assumes about the purpose of a certain visual element.
    www.bluepindesign.com - web design/graphic design/web development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally see your point there. This is why a fresh look at these things are invaluable. Will consider links to the images.

Thank you,

Clayton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite like it, although its not my favourite shade of blue. Agree with what others say about dead space at the top, esp as you need to scroll down to see the last 30 pixels at the bottom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishman View Post
    Quite like it, although its not my favourite shade of blue. Agree with what others say about dead space at the top, esp as you need to scroll down to see the last 30 pixels at the bottom
    Thank you very much for taking the time to view my site. The more subjective views the better. Will give your suggestion sme thought.

Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clayton,

I love the clean design. Easy on the eyes and super simple to grasp upon first arrival. I agree about the whitespace but I'm also seeing a bit of redundancy with navigation. Perhaps you could get rid of the bottom navigation links which only lead to parent categories anyway, and move the 'Privacy', 'Terms', and 'Sitemap' inline with the bottom footer bar.

Also, perhaps consider making the 'Moving Offers' link on the right fixed so it scrolls with the page. That way it's always within easy reach.

Minor, but the 'Back' link at bottom is unnecessary. 'Top' link is great though.

I really like the featured content area on home page.

Overall...awesome site man! Keep up the good work. Spot on.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelHippie View Post
    Clayton,

I love the clean design. Easy on the eyes and super simple to grasp upon first arrival. I agree about the whitespace but I'm also seeing a bit of redundancy with navigation. Perhaps you could get rid of the bottom navigation links which only lead to parent categories anyway, and move the 'Privacy', 'Terms', and 'Sitemap' inline with the bottom footer bar.

Also, perhaps consider making the 'Moving Offers' link on the right fixed so it scrolls with the page. That way it's always within easy reach.

Minor, but the 'Back' link at bottom is unnecessary. 'Top' link is great though.

I really like the featured content area on home page.

Overall...awesome site man! Keep up the good work. Spot on.

Thank you very much for all your comments. I really appreciate the time you have taken here to help us see the other angles. A few people have mentioned the whitespace in the top header. I view the site on a really large widescreen monitor most of the time. This is great for full scope on pages but of course brings about such issues. Will seriously give this issue a second look.

Thank you again for your kind comments. If I can return the reviewing favour at any point, please me me know. Wishing you all the best!

Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a design expert, using IE 1024x768, I found the main page informative and clear. The top orange button going down-up seems out of place. Its not clickable for me unless I go really close to the edge of the screen (right). There's a little bit of scrolling left and right allowed for no apprent benefit.

A marketing point - your first line about your services - "Move as little or as much as you like" is just not a good opener since it doesn't give any valuable information about your company or your services. I thought: O wow, they let me pick what I want to move! (As opposed to them just telling me what they will and will not move!)

Your "About Us" page has a big empty blue space for me, more than 70% of the height of the screen, before any information is listed. So it basically looks like a blank page until I scroll down.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saudi-TOEFL View Post
    Not a design expert, using IE 1024x768, I found the main page informative and clear. The top orange button going down-up seems out of place. Its not clickable for me unless I go really close to the edge of the screen (right). There's a little bit of scrolling left and right allowed for no apprent benefit.

A marketing point - your first line about your services - "Move as little or as much as you like" is just not a good opener since it doesn't give any valuable information about your company or your services. I thought: O wow, they let me pick what I want to move! (As opposed to them just telling me what they will and will not move!)

Your "About Us" page has a big empty blue space for me, more than 70% of the height of the screen, before any information is listed. So it basically looks like a blank page until I scroll down.

Thanks a million for reviewing our site.

We hope to add a video on the site at some point to explain fully how it is our service work. We actually hope to offer a service that moves 'Anything' to 'Anywhere' in the future. For now we are a moving company that will do just that for Home, Business and Students in whatever capacity.

I might be wrong but I think your browser may need updating. I have in the pass experienced display and operating issues when not running the latest version of a browser.

Again it has been very kind of you to take the time. Let me know if I can return the favour.

Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claytonwest View Post
    Thanks a million for reviewing our site.

We hope to add a video on the site at some point to explain fully how it is our service work. We actually hope to offer a service that moves 'Anything' to 'Anywhere' in the future. For now we are a moving company that will do just that for Home, Business and Students in whatever capacity.

I might be wrong but I think your browser may need updating. I have in the pass experienced display and operating issues when not running the latest version of a browser.

Again it has been very kind of you to take the time. Let me know if I can return the favour.

Clayton
    Hello again people. Made some changes to the homepage. Less whitespace at the top of the screen. What do you think?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is not bad, nothing too much and looks very nice!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pleasing design, clean layout, effective logo. Perhaps having the phone number available at the top of all pages would increase telephone inquiries. Also, viewed on iPhone, and didn't notice any technical errors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi clayton! I have three words for your site....I love it! Very clean and symmetrical! I love the Blue Box company name with the color scheme. I believe the combination is very aesthetically pleasing for anyone visiting. Can you design my site??? lol haha just kidding. But seriously, it is a really cool, smooth flowing site. If I were moving, I don't think I would have any problem finding what I needed on your site. The only thing I would suggest is the "moving" the Offers button (lol...pun intended) so that it is more visible to the consumer right off the top. Sometimes, I have been known to click on the offers before I actually click on the services offered. Other than that, I think you are right on target.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trazzy View Post
    The design is not bad, nothing too much and looks very nice!

Thank you for your kind remarks and taking the time to review our site. It's work in progress and we are trying to loo at it from as many subjective angles as possible.

Let e know if I can return the favour.

Clayton.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Codie View Post
    Pleasing design, clean layout, effective logo. Perhaps having the phone number available at the top of all pages would increase telephone inquiries. Also, viewed on iPhone, and didn't notice any technical errors.
    Thank you so much for your review. Put a lot of time into trying come up with simple and effective design and branding for the site and the business. This is the final phase of development for us so will look at the overall placement of all the elements for the footer and header for pages. Thanks again for looking at the displayed result for the iphone. Actually looked at the ipad as well as being one of the mediums that may be more popular for users to use. Time allowed for testing to extend that far. Thankfully we did not realise any browser display issues.

Please do let me know if you need a website reviewed anytime.

Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naughtnotions View Post
    Hi clayton! I have three words for your site....I love it! Very clean and symmetrical! I love the Blue Box company name with the color scheme. I believe the combination is very aesthetically pleasing for anyone visiting. Can you design my site??? lol haha just kidding. But seriously, it is a really cool, smooth flowing site. If I were moving, I don't think I would have any problem finding what I needed on your site. The only thing I would suggest is the "moving" the Offers button (lol...pun intended) so that it is more visible to the consumer right off the top. Sometimes, I have been known to click on the offers before I actually click on the services offered. Other than that, I think you are right on target.
    I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to look through the website and then offer creative feedback. Balance in design was so important to us. The placement of nice looking, somewhat reassuring elements to purpose (subjective) was planned to allow for a nicer place in be in and interact within. The overrall design approach goal was to allow for a clear message to be put out there.

With all that in mind. We tried to include only elements that have a function and/or a purpose. The natural end result came about from throwing out the first design, going with the second re-design, then moving from the top of the homepage to the bottom and re-thinking and improving on each of the elements.

You Offered suggestion for the 'Offers' buttons. I agree with you totally (great minds think alike eh?). Actually what is to happen quite soon is the inclusion of a button above it (With a link to an instructional video - As to how our service works). This will mean a little more will be happening in the corner. The colour of the other button should make that area more noticeable.

Thanks for all the smiley faces. Lol. If you need me to review your Website for you or offer subjective critique. It would be a pleasure. Please let me know anytime.

If you are on Facebook, do join us to see the changes. Updating the page all the time.

:-) Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No prob, Clayton. (there i go with the smileys....i guess i'm just cheesy that way...haha) I will def check out facebook. i will also keep an eye out for your changes...can't wait to see the finished product! re: my site....it's under construction again...right now, the host has made some changes, and the site will be down for another day or so, but once back up, because of all of the wonderful advice on this forum, i am making some serious changes...can't wait for that either! hehe So, once I get it up and running, I will let ya know so you can give me that "subjective critique"! See ya soon!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site, very congruent and you can find what you need with speed and ease. The color scheme is good and current. Very minimal scrolling and my page loaded instantly in Chrome.
    The "offers" button is a little out of place and harder to find, perhaps consider drawing more attention to this,...but then again, I'm probably nitpicking to try to find something. Overall, a great above average site!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good color combination. That's cool.
    But allow me to point some things.

for me, the slider change too fast.
    As an audience, I enjoy slider that bring my eyes to its fullest.
    It's better also if the user has control over it.

there is an empty space above your navigation, and first thing came to my mind
    is the question, 'what's in here?' and the thought that perhaps my network is getting slow.

then I waited. . . .

I guessed it right. the concept is hanging.

Other than that, its perfect!
    congratulations!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmny8 View Post
    Great site, very congruent and you can find what you need with speed and ease. The color scheme is good and current. Very minimal scrolling and my page loaded instantly in Chrome.
    The "offers" button is a little out of place and harder to find, perhaps consider drawing more attention to this,...but then again, I'm probably nitpicking to try to find something. Overall, a great above average site!
    It's so reassuring to know that some of the things we have tried to accomplish here has been seen. The user is all important here in our approach in presenting information, solutions and tools. The overall aim here is to have elements on the site are serving a purpose or that has a function.

There is another button to go in the header next to the 'offers' button, Will wait to see what effect it has on what's going on in that corner visually. I agree with you that something is needed there.

Thank you so much for your kind comments. If I can be of service with a review for yourself. Please please do not hesitate to ask.

Clayton

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by claro View Post
    You have a good color combination. That's cool.
    But allow me to point some things.

for me, the slider change too fast.
    As an audience, I enjoy slider that bring my eyes to its fullest.
    It's better also if the user has control over it.

there is an empty space above your navigation, and first thing came to my mind
    is the question, 'what's in here?' and the thought that perhaps my network is getting slow.

then I waited. . . .

I guessed it right. the concept is hanging.

Other than that, its perfect!
    congratulations!
    It's always wonderful to get a subjective view on something, you get to realize things you thought of as conflicting and/or other angles you might not have realized previously at all. I see your point about the slider and for me it touches on different people liking different things. Giving user control of the sliding here would have definitely been a different direction we may have gone. This would however create a slightly different experience for the user. The thinking here would have been create an automated show with a few images many allowing for the quick rotating in a show type fashion. Again the thinking here would have been 'Let's get the User to interact with functional more solution type solving elements fit to the existence of the website'.

With how the website has been constructed on some slower running networks the site will take a little longer to load. This is due to JavaScript loading up on entry to the page for the first time. We will actively work to improve such things in a number of ways as we move on into the future.

Pun intended, thank you for taking the time to HANG around on our website to give us a review. We are really trying to be innovative with how we do things and provide our services. A lot of time has been out into developing a website like ours. Very important to us is the purpose and overall function of the Website. If I can return some subjective view anything for you please do let me know. Thanks again.

Clayton

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really glad that you recognize that my critique was very subjective..
    All I said is base on my amateur observation/conclusion.
    It was not my intention to hurt or say something that you don't like, I might not deliver
    my part well but my intention is to help at the same time learn something.

Thank you very much for understanding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of the site is very clean and easy to navigate. In the Header you should include a Home Button to quickly get back to the main Page.

Features that work well:
    The main page shows what kind of users you can service as the prime point of the page --> Are you a student, flat owner, business etc. This makes it easy for the user to decide quickly whether the webpage can service his need.
    Users can get immediate relevant information via the callback which builds trust with customers
    The options to buy whole moving packages in the online shop is very enticing as: most people do not know their exact space needs and you offer them a simple and painless solution to buy a set based on home size. I would personally use this and have never seen this on another site.
    You should also emphasize the "Crate Hire" aspect more as this can help your brand to be recognized for its eco friendliness. Personally I find that this section is a little bid hidden and not immediately clicked or browsed.

Technical:
    Load times are short and every link and feature works. Personally in the shop section I would prefer the info for the boxes listed in the overview and not in the popover to facilitate quicker browsing.